Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > The Esato That Once Was

Previous  123 ... 14 151617  Next
Author The Esato That Once Was
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-20 03:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The repetitive question issue isn't really the main issue, well as far as I'm concerned anyway, but it is symptomatic of a more general problem; diminishing fun. I remember when Esato used to be a really fun place to be, and to a certain extent it still is, however, I find that Esatonians have become far too serious of late and there is a general lacklustre feel to proceedings these days.
Now before I receive angry replies telling me how horrible I am being towards Esato and what a great place it is I shall explain my point in more detail. If present day Esato is compared with the Esato of a last year then it becomes apparent that we have lost something (and I am not just referring to you know who), there seems to be a general apathy on the part of many Esatonians to engage in the light hearted banter that we once had. This is not to say that everyone is serious all of the time and there are never any funny posts or just general chatting between friends here. Most light hearted conversations seem to be relegated to Rubbish (Garbage) or confined to 'approved threads' in the main forums. If someone makes a funny comment or posts something that is deemed even slightly off topic then, it seems to me, that the thread in question is either locked, moved to Rubbish (Garbage) or seen by Esatonians as being a silly thread not worth bothering about. I remember the time when a serious discussion could also include some witty remarks and friendly banter and not be considered a waste of time. On the other side of the coin we also have an increased number of plain stupid threads and posts that really are worthless and not really of any importance to anyone. At a very basic level there is no balance anymore, which, in my opinion, is the real problem.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
fijbert
K550 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-21 13:00
it turned into an onslaught of dumb, useless threads in a lot of forums
when I was here, I remember seeing the same thread created 8 times in one day...
it made actual information impossible to find..

I remember posts being at an all time high
daily new posts wld b in the thousands for me.. and when clicking that link, I cldnt find any good threads with new information, it was just the same thing repeated.. mostly "Sync problem with P800 and Outlook"
it seemed to hv bothered the more experienced (500+ post, I know.. basing someone on post counts is wrong.. but who r we kidding right? ppl with less than 20posts dont usually hv anything good to bring to the table) users who actually wanted fesh material

I felt like a tech help..
I go on forums to learn, and to help every now and then
not to just help n00bs with simpleton questions that can be answered by RTFM...
I saw a decrease in valuable posts, and an increase in redundance..
that I believe was a problem for a lot of ppl

the forum got redudandent..
no one to blame...
that was my problem...

(I hope my post made sense.. I kinda just woke up)
Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore I am perfect
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-21 13:14
@fijbert

I am in agreement with you and the very issue you raise is still going on today. There are so many people who just post a question anyway, despite that question having been asked and answered several times previously, not that they would know of course, since they never seem to bother searching. Before anyone thinks to reply that many newbies might not realise they can search for previous topics I have two points to make; the first is that I am not aiming my criticism at newbies who have literally just joined and made their first post, rather it is the group of newbies who have been members for a little while and really should know better. My second point is that even the newest of newbies should realise that there is a search function, presuming they have taken the time to read through the rules, etc
I find it so pathetic that we have the same topics posted over and over again despite having been answered so many times before. I would also like to raise the point that many newbies get rather demanding when they aren't given a response right away or when someone posts advice that either doesn't work or isn't completely relevant to the poster.
Couldn't we find out which questions are the most popular and make the thread, which answers a particular question the best, sticky? That would surely solve much of this repeat post nonsense.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
kinc
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 14:40
@ fijbert I just got up!
20 posts might mean people are not posting the same old same but using search.
Just a thought.

[ This Message was edited by: kinc on 2004-05-21 13:47 ]
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 15:04
I have to agree with kinc... [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-21 17:25
Whilst I do accept that a low post count could very well mean that members are using the search more, it could be indicative of many other things as well. A low post count might mean that the member in question just doesn't post a lot or that they don't have much interest in Esato and only occasionally visit.
New members are less likely to use the search, it is a well established fact; one only has to look to see how many threads there are asking questions that have already been answered. I really think we should try to advertise the search function more, if for nothing else it would mean that those looking for answers to a question would probably get an answer much more quickly.
kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 18:30
we need a sticky "USE THE SEARCH" thread ,

Ive answered the same question abt 10 times [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-21 18:37
It is getting rediculous.
kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 18:41
it is indeed.

I'm willing to help newbies who just come to the forum and post once, but when ppl get into the 20-50 post range and keep posting this crap it gets really annoying. [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-21 18:50
Yes, as I said previously, it's the newbies who have been here for a while and should know how things work that are the pests.
fijbert
K550 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-21 21:27
advertising the search function more wont make a big difference

my-symbian tried it.. didnt help much
and their search function is excellent
Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore I am perfect
cyanx7
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 21:34
you're burying ESATO, bro?
The garbage man is happy as a young maiden losing virginity...
I GOTTA GARBAGE THREAD WITH MY NAME ON IT! YEAH!
Shithappens just became my blood brother and Bjerkebanen my blood sister...
kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 21:59
yeah but look at the recent post about p800 videos!!!!

I do all i can to answer newbies' questions, but... sometimes... i cant stand it!!!!! [addsig]
cyanx7
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 22:03
stopped doin' that a long time ago...

... and started garbaging like a dog...

but now garbage is half dead...
The garbage man is happy as a young maiden losing virginity...
I GOTTA GARBAGE THREAD WITH MY NAME ON IT! YEAH!
Shithappens just became my blood brother and Bjerkebanen my blood sister...
Lynx69
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 22:06
Thats because there was too many garbage at first now its hard to get a garbage thread becaue they are usually locked.

>>*Wow 2100+ posts*<<
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 14 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic