Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > BBM Or?

12  Next
Author BBM Or?
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-07-30 03:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The Blackberry messenger is hugely popular with some people buying a BB just for the messenger. This is probably the main thing keeping BB from going under.

Even with all its popularity phones like the iPhone and SGS2 are vastly outselling Blackberrys. What would make an ordinary fella opt instead for the iPhone or SGS2 which does not have BBM over a Blackberry? What about those other phones make one not want to keep his BBM?
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-07-30 13:14
Well, in all honesty, I think the ONLY reason one should get a BB is for BBM. Other than that it falls short in almost every respect to even older UIQ devices.

Kik Messenger easily connects all iOS, Android and Win Phone users far better than BBM. And you're not tied down to archaic technology.

BB just gained popularity due to the "I'm busy, I've got a BB" image they have since most of their clients are corporate fleets.

I prefer Kik or actual email to BBM.
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-07-30 13:51
As I dont know anyone with Kik then I wouldnt have anyone to talk to. As most people I know use Blackberrys I will be using BBM.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-07-30 13:58
But JC, the iPhone and Androids are outselling by far, BB's. Therefore it stands to reason that most will not be using (eventually) BBM.
Or did I misunderstand what you meant?
iPad Air 16GB
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2011-07-30 16:15
you can install liveprofile,it works on blackberry,ios and android.
galaxy note8
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-07-30 17:03

On 2011-07-30 13:58:58, skblakee wrote:
But JC, the iPhone and Androids are outselling by far, BB's. Therefore it stands to reason that most will not be using (eventually) BBM.
Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

Actually in the UK in 2010 Blackberrys outsold iPhones and Android phones souce so it stands that more UK users will be moving to BBM where I am.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-07-30 18:14
^^ Same situation in the Netherlands: in 2010 the BB Bold 9700 was the best sold phone here.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-07-30 18:21
Wow! The iPhone and Android are not invincible after all then? It might be that only in the US does IOS and Android dominate the market.

BBM will probably help keep the Blackberry relevant.
iPad Air 16GB
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-07-31 00:37
Sometimes I wonder why people buy blackb's and the answers I get are:

- The "bbpin". This is how the majority of dominicans call the BBM.

- The "free" communication.

For God's sake! Those are vague answers. I tell them I can do that with Android. Whatsapp is a popular inter OS messenger which just needs a phone number. It's easier keeping a phone number than a bbpin.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-07-31 00:53

On 2011-07-31 00:37:00, tranced wrote:
Whatsapp is a popular inter OS messenger which just needs a phone number. It's easier keeping a phone number than a bbpin.

Quite true! You have just strengthened my arguments for the next time I am in such a discussion.
iPad Air 16GB
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-07-31 02:40

On 2011-07-31 00:37:00, tranced wrote:
Sometimes I wonder why people buy blackb's and the answers I get are:

- The "bbpin". This is how the majority of dominicans call the BBM.

- The "free" communication.

For God's sake! Those are vague answers. I tell them I can do that with Android. Whatsapp is a popular inter OS messenger which just needs a phone number. It's easier keeping a phone number than a bbpin.

Same with Kik. I tried whatsapp and pingchat as well, I ended up preferring Kik. I didn't like pingchat cuz it tied itself to the device.

But there are so many BBM alternatives that work with all the mobils OS platforms. Rim was threatened the most by Kik (which is why they banned Kik from AppWorld a few days after it was released for BB)
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2011-08-01 23:16
I hate the BB im using... hate it with a passion and cant wait until mid month when I can finally go back to Android (with a lovely SGS2)... only reason im using a BB at the moment is work, we decided to go BB last year... but mid month is upgrade/new contract time and we're moving all the phones onto O2 and everyone will be getting the new touchscreen Bolds aka Dakota's... Thankfully I'll be getting myself a SGS2!

Keeping the BB's for everyone as they are pretty locked down, so people wont be able to do what im gonna do and load on custom ROM's and hacks etc...

BBM is BB's saving grace, but with WhatsApp and the like im not sure how long it will be...
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-08-01 23:19
Once Whatsapp takes off BB's and BBM is dead!
iPad Air 16GB
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 00:01
Is BBM still popular in your area? I didnt want to start a new thread on this but would like to get thoughts and opinions.

Here in the Caribbean and Latin America RIM controls 45% of the cellphone market. It is their largest market by share. No doubt it is because of the BBM.

Thoughts? Opinions?
iPad Air 16GB
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 01:14
Same situation here in South Africa, BlackBerrys outsell Androids and iPhones by a huge gap, and for the same reasons:

-Unlimited web
-BBM
For just R59 per month, thats around 7.40USD on top of the contract or prepaid you get BIS on your BB.

Although i said unlimited web, two of our largest networks are clamping down on it and throttling down download speeds if you download more than 100mb, as many kids used their BBs to download huge files and heavy streaming, some amounting to 300GB in a month, so they are now stricter on it.

Most of my friends own BBs ranging from the low end 8520 Curve to the high end 9810 Torch, you find even little 10yrld kids with these phones especialy the 8520 thanks to the cheap data, and BBM.

I cant stand BBs, they run on outdated HW, have a dull UI with an OS that inspires very little dev support and lately they have the worst batt life (OS7 BBs).
I use WhatsApp, thats how i chat to everyone whether they have BB, Android, iPhone or a Symbian, its just as functional as BBM.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi