Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > BBM Or?

Previous  12
Author BBM Or?
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 01:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
300GB

Most of my friends also use BB's for the chat with unlimited Web also. In fact the big craze right now is 9800's and 9900 Bold. Androids are catching on slowly but surely.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 04:33
It's not just the existance of Whatsapp and Kik and whatever universal messengers are there, that BBM becomes obsolete..

What I don't get is with current data plans and everyone having Internet access on smartphones, what's the need for even the likes of Whatsapp?

While you're logged on to Skype, Live Messenger, Facebook chat, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, etc.. really what's the need then for a mobile messenger?

If you have messengers that are universal to all computing devices and already used by everyone everywhere, why would I need Whatsapp, or BBM, or iMessage, etc..??

Did I miss something here?

I use Skype, Live Messenger, and Facebook chat. Both on PC and smartphone. (Well Skype is coming soon to my WP, but I used to use it on Symbian).. So again, what would BBM or Whatsapp bring me?
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 12:14
False - good questions. I believe that most of those who swear by their BBM's think that it is more than a messenger. They believe that it is something new and revolutionary. Anyway it is the only thing that keeps BB's selling right now.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 13:19
The best internet messenger imo is 'Messenger' by facebook, because it works really well and you don't have to faff about with adding peoples codes, but all your friends are already there as it used your facebook friends
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2012-01-24 01:17
On a further thought, there is one little factor that could be indirectly the cause of adopting mobile messengers like Whatsapp and BBM over regular PC messengers..

And it's the keyboard!
When you chat from your smartphone with someone on his PC, lets say through Facebook Chat, you'll always be much slower in actual typing than him.. Specially when it's a rapid conversation with much typing..

Not only that we're all just accustomed to proper physical Qwerty keyboard, but also no matter how much one tries, it's simply infeasible to type using ten fingers while concentrating on the screen.
For even on a tablet, there is no room for all ten fingers in the first place, and then you don't have the feel of physical buttons so that you won't have look where to press!
Add to it that a virtual keyboard takes much space from the ongoing conversation and it makes it even harder to follow up!

But still, I see no need for either the cross-platform Whatsapp nor for the platform-specific BBM..
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi