Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > N8´s Major Camera Desing Flaw - Poor Flare Performance

Author N8´s Major Camera Desing Flaw - Poor Flare Performance
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-17 01:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-11-16 23:10:01, false_morel wrote:

On 2010-11-16 16:50:18, etaab wrote:
Alright ive been away for a couple of days and all this has happened. Its turned all Carol Vorderman !

SO, basically are we saying it is the silver rim YES or NO ?

And if the answer is yes, who is going to mod theirs first by doing something about it ??

Well, despite all that discussion and geometrical as well as optical aspects discussed at certain depth, we couldn't come up with a clear conclusion!

What's certain is that teh ring should have some effect. How radical and at what situations exactly and what angles need some more measuring and experimenting..

But surely Nokia got to have some explanations.
As I receive my N8, I shall give them some headaches. I'm good at that.

@ etaab: I´ll surely not be the first to try it out!

@ false_morel:

Yeah... My guess is that this ring is purely a designer´s idea.

I am pretty sure that Damian Dinning, being a man into photography, would never put that reflective surface there.

Anyway, I am starting to learn N8´s tricks and I have already taken a thousand pics. I guess I´ll put some down @ flickr. Still need to create an account there, though.

Nice discussion we´ve got here. I am pretty sure I have simplified things way too much and maybe I´ve even written something rubbish, but as a mechanical engineer I am not that into light properties and how it gets into lenses.
Every Picture Tells a Story
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2010-11-17 03:31
On 2010-11-17 01:22:50, Vit wrote:

Anyway, I am starting to learn N8´s tricks and I have already taken a thousand pics.....

Had mine since Oct 21st and only taken 75 pictures

....man, I really need to take some time off so I can play with my phone!
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2010-11-17 02:34 ]
[addsig]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-18 22:11
Well i only got my second N8 back as a replacement for the original faulty handset on Monday. So ive not exactly taken a huge amount of pictures either.

I will do soon however. To be honest, i still stick with my original opinion, that this potential issue / problem may or may not exist. If it does and the silver ring around the camera lens is to blame im sure its something easily avoidable.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-20 08:52

On 2010-11-18 22:11:57, etaab wrote:
Well i only got my second N8 back as a replacement for the original faulty handset on Monday.

Was your first piece suffering from the power problem? I am holding off my N8 purchase until I see there's a way to be sure that I pick up one that has been fixed. (Serial number not within a faulty batch or sticker on the box or something similar.) I don't want to rely on the local service centers here in Oman. Dust and finger prints inside the screen glass is one of the annoyances you have to take if you hand in a phone for repair.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-25 11:42
No my original N8's 3.5mm jack didnt work. Im glad i got a replacement, my new N8 is much more solid, like the original was from a first shoddy batch. The casing, the screen glass, everything all sit perfectly on my new N8. On my first one, the glass was slightly recessed, so the casing surround was sharp to the touch almost like a knife.

Even the camera shutter key was pretty rubbish. My new N8 has a really loud click when you half press the shutter key which you can also feel through the finger.
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-11-28 04:00
what settings are you guys using for indoor night shots?
I have been getting mixed results.. some shots are coming out with very bright washed out colors.. not sure why really
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-28 14:08
Im not an expert since i dont take many night shots but ill post some examples of my efforts later.

Also an example of this flare issue, which i think is purely down to the wider angle lens of the N8.
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-01 01:40

On 2010-11-28 04:00:21, jake20 wrote:
what settings are you guys using for indoor night shots?
I have been getting mixed results.. some shots are coming out with very bright washed out colors.. not sure why really

Yeah, Jake. Me too...

I also suspect that Nokia has adopted a very heavy coloured noise suppression algorithm for high ISO shots. You see that almost all of this kind of shots have poor colour saturation. Besides that, when you look at pics at 100% of magnification you also see almost no yellow spots. That´s an indicative of that suppression. What I like about Sony´s approach with Satio is that it has a pretty mature noise suppression algorithm at higher ISO speeds.

I was looking at my Satio shots again and I am really surprised by how good looking its high ISO shots look like. I guess that some of them look better than N8´s shots. The N8 seem to resolve more detail when you look @ 100% magnification, but when you look at the resized pics, then most of the Satio´s shots look better, IMO. I´ll be posting some examples soon.

I don´t know...

Another thing is that the N8 almost always choose an ISO 500+ setting for low light shots, and that manual ISO is pretty much useless, as we cannot have a slower SS with ISO 100, for instance.

I am not pleased by N8´s low light shots. Not at all.

jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-12-04 04:12
@Vit,
I was choosing Sunny white balance setting for my indoor flash shots, and seemed to be getting some better results.
I just went on vacation and took over 500 shots.

Many shots didn't come out great due to strong light sources, and a lot of low light non flash shots that looked great on my phone, do not look so good when on my computer monitor.. I guess i am also still learning the behavior of this phone.

But I did take some truly stunning pics. Getting the right lighting seemed to be my biggest challenge. Too bright and my outdoor pics looked like crap.

I did also take a couple stunning panoramas, and the quality of video in both low light and daylight was amazing. I was very impressed with the video performance.
[ This Message was edited by: jake20 on 2010-12-04 03:13 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-15 00:20
It happened to me today I noticed it on screen too
Phone?? What phone??
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-18 17:08

On 2010-12-04 04:12:30, jake20 wrote:
@Vit,
I was choosing Sunny white balance setting for my indoor flash shots, and seemed to be getting some better results.
I just went on vacation and took over 500 shots.

Many shots didn't come out great due to strong light sources, and a lot of low light non flash shots that looked great on my phone, do not look so good when on my computer monitor.. I guess i am also still learning the behavior of this phone.

But I did take some truly stunning pics. Getting the right lighting seemed to be my biggest challenge. Too bright and my outdoor pics looked like crap.

I did also take a couple stunning panoramas, and the quality of video in both low light and daylight was amazing. I was very impressed with the video performance.
[ This Message was edited by: jake20 on 2010-12-04 03:13 ]

Hi, pal!

I´ve seen some of your vacation´s pics, and they indeed look fabulous!

Yeah, as I´ve pointed out in the 'N8 vs Satio Camera Shoot Out' thread, the N8 preview is highly misleading.

First of all, the live view is totally inaccurate. Secondly, the pics look warmer and brighter in the phone´s display than in a PC monitor.

The N8 also tends to apply a heavy Digital Exposure Compensation for slower shutter speeds.

I´ve just posted some examples in that thread. Check them out.

As for the video recording, I agree with you. It looks just fantastic. I´ll try to post an example from a Jazz gig I´ve recorded. It looks just fantastic.

Crispy sound and awesome clean image. Indeed remarkable performance.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-12-18 18:29

On 2010-12-18 17:08:41, Vit wrote:
Secondly, the pics look warmer and brighter in the phone´s display than in a PC monitor.

Vit, as to this point, you may have missed that the N8 has an AMOLED display.
Our PC displays are all LCDs.

Hence the obvious difference in displaying the photos.

As for the video recording, I agree with you. It looks just fantastic. I´ll try to post an example from a Jazz gig I´ve recorded. It looks just fantastic.

Crispy sound and awesome clean image. Indeed remarkable performance.

Well, I haven't experiened much with video capture.. Barely tried out.. I don't use it much anyway..

But really good to read all those positive comments.. Motivating to say the least..
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-12-18 19:16

On 2010-12-18 18:29:59, false_morel wrote:

On 2010-12-18 17:08:41, Vit wrote:
Secondly, the pics look warmer and brighter in the phone´s display than in a PC monitor.

Vit, as to this point, you may have missed that the N8 has an AMOLED display.
Our PC displays are all LCDs.

Hence the obvious difference in displaying the photos.

But the colour temperature is something that can be tuned, no matter the type of display. There are some benchmarks for that purpose over the net.

Well, one way or the other, the thing is that it is indeed misleading.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi