Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business

Previous  123 ... 1314 151617  Next
Author Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 16:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2011-10-27 15:02:32, Lostsoulz wrote:
Interesting but he doesn't mention that Sony devices are almost always the most expensive in their product segments. So being 'consumer friendly' is all relative.

Well, that's more or less relative. Their "high end" phones are rather overpriced, but their mid-range phones are competitively priced and their low-end phones, while slightly more expensive than their competition, have much better specs.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-27 17:31
I'd like to see Sony keep Xperia as a brand name for it's mobile department but I completely understand if they want a change.

As for when will we see the first Sony branded handsets, I hope it'll be sooner rather than later. I hope to see Sony handsets at WMC 2012, else my next year's phone budget will be going on the Eee Pad Transformer Prime.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 17:37
I expect an announcement at CES in January.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 19:33

On 2011-10-27 16:44:22, randomuser wrote:
Some key points made by Howard Stringer, Sony CEO

* Will develop a healthy relationship with carriers in US and become BIG in US market
* EXCEPTIONAL hardware and competitive software
* Being cost effective will be key
* Will target first time smartphone buyers
* Growing markets also key including Brazil, Russia and India
* Cross connectivity between Vaio, Bravia, Sony mobile and Sony Tablet
* Sony services video unlimited, music unlimited, playstation store key to sell the phones.
* Will surprise most by becoming successful much before people might expect
* Want to be extremely competitive and not play catch up with the competition
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2011-10-27 15:47 ]

They certainly have their work cut out for them and it seems they are determined to make an impact. Howard is saying all the right things but as we know, saying something and doing it, are completely different things.

At least he has recognised that EXCEPTIONAL hardware is one of the requirements of successful range of phones these days and he also wants Sony Mobile to be held in the same regard as Vaio, Bravia and the other Sony brands.
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 22:20
Sony to buy Sony Ericsson, turn into subsidiary YOUTUBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM2Yctose0k
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 23:02

On 2011-10-27 19:33:45, goldenface wrote:

They certainly have their work cut out for them and it seems they are determined to make an impact. Howard is saying all the right things but as we know, saying something and doing it, are completely different things.

At least he has recognised that EXCEPTIONAL hardware is one of the requirements of successful range of phones these days and he also wants Sony Mobile to be held in the same regard as Vaio, Bravia and the other Sony brands.

Vaios aren't held in particularly high regard. The Walkman brand is very much so a has-been by now. Cybershots as a whole aren't the most competitive. Alphas are regarded more for innovation than performance (although that's slowly changing). I'm not sure what Bravia connotes, but I'm used to thinking of that as "expensive".

Honestly, the 2011 XPERIAs (I'm tempted to just call them the X11 family since the X10 was in 2010 and all of this years were in 2011....) were an astounding step forward in the hardware (consistent specifications across the range, which strongly bolsters the offerings that target first-time buyers) and software (SE's currently one of the most up-to-date OEMs this year, and the consistent hardware helps) front; as long as Sony doesn't kill the momentum, then there's hope.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-28 10:35
Does anyone know the differences between 4.0.1.A.0.283 and 4.0.2.A.0.42 ?

Edit: sorry just realised this went in the wrong thread
[ This Message was edited by: Ricky D on 2011-10-28 14:13 ]
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
krayzie_cat
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 20:17
Wouldn't this mean there is a higher chance we can see an /// Ericsson mobile phone / device in the future if they come up with some breakthrough technology? Personally I don't think it'll happen (that's like saying Sega will go back and make a new gaming console).
[ This Message was edited by: krayzie_cat on 2011-10-29 19:19 ]
Ravager
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 02:31
Nah, they sold their half of Sony Ericsson because they don't need to make phones to sell their systems anymore. A lot has changed in 10 years...
To think Ericsson would make phones again is not realistic, unfortunately.

Edit:
You know, Ericsson is earning money on every phone that is sold due to a GSM patent.
[ This Message was edited by: Ravager on 2011-10-30 01:39 ]
Ravager
The tiny rabbit from outer space
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 05:57
Also I believe the majority of the 1 Billion Euros paid were for the 5 batch of patents that Sony now has ownership of.
argiriano
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 08:22

On 2011-10-30 02:31:38, Ravager wrote:
Nah, they sold their half of Sony Ericsson because they don't need to make phones to sell their systems anymore. A lot has changed in 10 years...
To think Ericsson would make phones again is not realistic, unfortunately.

Sadly this is the truth and that was the reason Sony Ericsson was created in the first place 10 years ago.
Some of us are just to passionate about Ericsson brand and we keep dreaming about Ericsson devices. It would be great if Sony will use Ericsson and ST-Ericsson parts in their phones in the future with kind of advantage over the rest, just to stay at the top of the hardware game... but that is just another wishful thinking considering the fact they didn`t use it till now when they are one company.

So, we have to wait till CES or even MWC 2012 to see what the future will bring.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 08:36
CES is probably too early but MWC might bring the first Sony anncouncements and I'm just starting to plan to be there next year.
argiriano
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 08:42

On 2011-10-30 08:36:16, masseur wrote:
CES is probably too early but MWC might bring the first Sony anncouncements and I'm just starting to plan to be there next year.

Yeah, I think it`s too early too but on the other hand if Sony wants to reinforce their presence in US they will need CES announcement.

Good for you, I may consider to visit Barcelona too.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 08:47
US seems secondary still when it comes to GSM phones. Even Nokia didn't announce any lumia models specifically for US though of course there are GSM carriers there, but CDMA still seems to rule there.

I don't think even had a particularly large presence there did they?
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 09:24

On 2011-10-30 08:47:38, masseur wrote:
US seems secondary still when it comes to GSM phones. Even Nokia didn't announce any lumia models specifically for US though of course there are GSM carriers there, but CDMA still seems to rule there.

I don't think even had a particularly large presence there did they?

US is on top of Sony's agenda at the moment. Sir Howard Stringer mentioned that they will want to have a significant presence in US and are in talks with various US carriers and want to create a strong relationship with all the major US carriers in an interview on BBC News.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 1314 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic