Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business

Previous  123 456 ... 151617  Next
Author Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 03:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson are trying to do better in the American market and for one believe they would maybe do it better under just the Sony name.
Phone?? What phone??
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 08:52

On 2011-10-07 19:40:49, badassmam:

...People who are worried about Sony going down should look at how many different products Sony sells and overall how massive they are. Releasing a new PlayStation 4 would instantly put them is a good position. Good times ahead if it happens

I am not worried about Sony going down, I am pretty convinced they are going to fail as 'Sony Mobile'. Like I wrote, Sony has lost what made them the number one electronics company and sadly the make up of the electronics industry has changed dramatically. Back then Sony didn't have such tough competition but at least they were proactive in their thinking and extremely innovative. Yes, they sell as many products as they can but where do they excel these days? If I want a camera I'd look at Nikon or Canon, for hi-fi I'd look at Pioneer, Denon or Yamaha, for tvs I've got Panasonic, Samsung and Philips- though I have to admit that Sony's LCD tvs are quite good but not that much better than the competition. Then Apple took them to the cleaners with their iPods. Their computers are expensive for what their offer while so many competitors have good value for money.

Not so long ago in Japan Sony considered leaving the LCD tv market.

Sony are living in the past when their brand name carried a lot of weight and they could overcharge knowing that the limited competition at that time had no products or financial muscle to take them on. The company fails to realise and understand that today's consumer is far more knowledgeable and curious that they don't settle for mediocrity at an inflated price.

I will wait to see what they do, maybe they will make me fall in love with the brand again. I loved the old Sony but this new Sony is downright incompetent.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong but I have this niggling feeling that it is not going to be the case.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 09:06

On 2011-10-08 08:52:39, Dups! wrote:

On 2011-10-07 19:40:49, badassmam: Yes, they sell as many products as they can but where do they excel these days? If I want a camera I'd look at Nikon or Canon.

Actually, Sony's camera business is probably one of their biggest shining points right now. Not only do they supply sensors for Nikon and Pentax, among others, their NEX line is one of the leading brands in the mirrorless segment and their Alpha line have become extremely competitive and is a much less distant third now than it used to be. There's not much to be said about their Cybershots, but that's more to do with all point and shoots really being more or less the same parts repackaged by different companies.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 09:25
Supplying to clients and selling to the general public are two different things. I don't doubt that the NEX series is excellent but as you said, they are still behind the competition where it matters- sales.

This is where Badassman claims Sony sells so many products and are big.

Now that I have digested this rumour, I think it is best Sony takes over because Ericsson was never really into this market anymore. They are the one that wanted out of this joint-venture a few years ago. I just realised that I had subconsciously made my decision about SE or Sony Mobile a while back when I stopped buying any of their products after the P1i.

It's just that it's been hard letting go of a company that promised a lot, and to an extent delivered brilliant phones in the past 10 years.

If Sony by themselves come up with cutting-edge devices that are better or equal to the best the competition can offer I will look at them and maybe even buy them but for now I am moving on.

I have made a home for myself over at Blackberry already and SE's place will be taken by Apple in the form of the iPhone. I am just not sure I am comfortable with the iPhone 4s when the iPhone 5 seems imminent.

Goodbye SE, it's all up to Sony to tempt me back with their 'new' cellphone arm.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 10:20
It's going to be quiet weird for me because I've never used any cell phone besides Sony Ericsson. I've used E71 Nokia but that was only for a month.

I'm expecting some high end smart phones from Sony. There has to be a reason for them to buy out the stake and the only reason that I see is lack of innovation in hardware. Also the technology that sony has would love to use in their smart phones and connecting them with all the products like TV/Music system etc. Exactly what Samsung is doing right now. You can connect all the Samsung products wireless.

Now what Ericsson is going to do is the big question. If Ericsson starts making phones, that's going to be brilliant.
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 12:03

On 2011-10-08 09:25:27, Dups! wrote:
Supplying to clients and selling to the general public are two different things. I don't doubt that the NEX series is excellent but as you said, they are still behind the competition where it matters- sales.

This is where Badassman claims Sony sells so many products and are big.

Now that I have digested this rumour, I think it is best Sony takes over because Ericsson was never really into this market anymore. They are the one that wanted out of this joint-venture a few years ago. I just realised that I had subconsciously made my decision about SE or Sony Mobile a while back when I stopped buying any of their products after the P1i.

It's just that it's been hard letting go of a company that promised a lot, and to an extent delivered brilliant phones in the past 10 years.

If Sony by themselves come up with cutting-edge devices that are better or equal to the best the competition can offer I will look at them and maybe even buy them but for now I am moving on.

I have made a home for myself over at Blackberry already and SE's place will be taken by Apple in the form of the iPhone. I am just not sure I am comfortable with the iPhone 4s when the iPhone 5 seems imminent.

Goodbye SE, it's all up to Sony to tempt me back with their 'new' cellphone arm.

I know you love Ericsson I respect that. But still I would like to correct you on some points that you made regarding Sony.

1) Sony is currently only 0.8 % behind Canon in the Global imaging products market share. By 2012 Sony will have overtaken Canon to become the single largest digital imaging products manufacturer with more than 20% market share globally

2) Sony TVs are doing much better than before and in many Asian countries Sony has overtaken Samsung and LG for the No.1 position in sales and market share including my country India. Also in 3D TVs they are second globally after Samsung. But quality wise Sony is much ahead. The flagship Sony HX92 is the best LCD ever made and as good as a Kuro Plasma. That speaks volumes about the capabilities of Sony to deliver class leading and superior products.

3) Their notebook sales are increasing faster than competition and by revenue share they are in top 3 in USA!!! Check Cnet for the article and market share data.

4) The Sony tablet S has been crowned the best Android tablet by many reviewers and the response of the general users has also been very positive and their software has also been praised.

5) As for styling and design no brand has won more design awards in the electronics industry than Sony has.

6) They have done very well this year and come out with fantastic products including the new APS-C sensor DSLR king Alpha A77, the NEX 7, Bravia HX92, Walkman Z, HMZ t1 personal OLED 3D viewer, Full HD 3D camcorder, the Vaio F 3D laptop, Vaio Z, Cybershot HX100V, to name a few. All of these products are very high quality and perform better than anything the competition has to offer. And in every field that Sony competes with Samsung, Sony products are far superior. So I am 110% sure that the days of the Galaxy line being best Android phones are numbered now. Sony Android flagship will destroy the Galaxy S3

7) In 1 year Kazuo Hirai will be in the drivers seat at Sony and then things will start gettin much better for Sony.
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 21:02
^^ i'd beg to differ...i can't see any sony android besting samsungs galaxy range..period.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 21:10
I still am not convinced that if they do do a take over they will change the sony ericcson name. I think that it has a massive following and has gained good publicity over the years, to go back to just sony mobile imo seems like a bad move. SE are really trying to push into the American market atm with the likes of the xperia play partnershiping with game brands like this they next year they scrap all that and go back to sony?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, because if I'm honest its not sony taking over that worries me its the SE brand being no more which is the most gutting thing. But that's basically telling staff that their ten years of hard work to build up a brand and gain so much activity (just check out their facebook page) is just going to be killed, like that.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 21:36
I am thinking now if this is true it could be good & very exciting!! Interesting with what they may come up with. I think although I loved Ericsson as a brand & their phones I also think those days are long gone & people may have to just get used to times changing & stop looking back into the past!! Are Sony Ericsson phones in Japan even better than here or the same models??
Phone?? What phone??
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 22:11

On 2011-10-08 21:36:33, Bonovox wrote:
I am thinking now if this is true it could be good & very exciting!! Interesting with what they may come up with. I think although I loved Ericsson as a brand & their phones I also think those days are long gone & people may have to just get used to times changing & stop looking back into the past!! Are Sony Ericsson phones in Japan even better than here or the same models??

http://www.sonyericsson.co.jp/product/

Have a look for yourself, they have multiple 'fashion' phones some have 16mp cameras and quite impressive design. But the android running phones are the same as the ones over here (except for the arco)
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-10-08 21:12 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-09 00:26
Wow great stuff the UK is really behind eh?? Now,why does the rest of the world or UK not get them Cyber-shot 16 megs models?? And look at what's on sale on Amazon

I used to have one of them on Vodafone
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-10-08 23:29 ]
Phone?? What phone??
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-10-09 02:08
At home I use this Ericsson for the last 10+ years,it looks almost new and battery is still very good.
[ This Message was edited by: pt020 on 2011-10-09 01:10 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-09 02:18
I recognise that but which model number was it??
Phone?? What phone??
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-10-09 02:25
it is the 260
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-09 02:28