well it would have a better screen. Its meant to be a mini handheld pc
dw
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-05-22 11:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2003-05-21 01:13:00, Rewind wrote:
So...I read many review about this phone & I have double opinion...buy or not to buy???
Nokia doesn't plug me at all...but SE T610 has not so good feedbacks, maybe 'coz it's fresh, but it's build in T68 platform.
I think the best way is to wait till SE correct all bugs (and called them features:-)) and the price go down by that time....

What do u think 'bout that?

I couldn't agree more, not everyone can run to servicepoint and upgrade when they need too.
I will also try and wait a while untill the phones they sell in stores
have atleast one or two upgrades in them.
A bonus to that is that the price will have gone down a bit also.
Not that its easy to wait when you want something bad.....

To all the ppl who have used these phones how does it compare in
size to T68i is it alot bigger? I hope it's not..I want small light phones
that you don't feel in the pocket.

dw
steptronic
T300
PM
Posted: 2003-05-22 18:20

Just wanna inform those who said the phone is ugly. If u just see the pics and come to this conclusion then u r wrong! I saw a working T610 and it looks great and built quality is good such as the aluminium part!
oliverlim
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-05-23 17:33
Hi A "short" review of T610 which I had for about a week.

SPEED OF PHONE/MENU

Menu selection have been improved as compared to the T68i. I would put it on par to the Nokia colour phones such as the 6100/6610. I currently have 290 names with multiple numbers for a total over 600+ numbers and scrolling in the phone book is almost instantanous. When scrolling quickly, the phone keeps up with your keystrokes and stops when you do. Unlike the T68i which tends to "buffer" and overrun when scrolling, esp if you go over 250 names.

Holding the joystick to the left brings you to the first option in your shortcut menu. Right brings you to the menu screen. Up to WAP/Internet and down to the first name in your phone book. When in the menu screen you will notice that there are a 3 icons from left to right and 4 icons top to bottom. The correspond to the number pad 1 to #. So pressing the number 3 will bring you to the shortcut menu and 5 brings you to the message menu. There is a button on the right of the phone that brings you to WAP immediately.

SMS

SMS is just a little faster then the T68i. Not by much but still noticable. I would say that it is about the same at the Nokia 6100/6610 colour models which are slower then the Nokia 6510/8310 models. The space has been changed to the # key and "full stop etc" to the 1 key.

A new feature is the ability to add, edit and delete added words. This option is available in "My Words" option under the "More" options when messaging. This is a fantastic improvement.

A point to note though. You can view chinese SMS but at the moment, you are unable to input chinese SMS. This should be fixed in a firmware upgrade soon.

Voice/Tones Quality

The voice speaker is rather warm sounding. Rather like from a Motorola Phone then a Nokia Phone. Would say that it would be loud enough in all but the noisiest enviroment. There is a slight hissing sound from the speaker. There is news from other forums that this will be fixed by changing some chips and shielding or via adjustments.

The T610 also cuts off background noise much better then the T68i which seems to take in background noise too easily. In public area, alot of people has asked me if I am in a disco!! The T610 is much better in this respect but no better or worse then the 6510/8210

The polyphonic Ring Tones sound loud and clear. Defintely sounds better then the 6100/7250 but still not up to the Samsung 40 tones model. The T610 has 32 tones only. Overall it sounds just great and with the right tones, should be heard in any noisy place. Also has a DJ feature on the phone to make your own beat. There are a total of 8 tones to choose for SMS alert. 2 standard ones and 6 SMS polyphonic tones.

It accepts Midi files directly so you can just upload via Bluetooth or Infrared any midi tones you find on any website. Of course up to 32 simultaneous chords only.

LCD Quality

The LCD is bright and clear in normal lighting. Colours are brillant esp. when you compare it with a Nokia 7250/6100. In direct sunlight, it is rather dim. A workaround this is to set the contrast to a little higher then middle and it is acceptable in anything but under direct bright sunlight. The Camera is not too bad. When in capture mode, you can use the up and down joystick to increase or decrease lighting before taking the picture. There is a night mode. Again when comparing the captured image with a 7250, it is better. It equals the Nokia 7650 in some cases esp in brightness/contrast. Samsung is still the best in LCD display. But other then the samsung, I would say this could run a close second.

Build Quality

I would say that the build quality is fantastic. The Smooth aluminum/black LCD feels classy. The phone is very balanced and is not top or bottom heavy. Only problem is that the Black LCD portion does attract dust and smudges too easily. But once you hold it in your hands.... It's a Keeper! You should be able to change the back and front cover with the Red and Blue covers when they are available.

Reception

Reception is fantastic!! Why? In my master bedroom, I usually get 1-2 bars on my T68i. Can still talk but sometimes the other party can't hear me. On my previous 6510, I get 2-4 bars, and not much problem talk or the other party hearing me. T610? 2- 4 bars and not problems hearing or talking!

2nd example is in my left from 11 to 1st floor, the T68 would lose reception totally at around 7th floor and takes about 15 secs to regain it after the lift door opens. T610? I was talking to my wife from 11 floor to the 1st floor and not cut off! Reception at about 1-3 bars. 6510? Can hold a conversation sometimes but must stand right at the door nearest the opening!

3rd example? I sometimes play Mahjong at my friends place at a private house near Hougang. Reception there is bad for M1 and Starhub and there is no reception, repeat no reception for both these telcos unless you are outside the house. Singtel is at about 2 bars. Have seen the same results from Nokia 6100/6610/7210/P800 and my previous Nokia 6510 and T68i on M1 and Starhub. T610? 1-2 bars and a friend called me this morning and guess what? Talked about 1 min with no cut off!!!

Connection speed is fantastic compared to the T68i or my older 6510. Almost instant! I am on M1 and your milage may vary. But I often get connected to voice services like 171* or 1711 before I have the phone at my ear!

Connection speed is fantastic compared to the T68i or my older 6510. Almost instant! I am on M1 and if you call 171* or 1711, I can hear the voice usually before I have the phone at my ear!

Others

1. Memory Allocation problem. Yes it is valid. Files takes somewhat more then the actual size. Guess files have to be saved in blocks of 16K or something like that. No exact number I can see but the end result is that 2MB will result in roughly 1.3MB to 1.5MB instead.
With about 40 pictures, and 20 midi files and 5 themes, 290 names (total 615 numbers), 15 voice dials (Can take up to 50), voice answer, 15 SMS, I still come up with about 400K left. Ya also 2 Java games and 3 Mophun/SE games as well. Pictures fairs the worse and sometimes end up taking twice or more as much as the actual size of the file. Tones and games suffer from this problem to a much lesser degree. Maybe 5 to 10% wastage at times.

2. No SMART Battary indicator. The Status just shows your own HP number and profile and telco provider. Does not show you avialable talk or standby time anymore. Also no more blue or yellow LEDs anywhere. Heard that the Joystick has a LED but have not seen it light up yet.

All in all I would say that I am happy with my purchase so far.

Oliver
pawanr
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-05-24 00:15
Quote:

On 2003-05-23 17:33:16, oliverlim wrote:

SMS

SMS is just a little faster then the T68i. Not by much but still noticable. I would say that it is about the same at the Nokia 6100/6610 colour models which are slower then the Nokia 6510/8310 models. The space has been changed to the # key and "full stop etc" to the 1 key.

A new feature is the ability to add, edit and delete added words. This option is available in "My Words" option under the "More" options when messaging. This is a fantastic improvement.

I cant see the option of "my words" under more!, where exactly do u see this option oliver?

Thanks.
KYUSS
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-05-24 01:32
@oliverlim: Thank you for this excellent review! Especially the reception tests were a relieve for me... (first impression was different)

The red light flashs if the battery is low or your phone is off and loading.

/KYUSS

[ This Message was edited by: KYUSS on 2003-05-24 00:35 ]
markus76
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-05-24 13:54
the picture quality of the camera is really bad! take a look at http://www.mehlau.net/stuff/T610_1.jpg
Swag
Xperia Play Black
PM
Posted: 2003-05-24 14:09
My god! That's horrible!
oliverlim
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-05-24 15:24
Quote:

On 2003-05-24 00:15:39, pawanr wrote:
Quote:

SMS

I cant see the option of "my words" under more!, where exactly do u see this option oliver?

Thanks.

When you are in a new msg screen.... key a word then click on the "more" softkeys... you should be able to see my words as one of the options.

Oliver
quanax
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-05-24 16:44
is it possible to use t68i's phone book backup into t610 ?
pawanr
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-05-24 19:09
I guess this only works with the T9, i was using multitap therefore i guess i couldnt see it

Quote:

On 2003-05-24 15:24:05, oliverlim wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-05-24 00:15:39, pawanr wrote:
Quote:

SMS

Thanks.

When you are in a new msg screen.... key a word then click on the "more" softkeys... you should be able to see my words as one of the options.

Oliver

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi