Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for 2012 Xperia devices rolling out from mid Q1 2013

Previous  12
Author Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for 2012 Xperia devices rolling out from mid Q1 2013
RandomCarpet
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-10-23 20:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Xperia S, Acro S and Ion will receive JB in November 2012
Xperia P, U, Sola and Go - in December 2012
Xperia T, TX, V in January 2013

Samsung is better than SE/Sony in terms of (timely) Android upgrades only as far as top end devices are concerned. They never upgrade their mid and low end devices even if they promise to. For example Galaxy S Advance was released in April this year and was supposed to receive ICS, but I don't believe this will ever happen.

The only Samsung phones that received any kind of Android version upgrade(s) so far are:

Galaxy S: 2.1 -> 2.2 -> 2.3
Galaxy S2: 2.3 -> 4.0 -> (supposedly 4.1)
Galaxy R: 2.3 -> 4.0
Galaxy S3: 4.0 -> 4.1
Galaxy Note: 2.3 -> 4.0 -> 4.1

BTW, The processor used in the 2011 Xperias is in general better than the processor in Xperia Tipo and J. But it's older and is not optimized for ICS and JB at all. The processor of Tipo and J is worse, but newer and it has some ICS optimization, that's why these devices perform better than the 2011 Xperias under ICS.
[ This Message was edited by: RandomCarpet on 2012-10-23 19:10 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-10-23 20:23
Well,I recently possessed for a few weeks the Xperia Miro running ICS and believe me it was pretty smooth for what it was spec wise. The browser was very speedy and smooth as was panning around menus. Having 800mhz and 512 ram on ICS it ran really well. I never kept it coz I realised I was getting eye strain with the HVGA screen
Phone?? What phone??
bluechip
Sony Xperia Sola
PM
Posted: 2012-11-23 16:45

On 2012-10-23 20:03:18, RandomCarpet wrote:
Xperia S, Acro S and Ion will receive JB in November 2012
Xperia P, U, Sola and Go - in December 2012
Xperia T, TX, V in January 2013

Samsung is better than SE/Sony in terms of (timely) Android upgrades only as far as top end devices are concerned. They never upgrade their mid and low end devices even if they promise to. For example Galaxy S Advance was released in April this year and was supposed to receive ICS, but I don't believe this will ever happen.

The only Samsung phones that received any kind of Android version upgrade(s) so far are:

Galaxy S: 2.1 -> 2.2 -> 2.3
Galaxy S2: 2.3 -> 4.0 -> (supposedly 4.1)
Galaxy R: 2.3 -> 4.0
Galaxy S3: 4.0 -> 4.1
Galaxy Note: 2.3 -> 4.0 -> 4.1

BTW, The processor used in the 2011 Xperias is in general better than the processor in Xperia Tipo and J. But it's older and is not optimized for ICS and JB at all. The processor of Tipo and J is worse, but newer and it has some ICS optimization, that's why these devices perform better than the 2011 Xperias under ICS.
[ This Message was edited by: RandomCarpet on 2012-10-23 19:10 ]

Will JB be available for SOLA..??
coz, i guess SONY has made a statement regarding JB will not be available to SOLA and U models.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-23 19:31
Well am happy my Xperia P will get this although am not happy today cos they sent me one with a faulty earpiece
Phone?? What phone??
bronxdude
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2012-12-18 02:02
Sony Mobile has updated on its plans to roll out Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to its 2012 Xperia line-up. As expected, the JB roll out will commence in February 2013 with the new Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V being updated first. Sony says the Jelly Bean update for these phones will take place between February and March 2013.

The next batch of phones (Xperia P, Xperia go and Xperia J) will be updated from the end of March. Following this, the Xperia S, Xperia SL, Xperia ion and Xperia acro S will be updated from April onwards. Unfortunately, Sony Mobile confirmed that a number of lower-end Xperia handsets will not be updated to Jelly Bean. This includes the Xperia U, Xperia sola, Xperia miro and Xperia tipo.

http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]budget-models-wont-be-updated/
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-12-18 02:58
No manufacturer updates Android quickly. You want the latest? Get a Nexus.

I'm happy with my Xperia P. I like Sony's designs more than any other Android manufacturer.

Oh, the Samsung Galaxy Blaze (which has better specs than the P) just got ICS a month or so ago. Who knows when JB will arrive on that model. So unless you're a Galaxy "S" user, you're more out of luck than Sony owners.

What I would prefer, however, is an unofficial, out-of-warranty, one-click root app from Sony to allow other vanilla ROMS to be loaded easily.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-12-18 07:05
Wait a minute, werent the Xperia S, Ion, Acro S etc... meant to get the update now in December??? Wonder what changed, by the time this 4.1 update arrives to Sony phones, other OEMs will be updating their phones to 4.2, heck even the almost 2yrld Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note 1 will be on 4.1. Oh dear Sony...
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-12-18 10:22
By the looks of many comments on Xperia Blog many people have had enough of Slow Sony and are moving to other manufacturers. Seems to me the longer Sony deliberately keep 2012 handset owners waiting,they get so fed up and buy the latest one hence more money.
Phone?? What phone??
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2012-12-18 10:59

On 2012-12-18 07:05:00, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Wait a minute, werent the Xperia S, Ion, Acro S etc... meant to get the update now in December???

Pleast, read first post in this thread. Sony has never stated anything about JB in December.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-12-18 11:53
Bono

That would explain a lot. Atleast Xperia T and TX users are getting the update 1st, what is quite funny though is how the Sony Xperia J , Sony Xperia P and Sony Xperia go are getting the update before Xperia S, Xperia SL, Xperia ion and Acro S, despite these being the original flagships.

Arne Anka

Yes, my bad, i must've picked that up whilest reading through a thread here, some were saying that Xperia S should get the update in December but Sony themselves never said so, either way, glad im not a XS owner, this is just so unfair, the XS was the 1st 2012 flagship yet it seems to be a very low priority to Sony, explains why so many Xperia S users are moving to the Xperia T.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-12-18 16:21
Sony needs urgently a Nexus device...
I Will be the first one to get it.
Haribolman
Sony Xperia Acro S
PM
Posted: 2012-12-22 06:03

On 2012-12-18 16:21:33, pt020 wrote:
Sony needs urgently a Nexus device...

No. Sony needs to listen to it's own press releases. Specificially the one apologising for stuffing around their customers with previous slow updates and ensuring it wouldn't happen again. It hasn't changed. Sony, your software department sucks...BIG TIME!
Why Be Normal?
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2012-12-22 15:07
Personally I still don't get what's so good about getting the latest software?

While true there are some apps that run only on ICS and newer, but most are compatible with gingerbread. To me having a stable bugfree software is the most important thing. My Xperia Go is on gingerbread, never updated it to ICS and it runs perfectly smooth and still does everything I want in an android phone. I will only update if there really is something beneficial from it such as making it more bugfree and efficient.

I've always believed that the latest isn't the greatest, and it's true that recent software needs faster hardware (it has mostly been that way with technology).

Just like in a computer, we still have our old Pentium 4 and it runs win XP perfectly fine, I can put windows 7 on it, but what will win 7 improve or do on an old pentium 4? none, only some better games/programs compatibility but that's it, and it'll definitely even run slower than win XP does on that computer.

The only thing that I didn't like from sony was that the ICS they released for older phones was slower and buggy as complained by users, but then again the bottom line was the user had a choice whether or not to update, plus I think they released ICS because a lot of people were constantly bugging them to make an ICS release when in fact everything is working fine on gingerbread, why ask for a fix it if it ain't broken?

I would understand people's complaint's if the phone was truly left behind with an obsolete android version, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2012-12-22 14:09 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi