Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 121314 151617  Next
Author Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 13:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2011-10-27 13:10:10, smclion102 wrote:
UPDATE- Sony president and CEO Sir Howard Stringer has just addressed the media on the proposed buyout and confirmed that the company will indeed move away from feature phones, as previously stated. This effectively heralds the death of the Walkman line and the dawn of Sony's exclusively Android era, though Stringer's not ruling out the possibility of bringing another OS on board. When asked whether his firm would consider buying webOS, the exec said simply, "Never say never."

EDIT->> Sony coy over Windows Phone and webOS
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2011-10-27 12:18 ]

SE are already working on a Windows Mobile handset. I know this to be a fact. I am certain Sony will range Android and Windows Phone.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 13:55
The Telegraph: What this means for consumers.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 13:58

On 2011-10-27 13:39:56, Ravager wrote:
You can not blame Ericsson for bad quality. Sony Ericsson is a company and they do all of the decisions, bad quality is therefor a result of a series of decisions to make a larger profit. And that is a series of strange decisions due to the demand of high quality devices.
[ This Message was edited by: Ravager on 2011-10-27 12:40 ]

Hmmm, but Sony Ericssons's have had an history of poor build issues, it's pretty well known like the ear piece on the C905, and silly faults that ruin great designs. Where as Sony has a great name for high quality products which don't carry such faults.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 13:59

On 2011-10-27 13:58:08, adsada wrote:

You can not blame Ericsson for bad quality. Sony Ericsson is a company and they do all of the decisions, bad quality is therefor a result of a series of decisions to make a larger profit. And that is a series of strange decisions due to the demand of high quality devices.

Hmmm, but Sony Ericssons's have had an history of poor build issues, it's pretty well known like the ear piece on the C905, and silly faults that ruin great designs. Where as Sony has a great name for high quality products which don't carry such faults.

You don't remember Sony phones before the JV do ya...?

Sony also has a name for high price products. I played with their tablet - it's nice but it wasn't really worth waiting for and at that price, the Toshiba one I bought was a much better buy.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-27 14:04

On 2011-10-27 13:51:34, aka Dus wrote:

SE are already working on a Windows Mobile handset. I know this to be a fact. I am certain Sony will range Android and Windows Phone.

Well, we all know how successful the X1 and X2 were

Let's see how the new breed of WP8 will be... right now WP7 is still sad. Finished... but a bit too late in the game. WP8 will have to be a revolutionary OS to gain ground over Android.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 14:05

On 2011-10-27 13:59:39, aka Dus wrote:

On 2011-10-27 13:58:08, adsada wrote:

You don't remember Sony phones before the JV do ya...?

Sony also has a name for high price products. I played with their tablet - it's nice but it wasn't really worth waiting for and at that price, the Toshiba one I bought was a much better buy.

Fair point about the tablet, yes Sony products are expensive and that comes across with SE too, with the Xperia play stupidly priced but the good thing is mobile phones decrease in value a lot faster then any other technology. I do just remember Sony before the JV, one phone particular which you scrolled through the menu with a scroller on the side, which I thought at the time was pretty ingenuous, never noticed wide spread build issues like that we've come to live with, with SE

And I hate toshiba, I used to have a Toshiba laptop which within 2 years fell apart even with moderate use and being well looked after
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 14:06

On 2011-10-27 14:04:52, jplacson wrote:

Well, we all know how successful the X1 and X2 were

Let's see how the new breed of WP8 will be... right now WP7 is still sad. Finished... but a bit too late in the game. WP8 will have to be a revolutionary OS to gain ground over Android.

I really liked my X1 and X2 at that time. I think Microsoft now know the standard they need to hit and Sony (Ericsson) now have a much better idea of what their consumers demand.

I would stick with Android regardless, I think, but anyway.
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 14:13

On 2011-10-27 14:05:34, adsada wrote:

Fair point about the tablet, yes Sony products are expensive and that comes across with SE too, with the Xperia play stupidly priced but the good thing is mobile phones decrease in value a lot faster then any other technology. I do just remember Sony before the JV, one phone particular which you scrolled through the menu with a scroller on the side, which I thought at the time was pretty ingenuous, never noticed wide spread build issues like that we've come to live with, with SE

And I hate toshiba, I used to have a Toshiba laptop which within 2 years fell apart even with moderate use and being well looked after

I had that Sony phone - do you remember the game with the two monkeys going up the two trees and chucking bananas at each other? Pretty fun!

The Toshiba tablet I have is actually pretty good but I am actually waiting for the quad core ones to hit so this is kinda just a placeholder for me.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 14:27
that just made me remember too that game was funny
Phone?? What phone??
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 14:32
I'm not sure if Sony already had a SoC designer team, in order to launch a full fight with Samsung. Sony should have one in about 6 months at least. OMAP or ST-Ericsson buy out another unprofitable from Ericsson but this time may not easy
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 14:34

On 2011-10-27 13:55:06, goldenface wrote:

Interesting but he doesn't mention that Sony devices are almost always the most expensive in their product segments. So being 'consumer friendly' is all relative.

Another thing this announcement means is that SEMC sales are going to plummet now. Consumers will all be waiting for Sony to bring their own device, only the die-hards will want to own a phone from an obsolete brand. See Nokia's N9 for the best recent example.

randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 14:57

On 2011-10-27 14:32:38, HxH wrote:
I'm not sure if Sony already had a SoC designer team, in order to launch a full fight with Samsung. Sony should have one in about 6 months at least. OMAP or ST-Ericsson buy out another unprofitable from Ericsson but this time may not easy

Sony will use the custom SoC used in the Vita. It placed orders for more SGX543MP4+ from Imagination Technologies for "consumer products" recently.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2011-10-27 13:58 ]
Lostsoulz
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 15:02
[quote]
On 2011-10-27 14:34:50, aka Dus wrote:

On 2011-10-27 13:55:06, goldenface wrote:

Interesting but he doesn't mention that Sony devices are almost always the most expensive in their product segments. So being 'consumer friendly' is all relative.

Another thing this announcement means is that SEMC sales are going to plummet now. Consumers will all be waiting for Sony to bring their own device, only the die-hards will want to own a phone from an obsolete brand. See Nokia's N9 for the best recent example.
[think I'll be waiting for the 1st Sony Smartphone before I will upgrade My X10 can't see Sony supporting See phone in the long run, think it be from 6months to a year for that to happen, think I'll buy a cheap new xperia play Till then. ]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 16:44
Some key points made by Howard Stringer, Sony CEO

* Will develop a healthy relationship with carriers in US and become BIG in US market
* EXCEPTIONAL hardware and competitive software
* Being cost effective will be key
* Will target first time smartphone buyers
* Growing markets also key including Brazil, Russia and India
* Cross connectivity between Vaio, Bravia, Sony mobile and Sony Tablet
* Sony services video unlimited, music unlimited, playstation store key to sell the phones.
* Will surprise most by becoming successful much before people might expect
* Want to be extremely competitive and not play catch up with the competition
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2011-10-27 15:47 ]
argiriano
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 16:49

I`m not sure about WP7, just because Microsoft is pushing its Xbox Live and Sony it`s own Playstation... that`s two rival ecosystems so I think it`s just causual anwer from Sony about WP7. Especially now, when they will pushing even harder to conect all their products into one ecosystem.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 121314 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic