Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business

Previous  123 45 ... 151617  Next
Author Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 12:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
from here?
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 13:44

It would be a step back in time to see those phones for sale again on the high street, unless it was some retro fashion store.

I lost my prized CMD-MZ5 in a house fire, one of the very few left no doubt. Do you still have yours masseur?
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 13:51
of course if Ericsson starts making mobile phones.
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 14:05

On 2011-10-07 13:51:38, Indiandawg wrote:

I wouldn't hesitate one second also, I would buy an Ericsson if they were to come back. Sadly, though, it looks like we will be stuck with Sony only. I say this because I'm beginning to think that this is true. They are both too quiet for my liking. If by some stroke of fate Ericsson decides they are coming back then I will impatiently wait for them even if it takes long.

If this rumour of a buyout wasn't true SE/Ericsson/Sony would have responded by now, at least that's what I hope they would do in such a case.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
argiriano
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 14:15

On 2011-10-07 13:51:38, Indiandawg wrote:

If Ericsson start making phones, they will definitely be smartphones and will future all high-end tech in house - state of the art SOC and modem chips in line with their own LTE chips... it would be just like dream come true, but we all know this is just our fans dream.

I just start dreaming about smartphone with 28nm dualcore NovaThor 9600 @ 2.5GHz and PowerVR 6th gen, plus ST-Ericsson own HSPA+ and LTE chips
They just need vanilla ICS, camera and display components.

What you think about something like that coming Q2 or Q3 2012?
Platia1
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 14:43

On 2011-10-07 02:27:18, jplacson wrote:
I am glad that the Xperia line looks more like Ericsson than Sony... I like the new aluminum frame the ray has which all Ericssons has before, that was a very distinct style trademark. I'm glad to not be using M2 sticks anymore... I'm glad that my P1i was the last device with that archaic jog dial. I'm glad that has slowly removed the label-every-single-feature on the phone the way Sony does with their products...I'm not in an Adam West tv show.

I can understand the concern some people have but there seems to be a fair bit of misinformation around.

The Xperia Ray had a Japanese design influence, while the European part of the company may have influenced the materials and colour choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykjrD_8anyw

it looks to me like the old curvier designs (Arc, Neo etc, more likely European i.e. Ericsson) is being replaced by the more angled designs (Ray, Mini, more likely Japanese i.e. Sony)

While the Arc is a thing of beauty, anyone worried about these issues should compare the Neo to the Ray and honestly wonder if Sony aren't at least as good as Ericsson in this department.
[ This Message was edited by: Platia1 on 2011-10-07 13:45 ]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 14:49
Yes most likely all phones are designed by Sony. Correct me if I am wrong but that seems to be the case from designer videos and stuff.
mariozlp
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 16:10
I'd love a new phone with the curves of t65. loved that phone... especially the dark blue or grey. Nice big screen with grey shades and wap (in a button), but hated the soft buttons feel. In my hand was so pleasant (and a funny thing was that it was smelling nice).
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-07 16:34

On 2011-10-07 14:43:06, Platia1 wrote:

On 2011-10-07 02:27:18, jplacson wrote:
I am glad that the Xperia line looks more like Ericsson than Sony... I like the new aluminum frame the ray has which all Ericssons has before, that was a very distinct style trademark. I'm glad to not be using M2 sticks anymore... I'm glad that my P1i was the last device with that archaic jog dial. I'm glad that has slowly removed the label-every-single-feature on the phone the way Sony does with their products...I'm not in an Adam West tv show.

I can understand the concern some people have but there seems to be a fair bit of misinformation around.

The Xperia Ray had a Japanese design influence, while the European part of the company may have influenced the materials and colour choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykjrD_8anyw

it looks to me like the old curvier designs (Arc, Neo etc, more likely European i.e. Ericsson) is being replaced by the more angled designs (Ray, Mini, more likely Japanese i.e. Sony)

While the Arc is a thing of beauty, anyone worried about these issues should compare the Neo to the Ray and honestly wonder if Sony aren't at least as good as Ericsson in this department.
[ This Message was edited by: Platia1 on 2011-10-07 13:45 ]

Just because the designer is Japanese doesn't make the design Japanese. There are a lot of Euro designers whose designs look Asian, and Asian designers that do really good Euro designs. It has nothing to do with race, but historical stylings. Much like saying only an Italian can cook Italian food...hmm...not really. It's a philosophy, albeit tied in with a culture's history, it's not exclusive.

The Xperia line, whether it be the arc, mini, X10, etc... take more design cues from European brands like Ericsson, B&O, Bose than they do from Mitsubishi, Epson, and even Sony... frankly, the only Sony product that I see fits the design cues of the Xperia is the Bravia Monolithic.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 17:37
I don't think he was making this a race issue, jpcalson. He was merely pointing out each company's influences in design.

@randomuser

No, not all SE phones were designed by Sony, in fact, I'd wager that most were designed by Ericsson.

@all

If anybody remembers, I wrote this in the 2011 Portfolio, I decided not to buy the arc because I wrote that I didn't think SE was going to pull through and was waiting for their next three financial results before buying from them.

That seemed like a prediction of some sorts, like my prediction that SE was going to make a loss in Q1 of this year only for them to make that loss in the second quarter. My 'predictions' seem to be spot on but not completely direct.

In a few years' time I guess my other 'prediction' that Sony will fail in the cellphone market will come true.

Hmmm... I think it's time to invest in technological stocks since I seem to be able to 'see' the future
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 19:40
Different designs for different markets, the Japanese love their clamshells while in Europe its the candybar or whatever they call it. No point selling clamshells in Europe because nobody will buy them. More market research goes into design than 'artistic' influence.

Anyway, if Sony goes through with it you'll see the return of high end Walkman and CyberShot phones. You'll see an Xperia Play with serious power and the top games. The Play is just an expensive emulator, nothing more and you can't really see any more support for it. Of course the fanboys will be upset because you could lose out on the unique designs for example but nowadays its hardware that counts and Sony is a quality brand. may get a new name perhaps but the spirit will remain. With some guidance and finance from Sony you should look forward to the phones that people have been wishing for with dual core, 16MP camera, proper Walkman hardware etc. Good times ahead.

People who are worried about Sony going down should look at how many different products Sony sells and overall how massive they are. Releasing a new PlayStation 4 would instantly put them is a good position. Good times ahead if it happens
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 20:20
Can't wait myself.

As much as I love Sony Ericsson, they have been hindered by not having the full unhindered access to their parents resources. They need 100% backing and focus from either parent to make an impact and it looks like it has to be Sony.
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-07 23:13
I believe Sony doing well & very well in other department TVs Stereo set, game console, camera and so on but mobile phone they need real know how just like .
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
paulmcauley
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 01:24
I think this is a bad mistake.

's blend of European and Japanese cultures was a unique strength which competitors did not have. To me the Japanese are good at making reliable technology, but fail when it comes to understanding people and
tastes of what users want outside Japan.

This will also be the death of the European phone industry (Nokia already dead IMO), only to be taken over by Americans - not a good thing at all. Here in Europe we will go from being one of the first to get the latest phone tech that fits European tastes to being the last to receive the tech and have American and Japanese tastes shoved down our throats.

Ericsson actually are in a strong cash position at the moment (Sony losing $$$billions), so the other way round would make more sense. A better solution would simply be for both to commit more to the JV (both in terms of cash investment and integration with their other tech divisions) and think more long-term, especially since is on the up again and that the mobile market is absolutely huge.
paulmcauley
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-08 01:27
If this is an issue of Sony wanting mere brand integration, perhaps a better solution might be for Sony to take 60% and Ericsson 40% and re-brand to just Sony Mobile Communications. That way the European side of things still has influence.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic