Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for 2012 Xperia devices rolling out from mid Q1 2013

12  Next
Author Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for 2012 Xperia devices rolling out from mid Q1 2013
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2012-10-19 14:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://blogs.sonymobile.com/p[....]n-for-2012-xperia-smartphones/

Hello everyone,

There’ve been a fair few questions here on the blog, our support forum and our social media channels, regarding upgrade plans for Android 4.1 (also known as Jelly Bean). Today we are happy to give you a bit of an update.

Our latest models, Xperia T and Xperia TX are shipping across global markets as you read this post, and Xperia V is on the way shortly – these smartphones will begin to receive the upgrade to Jelly Bean from mid-Q1 2013.

Next up, we can confirm the global versions of Xperia S, Xperia acro S, Xperia ion, Xperia P, Xperia go and Xperia J will be upgraded to Android 4.1* – we will be back with detailed timings for these in due course.

We were glad to provide the Android 4.0.4 upgrade for our 2011 Xperia portfolio across most markets and the majority of models but, after thorough evaluation, we have concluded they will not be upgraded beyond Ice Cream Sandwich.

Beyond Ice Cream Sandwich we would not able to guarantee owners of these smartphones the user experience you expect and we demand. We will however, continue to support all these products with firmware maintenance releases.

As usual, the only official software update news will be found regularly here on the blog and we’ll keep you posted as soon as we have news to share.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop them below.

Will…

*Availability and rollout timing will vary by market and customer variants.

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2012-10-19 14:09 ]
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-19 18:35
Haha, SGS3 already got it JB, SGS2 JB will come next month, HTC is going to release its JB update in 1-2 weeks, Sony are you last again? And no JB for the 2011 Xperias? Well, Sony, whatever you end up doing today, why don't you just go f*ck yourself?
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2012-10-19 19:12
I request the mod to suspend mediar for 1 week using foul language

And if he's not, please show me where it's written if you use "*" for abusive words are ok.

@mediar I get it. I'm as upset as you are. I want things to work flawless too but it's a company which has been recovering from the losses that it has made. It's still far more better than what it was last year. Give some time. Run a business you will know what it takes. Sure their management sucks and their services too. If you say they made bad phones this year, ok agreed. So what? Move on. The point is, There is no need to go mad. At the end we all love technology as much as you do and if you choose to move and buy another phone you're always welcome to do that. Why always be negative? Start posting on those threads where you like something, at least it will give you some joy. Why be an asshole? I know you not doing this purposely to make everyone mad cause you have valid points down right there. It's not like you do this for fun. I see your comments and I do think somewhere you're right too. But there is no need to be completely agitated and mad about a company like you being right now. Remember, at the end it's just a phone but for you and me it's more than that and that's why we having a dialogue. But it's still a phone in the end!

Enjoy the forum man. No need to be so negative. If you don't like stfu. Over here we don't want kids drama and non sense. If you have some valid points to disagree, put it out. No need to show your negative emotions.

T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-10-19 19:43

On 2012-10-19 19:12:33, Indiandawg wrote:
I request the mod to suspend mediar for 1 week using foul language

And if he's not, please show me where it's written if you use "*" for abusive words are ok.

Enjoy the forum man. No need to be so negative. If you don't like stfu. Over here we don't want kids drama and non sense. If you have some valid points to disagree, put it out. No need to show your negative emotions.

I request the mod to suspend indiandawg too, for using both foul language and being abusive to another member of this forum . Just like media used "*" he used abbreviation instead.

I am sorry if you find this offensive, but I am just writing this post to show the irony.

Ofcourse I hope no one gets too serious. But either way, I am with mediar. I see no reason why 2011 devices cannot run jb when devices such as J can. I did move on to htc, and or sony are not giving me any single reason to get back since the x10. Luckily back then, during the whole x10 thing(not concerned with me), we had much broader fan base with much clearer vision who helped get atleast that one update to gingerbread. As most of them moved on, they are all lost.

I can no longer recommend xperia's for anyone considering a high end smart phone because
a> poor battery
b> poor software

Those who arent concerned with that may go ahead and buy it. Every on has different priorities, sony does make the most beautiful designed phones and their phones can only be a statement, something which I am not that into to sacrifice other key things.

Whats even lame is that xperia s was outdated when it was released, and then finally got ics when jelly bean was out, it was never actually up to date. By the time jb comes out we will have 4.2 or key lime pie.

I was really looking forward to when there were rumours that sony will speed up the updates etc. but its just rumours. Nothing more. I know its a long post, but thats how much I am disapointed in them.
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2012-10-19 20:02
Hey it's shut the fuss up

Honestly, I think the same too without a doubt. Sony or Sony Ericsson android has been giving software problems. My Arc S has started behaving very weird. The battery drains like mad and I don't understand why. I have been checking out the settings. But it's still happening. That's not the point.

Since the time I have started using android, I've noticed the more and more apps you start installing the worst your phone starts reacting. Even after you uninstall them, you still see folders with some files in it. Even if you uninstall all god damn apps it won't be like the start. The flawless start. And apart of that, you get Sony added apps which we never use. Specially those games and videos app and timescape is gone. Like accept it Sony it's over, move on

But then I looked back, Android is what? 3-4 years old? Wow, what a tereffic OS improvement. Like really go back and see how cupcake was and now you see IceCream sandwich and jellybean. Look one thing is for sure, an ultimate product only comes with its bad history so it can learn from its mistakes. Why did we see project butter from Android and not iOS? Because it was android who needed it not iOS. people tell me that iOS is so stable and no doubt it is. It's too flawless. The multitouch is just incomparable with Anroid but that's not why I choosed Android. There are things like wifi tether, downloading any type of data from the browse and little things, the open source of the OS which lets you do almost anything you want.

It still needs time! Trust me, it's going to the right direction and google is doing its every bit to get this OS like no one has ever seen before. And guys, 3 years? And look where how good Android is. Don't go how many android phones have been sold. Look at the UI and features and everything. It's so amazing. Love Android.

T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-10-19 20:34
Thank god you did not take me seriously . Well although we share our views, I like to eat my dessert too, not just see them . Also, I can show you my desire a 3 yr old phone, not rooted and factory resetted only 1ce to be really smooth. I have seen that even in xperia go(a really nice phone), with about as many apps installed will still lag when going to the homescreen. This is a persistent issue still not fixed and mostly related to sony ericsson's customization.

Since you love android, then when its perfectly able to run on it, why not have newer ones too? I mean dont you find it in the least bit annoying that you xperia arc s, a very well capable phone and beautifully designed one, is unable to become more functional than a low end xperia J with a much lower cpu? Its not even been a year between jb and arc s! This was that one update that could have fixed everything and why I am really concerned is many people bought xperis arc and arc s and neo based on my recommendation, and everyone have a bad taste about sony and xperia now. Atleast I could tell them that an update is coming, now even that wont.
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2012-10-19 21:02
I know what you mean and I do agree with you. I did think about changing from Sony but then it's the UI. Yes the UI is loaded with too much that at the end that beautiful thing comes into your way in the end. I'm just waiting for a solution from Sony rather than updates or anything. I still feel the complete Android is still left, at least from Sony's side.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-10-19 21:07
Its a damn shame, yet not a suprise, typical Sony, late as always.

If my GS2 gets JB before the 2012 Xperias that will be pathetic on Sony's part. Launching their 1st group of NXT phones with Gingerbread was a HUGE mistake and i kept saying so, and i just knew it would affect the update to JB, the Xperia P only JUST got ICS,this is the drawback of launching a new phone with an older OS, and this is the same freaking mistake they made with the X10 series, while the rest launched with 2.1 Eclair, the Xperias came in with 1.6 Donut, they just never learn!
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11ā€¯ 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-10-20 20:14
This is really disappointing in many ways, and its stuff like this that's making it very hard for me to keep supporting sony. I'll explain, so remember the X10? released on 1.6 it was told a 2.1 upgrade was to come later on despite already being outdated. SE at the time had focused so much on their timescape look that they didn't have time to release it on up to date firmware. And this didn't pay off because their skin was heavy, buggy and slow. Eventually 2.1 came with improvements, and after a long fight they eventually gave the phone 2.3.

Now I can remember at the time (it was only almost 2 years, start of 2011) that they apologised and stated that they had learnt from their mistakes and would be upgrading in a timely manner. This was backed up by the fact their new 2.3 timescape was light and easy to update the software (as it wasn't tied into the phone as much as sense etc. is).

What also gave me confidence was that they released the Xperia arc on 2.3, once of the first manufacturers to release a phone on that version since the nexus device. That year of 2011 I was very impressed with many updates proving extra features, fb intergrating Xloud. They also gave the phone all the features the new arc s had (panoramic photos etc.).

ICS 4.0 was revealed at the end of 2012 and it was pretty exciting, what was more impressive was that SE stated they would update all their 2011 devices to ICS no matter if they were lowend, or highend. I was pretty proud to own an arc, and it really make sony look like a good company and was met with lots of positive feedback.

However the software received when it finally came out (June 2012 time) it was full of bugs and pretty unusable (in my experience). I could appreciate the time it took them because they were update all their phones and it takes time. But the software they released was a joke, and this is when it started to go downhill for me.

I got my xperia S in April time, now I won this phone of sony so of couse I really cannot complain at all about this device. However looking at it, I am going to pretend for this sake, that I did go out and buy it!

Right so the xperia S was released on gingerbread 2.3. I thought, you know what I don't mind its a very stable release and works well, plus sony say the ICS update will be released soon after the phone goes on the market. What I didn't realise was that the 2011 phones would get the update first. So after waiting and waiting eventually I got the update, and yeah the battery life sucked but I liked all the additions and was mostly pretty pleased with the update; but it was far long overdue.

Fast forward to now, and sony has released their new devices...on ICS promising an update 'soon after launch'. When I heard this, I thought yeah I do not buy this I bet people will be waiting for this update long into 2013. And sure enough sony specify a date in March 2013. A good 5 months after the release of the phone. To make matters worse they aren't updating their 2011 devices.

I personally think this isn't good enough, though for the 2011 devices in theory owners should be thinking, "oh well, at least I've got a really good phone that works well on ICS" but the true fact is, it doesn't. So now sony is leaving the 2011 phones on ICS. I also fully appreciate that companies need to make money and can't keep updating legacy devices. But what annoys me is that they don't come out and say this, but make the old "guarantee owners of these smartphones the user experience you expect and we demand" which is utter BS. I mean, you stuck ICS on the phones, badly, but the jump from 2.3 to 4.0 is far bigger than 4.0 to 4.1 and I just don't buy the excuse. Plus the fact you have to laugh that they state user experience when they gave 2011 xperia users such a bad update to ICS...

As for an Xperia S owner, I am happy that we will get 4.1 in due course. Although who knows when that might be...

But basically to sum up, Sony/SE seem to be right back where they were 2 years ago getting such bad criticism for releasing phones on outdated software. But this time around it seems like they don't care and seem think its fine what they are doing. 2011 was such a good year for the company, and gave back much lost confidence in the brand. But its sad to see this happening again.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-20 21:16

On 2012-10-20 20:14:20, adsada wrote:
But basically to sum up, Sony/SE seem to be right back where they were 2 years ago getting such bad criticism for releasing phones on outdated software. But this time around it seems like they don't care and seem think its fine what they are doing. 2011 was such a good year for the company, and gave back much lost confidence in the brand. But its sad to see this happening again.

I could not have said it better. And I totally blame Sony for that, because, unlike SE, Sony is known for its bad user support since many years ( and not learning from its mistakes too - Sony at its best ). Their strategy in 2011 may not have been the best, but now it gets worse and worse with every passed month. And it's sad this forum is full of so many stupid blind fanboys, who don't seem to understand the major problems at sony that turn many customers off ( including me ).

Android 2.3 was released in November 2010. Two months later, in January 2011, the stunning Xperia Arc was already running it flawlessly. Their custom UI was very light, very fast, very cute and eye-catching ( as was the Arc, and it's still the best ). Now, their ICS is just like what 1.6 used to be on X10 - very slow, very heavy, very clumsy, very complicated, not to mention its ugliness. And, of course, released more than half an year after ICS's official announcement.

Xperia T/V/TX - the first Xperias to come with ICS out of the box - 10 months after ICS's official announcement, and three months after JB's announcement. Why? Because of the stupid Walkman/Album/Movies apps, which, to my surprise, do their job no better than the build-in multimedia apps. Then what's the point? It's such a shame for Sony to ruin my beloved SE and the Xperia brand!
[ This Message was edited by: mediar on 2012-10-20 20:38 ]
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-10-20 23:26
This is exatly why i couldnt consider buying a Sony phone. They're just s**t.

I got Jellybean on my SGS3 yesterday. Nothing ICS couldnt do but some nice tweaks. Google Now is very good for voice recognition.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-22 18:36
Join this petition as soon as possible, of you want JB for your 2011 Xperia!

http://www.gopetition.com/pet[....]-bean-4-1-1/signature-map.html
Mediar's Site
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-10-23 02:56
2011 xperias have no chance of running jb, my neo v could hardly run ics nevermind jb. That's why I've stuck with gb, it's stable and perfect for single cores. Just move on as Ericsson isn't part of Sony, I've realised that long ago.
[ This Message was edited by: chunkybeats on 2012-10-23 01:57 ]
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-10-23 04:35
Just unlock your bootloaders, kids. FXP has got you covered.
puestadelsol
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2012-10-23 11:35

On 2012-10-23 02:56:34, chunkybeats wrote:
2011 xperias have no chance of running jb, my neo v could hardly run ics nevermind jb. That's why I've stuck with gb, it's stable and perfect for single cores. Just move on as Ericsson isn't part of Sony, I've realised that long ago.
[ This Message was edited by: chunkybeats on 2012-10-23 01:57 ]

That's exaxtly what Sony wants you to believe. Just tell me how ICS is running on Xperia Tipo or Xperia J relatively flawless, and on 2011 Xperias there is full of bugs? Moreover, how is it possible that Xperia J will get the JB update with nearly the same hardware like all the 2011 models, while 2011 Xperia lineup will not be getting Jelly Bean because Sony "would not be able to guarantee owners of these smartphones the user experience you expect and we demand".

I think if 2011 users would have got a well optimized ICS update (like the Xperia J for example got a well optimised ICS) they wouldn't be bothered by this situation. All of them was hoping to get the JB update because with a little exxageration we can say that most of their phones became almost useless after the ICS update.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi