Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia Lumia 1020

Previous  123 ... 323334 ... 707172  Next
Author Nokia Lumia 1020
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-09 15:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Can someone please buy one and post a few shots. That would save you guys a lot of links to post.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-10 18:27
Coming to UK this Thursday

http://www.wpcentral.com/noki[....]hone-slated-invade-uk-thursday
Phone?? What phone??
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 04:16

On 2013-09-09 15:36:00, hihihans wrote:
Can someone please buy one and post a few shots. That would save you guys a lot of links to post.

I'm tempted because when I took this photo the other night with my 808, I couldn't help but to wonder .... If I had a 1020, shooting the same shot at iso 400, would this image have come out this clean?... If so, I might be game to buy one because this is about as demanding as I need to ever be.... thoughts? or better yet, if you have a 1020, what is your experience in similar lighting at 400/800 iso ?

[addsig]
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 07:41
^ doubtful mate.. the 808's algorithm cleans up the noise better than the 1020, at least based on the tests I've done with a store 1020 unit.

The smaller sensor doesn't help either.

Considering that you know exactly what you are doing with the 808 when it comes to settings, I doubt that you will be able to get a better result out of the 1020. You might be able to do so in auto mode, so you don't have to worry about manual settings and having to stay still as much, but overall.. I don't think that you will be satisfied with the results from the 1020.

I would recommend stopping by AT&T and checking one out.. snap a few pics, transfer over to the 808 via Bluetooth, and compare yourself.
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 12:32

On 2013-09-11 07:41:34, cu015170 wrote:
I would recommend stopping by AT&T and checking one out.. snap a few pics, transfer over to the 808 via Bluetooth, and compare yourself.

Funny you should say that... the AT&T store is right next to where I took that picture... I was playing with it in the store but when I went into camera roll, could not find the "bluetooth" option. The only options I saw was a few different email accounts, flicker, facebook and via messaging... stuff like that. Where do you go to bluetooth an image from the phone?? I'm sure I would have eventually figured it out but was pressed for time (to go drink beer!) [addsig]
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 16:27

I would strongly recommend you not to do so, or at least not to post the results here, we've seen enough bad pictures already .

Why? Well, you both, cu15170 and mlife, have an 808, we've enjoyed many of your excellents pics.
Do you remember, that some of the first 808 pics, posted by bloggers after a short hands-on, were disappointing, to say the least? (I hope you do, as some on here have chosen to forget them.) People said: "Is that the 41 megapixel phone, heck, even my 8mp [insert brand here] takes better photos!" Still some saw the potential, bought it, and now we're seeing superb photos, taken by real owners, who had plenty of time to get to know the phone and to find out the best settings for every situation. Of course, the 808 received a few software updates in the meantime, but the main reason, some bloggers had these bad results, was, that they had only an hour or even less with the phone, and they wanted to rush out the photos, as, being the first to publish, is important in the blogosphere, forums from all over the world will link to your post and links=clicks=money, which unfortunately is more important than quality, to some bloggers.

So, do you think it's possible to go into a shop, grab a phone (probably secured with a cable, so you can't even chose the best angle), and, without knowing the best settings for that particular phone in that situation, nor knowing the use of ProCam (excellent app, when you know, how to use it!), to take a picture that'll do justice to both the phone and your ability as a mobile photographer?

I doubt it.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 18:18

On 2013-09-11 12:32:02, mlife wrote:

Funny you should say that... the AT&T store is right next to where I took that picture... I was playing with it in the store but when I went into camera roll, could not find the "bluetooth" option. The only options I saw was a few different email accounts, flicker, facebook and via messaging... stuff like that. Where do you go to bluetooth an image from the phone?? I'm sure I would have eventually figured it out but was pressed for time (to go drink beer!)

WP is funny like that you have to go into the settings first, turn it on from there, and then when you go to the cam roll and click on "share" it will have the BT option.

hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 19:34
Listen to Marly guys. Some wise words she wrote.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:29

On 2013-09-11 16:27:28, Marly wrote:

So, do you think it's possible to go into a shop, grab a phone (probably secured with a cable, so you can't even chose the best angle), and, without knowing the best settings for that particular phone in that situation, nor knowing the use of ProCam (excellent app, when you know, how to use it!), to take a picture that'll do justice to both the phone and your ability as a mobile photographer?

I doubt it.

You can see the raw IQ of the sensor, which is what I personally care about. I am sure that many of us here can extract the maximum out of the 1020, but whatever we do .. we can't improve the quality of the jpegs it produces.

I don't know if you remember, but a few days before Nokia launched the 808 someone in China leaked a few random images from the 808, all it took for me is to look at one of them and see that there is tons of potential. The noise levels were so low .. I almost didn't believe that they were from a phone, but the color reproduction, focal length, and resolution convinced me that it was indeed a Nokia device.

There was non of that with the 1020. From the very first official shots Nokia posted, to this very day, every image a look at.. I can see grain/noise levels that are inferior to the 808.. I don't think that having experience with the device would help that in any way.

Yes, composition, exposure.. maybe some post processing will help, but if you don't have the initial raw quality from the source, there isn't much you can do.

And don't forget, we are talking about pixel peeping here.. if you just look at the images at 1000x600 .. the 1020 might actually look better than the 808.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 22:12
The thing is, we're talking about the 1020 taking poorer images using Nokia's pro camera app. Potentially, that app could be improved to the point that the quality it produces could rival if not beat the 808.

The 808 gets such brilliant shots from hardware. The 1020 uses similar if not better hardware. It has OIS for goodness sake ! The problem is the camera app. I can just imagine in six months time, the 1020 will have had several app updates, OS updates and such.. then theres also the possibility that a third party could create their own app which gives the same controls as Nokia's, but with raw image details rather than silly sharpening or colour saturation.

As much as I love the 808 and would love one, or just to see one in the flesh, I think i'd choose the 1020 for its potential rather than what it is now. Four second shot to shot time ? far too long, I cant see Nokia settling for that !
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-09-12 00:44

On 2013-09-11 22:12:45, etaab wrote:
The 1020 uses similar if not better hardware.

That's exactly the thing.. it doesn't. The 3 most important aspects are in fact inferior:

1. The sensor is smaller
2. The lens is not as precise, it blurs the image toward the edges.
3. Weaker Xenon flash

You are correct on the software side of things, it will only get better.. can't really get worse. But you can't compensate for all of that with just software.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2013-09-12 08:30 ]
TeeGee
Nokia Lumia 925
PM
Posted: 2013-09-12 02:03
This may all be true, but don't you think it's pointless, to keep comparing this smartphone not with its competitors, but with a phone people can't even buy, because it's EOL and running on a dead OS? Even if Symbian phones had some qualities that modern smartphones are missing, people didn't want to buy them anymore.
Wouldn't it be better, for those of you, who think, the most important thing on a smartphone is the camera, to buy a cheap phone and a real camera, a DSLR with one or two good lenses? And when you want perfection, don't look for it in phones, or even DSLRs, get a Hasselblad.
And yes, I do know, what I'm talking about, I have an 808PV, a Nikon and an old Hasselblad, still with film .
But my smartphone for daily use is the Nokia Lumia 925 and will soon be the Lumia 1020 .
[ This Message was edited by: TeeGee on 2013-09-12 01:07 ]

Live and let live, how hard can it be ?
Sonysta
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-09-12 02:56
There is no software update that corrects hardware problems !

1020 has a lower lens... Absolutely all units tested, show bizarre distortions in the images !

Not to mention that if BSI sensor and OIS were vital for a superior image quality, Lumia 920, Lumia 925 and Htc One would be the best cameraphones in the world and in fact are among the worst !

The truth is one, 808 PureView is and will remain the best cameraphone in the world !
[ This Message was edited by: Sonysta on 2013-09-12 01:59 ]
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2013-09-12 03:45
So..... went back to AT&T today and played with the 1020 for a bit... took some pictures and sent them to my phone. Got home and reviewed images but decided to not even expend the time or effort posting them as a comparison due to the fact that in my eyes there really is none.

In all fairness though, I must say that there are some very INTRIGUING things about the 1020. If I did not already own a 808pv, I would have purchased the 1020 today based on the camera interface, manual controllability, max/min shutter speeds and windows platform. Although the 808 images are clearly better while pixel peeping, I (as I bet 98% of the world) never print images from my phone and don't absolutely require the level of images produced by the 808. Having said that however, I can't justify taking a KNOW step backward in image quality while simultaneously increasing how much I pay monthly considering I don't even really use anything other than text, foursquare and my camera.

long story short, Ill hold out for a bit longer.... I think I just want something new. [addsig]
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2013-09-12 04:24

On 2013-09-12 03:45:08, mlife wrote:

I think I just want something new.

That's the "problem" with most of us here, I guess: even though our "old" phone is still working fine and does everything we need, we simply want a new "toy" once in a while
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 323334 ... 707172  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic