Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > The Esato That Once Was

Previous  123 ... 151617  Next
Author The Esato That Once Was
cyanx7
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 22:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i don't think so... we had those problems back in the 'kingdom' days and kept coming back... i think the FAD went out, is all...
The garbage man is happy as a young maiden losing virginity...
I GOTTA GARBAGE THREAD WITH MY NAME ON IT! YEAH!
Shithappens just became my blood brother and Bjerkebanen my blood sister...
kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 22:27
@cyanx--I was posting with @se-man abt 1 hundred posts on a good day, then @masseur locked our threads... (well at least mine and @lynx69's) [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-22 02:48
If you were psoting approximately a hundred Rubbish (Garbage) posts a day then it isn't a great mystery why maseur locked your treads.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
kristaga
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-22 11:16
Quote:

On 2004-05-21 17:25:43, scotsboyuk wrote:
Whilst I do accept that a low post count could very well mean that members are using the search more, it could be indicative of many other things as well. A low post count might mean that the member in question just doesn't post a lot or that they don't have much interest in Esato and only occasionally visit.

Just a short comment. As you see my post count is quite low even though I have been here for a long time. But I do have much interest in Esato and visit quite often. I just don't find it necessary to comment on every subject which I have info about. And if I have a question I use the search first.

If you look at the increasing number of members I think that the percentage of new members asking without searching is the same as usual. The problem is that there is so many more newbies now compared to "the good ol' times".

There is also a problem that the sticky post doesn't show on the "latest posts" page. I always start on that page when visiting Esato.

Kristian André [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-22 13:16
@kristaga

The comment that you quoted is in support of your own point. I was trying to demonstrate that there are various reasons why a particular member's post count might be low; it doesn't do any good to make sweeping generalisations. You, for example, have a low post because you don't feel the need to comment all the time, someone else might have a low post count for one of the reasons I stated previously.
I do take your point about the number of newbies having increased and it would seem to me that we need some form of guidance for them, that would allow them to get the answers they seek much faster and stop them from posting thread after thread of questions that have already been answered. Of course there are probably many newbies who do use the search facility, but there are enough who don't to cause problems. As I have previously said, in my opinion it's the members who are still newbies, but have been around long enough to know better that are the really annoying posters.
I wonder if it would be possible to attach a line of text to every member's posts advertising the search facility.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2004-05-24 02:47 ]
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-23 21:17
Has it ever occurrd to any of you 'long standing veterans' (you know exactly who you are, gentlemen!) that PURELY because ppl such as yourselves, make general assumptions based on postcount, some newer ppl on the board may well feel obliged to first 'post around' since apparently post-count is progressively related with perceived credibility amongst the self proclaimed 'veterans' on this board?

Perhaps you 'veterans' (COUGH!) should stop the general whining and try a new approach: lead by example. If that's too hard, take a look at masseur, one of a dying species on this board: the kind that NEVER feels too good to help out another member, new or old.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-24 03:54
@Vlammetje

I always try and post useful advice, if I have any to give, when someone asks a question.
I agree with you on the issue of the post count, it is complete nonsense to suggest that because someone has a higher number of posts than someone else that it makes them a more knowledgeable or better member in any way. Personally I am in favour of scrapping the post count altogether.
I have asked before what a 'veteran' is, is it something decided on the number of posts a member has or the time someone has been a member for?
I still stick to my point that there are far too many people posting threads similar to ones posted before and posting posts just for the sake of posting. I have nothing against those members who seek answers and cannot find anything by searching, but there are a good number who don't even bother. Are we to answer the same questions over and over again? What happens if we don’t? Will members become sick of Esato and leave because they aren't getting their posts answered?

I am reasonably sure that you weren't directing your post at me, but since I am a windbag who likes the sight of his own typing I felt I simply had to post a reply.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Blexcroid
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-06-03 13:08
[quote]
On 2004-05-22 13:16:44, scotsboyuk wrote:
@kristaga

I do take your point about the number of newbies having increased and it would seem to me that we need some form of guidance for them, that would allow them to get the answers they seek much faster and stop them from posting thread after thread of questions that have already been answered. Of course there are probably many newbies who do use the search facility, but there are enough who don't to cause problems.
Remember, phones that Europe has had for months, sometimes years have technologies that are just NOW coming of age in the US. I also found I had to change my syntax to a Euro format to get searches to work and not give me hundreds of garbage answers to wade through (American English is messed up). Maybe some of the 'problem' newbies are having similar problems. Fortunately, I saw enuf screaming messages that I did several PMs instead of posting a question. Thank you to Masseur, etaab, and several others who have been kind enough to answer questions I couldn't find answers to or get when I searched.
Got Esato?
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-03 13:39
@Blexcroid

You make a very interesting point about syntax and I must admit that it isn't something I have given much thought to; I suppose that since many, if not most, of the members of Esato are European I haven't given it much thought.
The technology issue is also interesting, as you rightly say problems that Europeans faced with their mobiles in the past are perhaps just appearing to North American users.
In my opinion we would all be wise to try and be more tolerant of newbies, but at the same time, I don’t think that it does any good to keep feeding people information without giving them the tools to find that information for themselves.
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2004-06-03 15:07
I use the forum less and less now, and its simply due to the fact that the same subjects seem to come up again and again so there isnt as much info to stimulate my mind! That is my problem though, not the forum and im happy that so many people are obtaining help here!

This is here to help people and more and more users are not like some of the oldies that are in the industry, or connected to it in some way, or enthusiasts. It is a credit to us all that the forum attracts so many people that could be described as average users and its a testiment to the quality of knowledge and threads. This needs to be maintained by the Mods, not through flamming by other users, just to make sure threads are in the correct place and also to watch the subject matter.

The main thing that i cant stand is when you see a thread title that interests you and when you have a read its completely off subject!!!

Group hug people?!
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-04 12:06
Boredom is one of the main problems in my opinion, there are so few really interesting threads these days that people become bored and as a consequence they post more tosh or start silly threads, which aren't very funny and do nothing but start the cycle all over again.
switchbitch
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-04 12:17
I do that quite a lot. [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-04 12:18
Really? I never noticed.
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2004-06-04 12:30
If you only want to read the most popular topics the previous week go to http://www.esato.com/board/hot.php

I have created a script that finds the most popular topics the previous day and collect these on the page mentioned. This "hot topics" collector has been running for a couple of months and is my way to keep up with the forum when I have been away for some time. It is mostly interesting posts found here.
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-04 12:34
All these pages need to be linked on a page somewhere, instead of in random posts in the forum.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic