Author T610 - Still not sure? - My review
ratGT
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-05-20 04:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
THIS GOES TO EVERYBODY INTRESTED IN THE T610:

(-) Negative Stuff About The Phone:

- The hissing sound does exist on all T610 phones.
(It is though, as pointed out, ONLY noticeable when very quite. Personally, I don't mind)

- Picture, polyphonic and software files consume more memory than they should.
(Ex. a 20KB picture might consume 40KB)

- The time can be barely seen when on standby-mode. The screen is too dark in comparison to T68i
(You have to place the T610's screen against light in order for it to be seen)

- For the ones that liked the choice for the 'clicking-sound' when pressing the buttons, you will miss it here!

(+) Positive Stuff About The Phone:

- Very light and slim.

- Extremely elegant appearance and feeling.
(Both the aluminum and the plastic parts give a luxurious feeling.)

- Screen resolution and colors are extremely attractive!

- Excellent compatibility with most other mobiles, both through IrDA and Bluetooth.

- Sound and polyphonic ringtone reproduction is excellent.

- Mophun games look and work better then ever!

- Extras on the phone are very satisfactory - Unlike most other mobile brands...

- Bluetooth file exchange and synchronization with my computer works flawlessly! Just like T68i! (Through MAC OS X 10.2.6, on my PowerBook)

- The new buttons might seem strange in the first days of the phone usage, but will pay off when you will get used to them! They save you a lot of time!

- Haven’t come across any software/ hardware problems that make the phone unusable or in need for an update (Unlike most new phones that come out past years and need an immediate an update).

- The camera is good enough. And it will be perfect and one of a kind with the camera-flash add-on!

- It will be a dream with the Bluetooth Handsfree MP3 player! (No cables!!!)

ANSWER TO BAD COMMENTS THAT I'VE HEARD ABOUT THE PHONE:

1 REMARK: "The phone doesn't support other phone maker's Java software, or has bad speed when loaded..."
ANSWER: You say it yourselves buddies! It is other phone's software. Not Sony Ericsson's Java software. "But it is still Java!" you might say. Well yeah, Java that has been optimized for the specific phone makes. Try for instance the Nokia Java software on a Siemens phone - The result? It'll will barely work, or most likely, not at all! So, expect Sony Ericsson optimized Java software…

2) REMARK: "The phone's screen isn't that visible against the sun..."
ANSWER: Oh common guys! You're saying this as if it is first time you come across such a problem! It is like that with the latest phone models screens, even for Nokia, Siemens, Panasonic, etc. That's what's up with TFT and STN screens!

3) REMARK: "There is no led showing the battery's condition..."
ANSWER: Oh yes there is! There is a red led flashing when battery is bad, embodied in the in the tip of the joystick! (Of course, it is not flashing so it'll been seen from hundreds of meters away!...)

4) REMARK: "The joystick is placed in a bad position. Have to move my hand around..."
ANSWER: I have to admit that my hands are kind of small. But still, while holding the phone on my hand, I can reach all the buttons very comfortably! So, I don't understand what some people mean when the buttons are to spaced-out, or placed in wrong place...

5) REMARK: "The joystick is harder to control than T300..."
ANSWER: Ehm... No! I've owned a T300, and the T610's joystick is easier. The tip of the joystick is a bit more extended, which gives you a better handling.

6) REMARK: "The menu is slow when using a theme..."
ANSWER: Sorry, but I initially tried the phone with its basic theme and it worked smoothly. Then I continued using it with the rest of themes, and I couldn't tell any difference!

7) REMARK: "The phone is like a brick" - "The phone is ugly"
ANSWER: Besides that phone-designs are a matter of taste (that's why brands and models vary so much!), I guess that the ones that write these comments have never got one in their hands, or would like to but don't have the bucks for it and therefore are pissed-off, or they are fanatic users from the 'opposite' phone brands making mindless and non-logical comments.

8) REMARK: "The phone does not impress on the pictures I've seen..."
ANSWER: As I said above, you see one in real life and hold it your hands to really understand how great and exclusive it is! The pictures are really unfair! When I first bought it and examined it, I was amazed... Now, I'm in love with it!

9) REMARK: "The T610 is not a worthy T68i successor..."
ANSWER: Sorry, but no logic in that comment as well. Not a worthy successor? In what terms? Technologically? The 256 colors, simple speaker, normal screen of T68i, to the 65,000 colors, polyphonic capable speaker, high resolution STN screen, built-in camera, Mophun & Java capabilities of the T610, is not a advancement? Not a worthy successor? Oh give me a break!!! And, if the design is the only reason why you're still stuck to T68i, prepare yourself to get stuck to T610 once you own one!

PS. It looks like the 1-2, almost non-existing problems, are going to be solved with the next software update.

PS.2 It is a real advancement in the mobile market. It is surely going to raise the stakes among the mobile makers, and it'll result to hotter goodies for us!

PS.3 Don't compare the various mobile brands with each other. It seems like each and every one of them has taken a separate, specific way. Just go for the one that suites, looks and feels best for you...

PS.4 I've owned and tried the greatest models which Ericsson, Sony Ericsson and Nokia had to offer up until now, plus some Siemens, Panasonic and Alcatel models. Which means that what I'm writing is from my quite good experience with mobile phones, and not from my imagination, guessing or someone else's opinion!

PS.5 Yes, I take into consideration other people's opinions and respect them. I DON'T TOLERATE THOUGH liars, 'fanatic' and egoistic people...

HAR DET BRA - ANTE GEIA!

nocturnalchipmunk
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 04:42
very nice review.. very organized... hmm.. i still don't know if i should get this phone (i still wish it had a speakerphone!! ) ... or get the nokia 6100 (much cheaper and i don't need a camera) anyways.. nice review... very simple but gets the point across.. nice
Taste the rainbow, sweetheart!
^ Brings Back Memories, eh? I Miss All of you Garbagians!
jyrgen_no1
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 05:04
Jag prövade den i affären i går den vackraste mobilen jag sätt. Att allt detta får plats i en sådan vacker skapelse \"tuff brud i lyxförpackning\" jag trodde T68 skulle bli deras snyggaste. Men detta slår allt. Så stil ren och funktions duglig att man nästan svimmar.

This message was posted from a T300

djk
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-05-20 08:19
I just think you, so-called "quite good experienced phone users" , are just protecting the T610 and don't want people to say something bad about it.

Okay, nevermind.
But I want to tell you why I have posted such bad comment:

"The phone doesn't support other phone maker's Java software, or has bad speed when loaded..."

Firstly, I want to let all Nokia users know that, their Javas will not work on T610. Secondly, I know every phones mostly have their own API, but I found that even some MIDlets do not use Nokia or Siemens' extensions and APIs, the MIDlets still run very very slowly on the phone.

"The phone's screen isn't that visible against the sun..."

Again, I want to let others know the true. Do you prefer I don't mention this bad thing to others? My T68i is also using STN screen but it shows a lot better than my T610 under sunlight.

"The joystick is harder to control than T300..."

Sorry I have owned a T300 also. Why I cannot say my own opinion??? Different people have different value judgement! Seems that you just want to reject my opinion.

Is it really we T610 users cannot post anything bad about the phone, and just always say "IT IS THE BEST!!!", "THIS BAD THINGS ARE COMMON GUYS"??? Sorry, I'm not a die-hard SE fans, and not just point out bad comments from imagiation.
caff
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 08:29
Everyone should be allowed to have his/her own comments !! We all should feel free to comment whatever we want !!!
iyiinsan
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-05-20 08:39
1) The hissing is not a problem; just lower the volume (it works with T65)

2) Memory isn't a problem too; You can upload your pics, melodies an themes from your phone to wap.sonyericssonmobile.com (both wap&web)

3) I don't need a speakerphone because I don't want other people to hear my conversations... I am thinking of buying the desktop speakerphone of which is more useful (you can plug in a charger or a data-cable)...

4) I think the clicking sound is annoying so I don't need it.

jona
T630
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 09:42
Why is not being able to play nokiagames that big a problem? Ok, they should play, java is supposed to be an universal standard. But i bet SE games will not work on nokiaphones as well. You just need games specifically made for your phone.

This message was posted from a T68i

slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 09:44
i think the problem with the t610 is it been built up to much.for months and months even before it was announced people were saying what it was going to do and be like.
now its out for some people i think it maybe a let down for some people who expexted more/better.
i have yet to get my hands on one so have no comment to make.
people who have tried can have there own opionon if you think it crap fair enough but try to give reasons why
if you think its great also give good reasons( and not just cos its se and there the best)
i think you have to give it a few months as well till it gets launch in bigger markets as you may see more software etc coming out for it and more developers adapting programs
and if you still dont like it just sell it and get something new
janahan
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 10:47
every man has his nag, and every horse has its day.

I personally didnt like the feature set of the T610, though i loke its looks, and thats why I went for the P800. Its JAVA implementation is perfect, and FAST! The phone is BIG.. and no way compares to the lseeker T68i, or T610 (or even the T300). Plus i needed a DECENT screen that CAN be seen in daylight, and find the P800 was GREAT, even with the backlight off.

The T610 java speed shoudl NOT be a concern. SE decided to implement a standard J2ME standard, and they stuck to it. In the long run its better to implement standards, rather than proprietry stuff. Secondly the primary gaming platform for the T610 is morphun, which i am sure has more than satidfactory operation. Nokias and seimens dont have morphun.

However this was my choice, and i am happy. There are others who prefer different. Each one prefers different, even different brands.

The thing was, until recently, if you wanted an ericsson, the only high end phoen you had was the T68i, there wasnt a "range". Now we have a fair range of phoens for different needs. there will always be a balence that needs to be struck, u cant have a small phone with poly, fast java, TFT screen, mophun, themes, 200mhz processor, long battery life, etc etc.. some compromises HAVE to be made.

CHoose yoru features & price, then choose the phone, just like I did.
Owned (order of purchase): Nok 8110, Nok 6150, Nok 8210, Nok 6210, Eric r320s, Eric T68m, SE T300, SE P800, SE T610, SE S700i, Mot V3i, SE K800i
ppcrockar
P990
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 11:06
As I posted in another thread yesterday. The hissing sound problem is now fixed by SE.
michelle318
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 11:25
ratGT
i totally agree with what u said
ive made the same comment on a hk forum as well, but of course some ppl dont agree, but oh well, im very happy with that

i have even activated GPRS on my phone, first time to use GPRS/WAP, via vodafone(sydney) and it's great

what im looking for next is some chinese ringing tones for T610...

with the hissing problems, yeah while i was reading all the -ve comments about T610 and at the same time, excited, looking forward to receiving my phone sent via hk speedpost

but when i had it, made my first call in a very very quiet room, the other party, didnt even know im on a new phone, probably think im still on my old nokia8210, and we have chatted for nearly an hour or more, she didnt say anything at all about the conversation ... etc .. though i can feel alittle bit, but i think it's becoz of the echo or maybe sony ericsson has made the earpiece louder (or i dunno the mechanics of it, but u can feel they r trying to pick up as soft voice as possible)

and i started to use my HPR-20 fm radio handsfree, of course reception isnt that clear when u go into train station or carpark, but i can bear with it, my main point is just to have a "special handsfree"
and i didnt feel any hissing noise at all though the handsfree

also i dont find memory a big problem to me, maybe it's becoz i dont have the need to download themes,pictures, but just one simpsons ringing tone for now, and i personaly dont find those default pictures pretty, so deleted 7 (47 altogether) and it does free up alot of memory

i did a master reset to see if the default pictures will come back, well it didnt, but i didnt feel pity for it, coz i really dont like them, i in fact would like to delete all 47 of them, but im not annoyed with the free memory i got now (1045kb), so not bothering to delete them

may ask SE a questoin about how to get the default pictures back later when i have tme, but for now im happy with the t610

im not disappointed ... heaheh
ratGT
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-05-20 13:03
Well, as I expected after writing the review, I would have to write back again and answer some 'misunderstandings'.

To member JDK:
Buddy, first of all, I don't know you. Writing back to me as if I was referring only to you,, gives me the impression that you've misunderstood the whole point of my review. I wasn't referring to anybody in person, and correct me I'm wrong, neither did I mention your name, or anybody else's name in my review! So don't take it personally.

Second of all, it is very bad of you to doubt my experience and knowledge upon mobiles, as you don't even know me. Because I'm sure that back in 1991, when I was using my first mobile phone in Sweden, the Ericsson GH 198, not many around the world even knew about fully digital mobile phones or about the GSM network. Since then, I've owned all the 'brake through' mobile phones, starting of with Ericsson, and along the years many Nokia’s (My first Nokia was the 2110), and some Siemens, Panasonic, Alcatel, and a few other crapy mobile makes (By Toshiba, Maxon and few other 'out-of-space' mobile makers.)

Thirdly, as for the Java capability you mentioned my friend, I have to tell you that the T610's Java implementation, is of the few out in the mobile market that support the 'standard' Java, and not any some 'altered version'. And don't mention to me that you were only referring to the Nokia users! It's as bad as to say "Listen all of you Siemens users! Don't buy Nokia mobile phones, because your Siemens Java games won't work on them!"... WHAT A LAME EXCUSE!!!

As for the T610 screen, I'm not saying that it doesn't show bad against the sun. I'm just saying that the way you commented on it, it looked like you where telling us that this problem came up first on the T610's screen. You had to point out that it has THE SAME PROBLEM as ALL the newer high-resolution phone models have - Whether it's Nokia, or Siemens, or Pancasonic.

As for the T300 and the T610 joystick, I didn't reject your opinion. I respect it, and it can surely be the case for you. I just pointed out what you didn't - That the joystick is a matter of someone's hand size (For me for instance, the T610's joystick 'sticks' better on my thumb.)

And last, but not least, if I was to be a die-hard fan blinded by the SE phones, I wouldn't have posted the quite important, negative comments about it, would I? Put some logic in you mind before you type things and publish them for other people to see! It simply doesn't make sense!

Bucky
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-05-20 15:06
@ratGT
totally agree with you. Must have felt guilty(you did not even mention any names), that's why rebut you. I have even seen a whole list of SE faluts from a particular web page from HK. Accuse pple of being a sony fan that's why dun like negative comments!? Just wonder why buy T610 when knowing SE will be a disapointment even before buying it.

[ This Message was edited by: Bucky on 2003-05-20 14:12 ]
Yellow-Hollow
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 15:18
RatGT =)Thank you very much for the review, though I haven't read it yet.. I'm going to do it know.. it looks well organized and very well done =)
suzy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-05-20 15:33
Thanx ratGT,
very good review, unfortunately I have just ordered a nokia 7250 instead of a T610. I have alwys used SE phones T28 T68m/i T300 but the design of SE has always been a let down, only the T68 was something special it broke the mould of square phones but SE loves the square and I love curves

I'll tell you what i think of the 7250 when it arrives later this week.

bye bye SE :=(
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi