Previous  123 ... 252627 ... 515253  Next
Author Satio vs Nokia N8
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2010-10-14 15:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-10-14 12:50:44, babu20 wrote:
can anyone tell me the price for Nokia N8 in USA...?

$549
http://store.nokia.com/webapp[....]detail_10500_10101_-1_10000675 [addsig]
babu20
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-14 21:12
@ mlife

thanks dude..
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-14 22:04
Bah ! i wish i had taken the next day delivery option, its only been one day since they dispatched it and im dying waiting for it to come. Oh well 4 more days to go maximum !

Bear in mind im in the UK and have ordered mine from Nokia UK's online shop.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-10-14 21:05 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-14 22:27
Flipping nora they are nice quality shots
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 19:52
Ok my N8 has now appeared at my house for the first time and is now on its first charge. It actually turned up early this morning but ive been at work all day. My girlfriend wasnt even going to tell me it had come and hid it. Harsh !

Initial impressions:

- Retail package is minimal and very simple, if not weak. The size and shape of the box is very much like a pizza box, a Dominos pizza box !
    - Phone is very well made, feels very solid. Turned phone on once prior to initial charge and found the screen very nice better than Satio. Not quite as good as Samsung Wave Super AMOLED but still very very good.
    - Phone comes with most weird charger ever, UK third pin needs to be extended telescopically prior to use
    - My N8 is orange, which is rather disappointing for me. I thought the orange colour would be a bright orange but its more a dark orange in colour. Hopefully it will look more citrus in good daylight.
    - Phone did come with USB OTB adaptor, micro USB cable, mini HDMI adaptor

Once the phone is charged and ive had a play around with it ill post some more. Since its dark here now in the UK ill try a low light shot and some indoors possibly using the flash versus Satio. But for now, heres my N8 with girlfriends Wave:

[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-10-15 18:52 ]
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-15 20:53
Looks good etaab congrats fella, I'm looking forward to the photo comparison to the satio
Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 21:18
congrats etaab! looking forward to your impressions

still waiting for my green N8...
deyaniralastrega
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 21:23
I wish in a good photo comparison
naveedaziz83
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 23:02
i want an orange one .. but i think it wont be available here in the middle east yet ...

the only two "dummy" colors i saw were the grey and green
Nokia N8
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-16 12:01
First charge took much longer than i anticipated. After playing with the phone last night for several hours i have to say how much better Symbian 3 is now over my old Satio's Symbian 1.

Everything is much faster, smoother, more intuitive. It reminds me much of Samsung's Touchwhiz interface - very fluid but not on the same par as iOS or Android, but thats not a bad thing as its not meant to be like those.

Phone has a nice but rather small LED next to the micro-USB port which indicates charging and fully charged. The phones menu button flashes when you miss a call or receive a text message. The feel of the phone is solid being aluminium. My only complaint is that because it is aluminium and not steel like the Samsung Wave my girlfriend uses, it does feel slightly cheaper and not as metallic. Still very good.

The screen is great. I know its only nHD and nowhere near the dizzy resolution of the gorgeous screen of the iPhone 4 but image quality is pretty much perfect. Again, my only complaint would be the brightness. In anything other than very bright daylight or indoors lighting the screen goes very dark due to the ambient light sensor. Most Nokia phones have them but i think the N8 does kind of go to an extreme in lowering the screen backlighting when using the phone indoors. For example, i signed into the Nokia Social app to connect my N8 to Facebook and couldnt read the grey text on a white background. Once setup however, the text turns black.

Like i said earlier, i didnt get a chance to play with my N8's camera as it was dark last night but will post some examples today. From the rubbish pictures of my living room and other test items around the house i found the auto focus to lock almost instantly - very impressive !

My main gripe with the phone as of right now is the way in which Symbian 3 now handles data connections. On my old Satio and every other Symbian device before it i always had the phone set to ask which connection to use prior to connecting, be it O2 mobile web, O2 GPRS or my home WLAN. Strangely, the option here has now gone, so for someone like me who has no data tarrif at all you often find yourself connecting to the internet when you do not want to using a connection you wouldnt want to. I have found a way around it now, by going into the settings and altering a few permissions but still every so often the phone connects to O2 for what seems no apparent reason. I have gone through all apps which would make use of the internet and set them all to ask permission. I think the camera has A-GPS only, as i noticed when i turned on save location, again the phone tried to connect to O2. Frustrating and annoying but im sure ill figure it out soon.

I love the N8, it really is quite impressive how far Symbian has come since S60 5th edition.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-10-16 11:13 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-16 20:28
OK here we go. Some comparison pictures by myself. To be honest i prefer the Satio pictures as they're not as dark and in some cases less blurry. Not that i think for a moment that the N8's camera has any major flaws, i was simply rushing and this was by no means a proper image test. It was the same this time last year when i bought my Satio, at first i didnt know how to get the best results from its camera - the N8 is no different.

Satio

First picture, due to the N8's camera having a slightly wider angle lens more is captured and objects look smaller. The Satio had better light due to a cloud passing overhead but i think the N8 did rather well also. Notice however that the N8 captured the blue sky through the clouds, where the Satio sky was simply burnt white.

Nokia N8

Satio

Nokia N8

Satio

Nokia N8

Satio

Nokia N8

Satio

Nokia N8

Satio

Nokia N8

Satio

Nokia N8

Next up, indoors again using nothing but automatic settings from both cameraphones

Satio

Nokia N8

I am rather disappointed, but not with the N8 but with myself. I dont think i did very well holding the N8 or spending enough time to get the shot i needed to do a proper comparison. There is one area the Satio has a major advantage over the N8 when taking pictures - its shape. Because the Satio has sides that are square its easy to get a firm grip of the phone when taking pictures. Ive noticed this moreso when taking pictures of myself and my girlfriend.

The N8 on the other hand has a brushed aluminium body which is much more slippery. It also has smooth curved sides which give you the feeling that you could quite easily drop the phone. Today i was quite worried and nervous about dropping the N8 compared to the Satio which was very easy to hold. N8, extreme care needed when taking pictures.

Overall however im quite impressed with the image quality for my first snaps.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-10-16 19:38 ]
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-16 20:38
Nice comparrison etaab cheers fella personally I prefer the N8's photo's they seem to pick out the sky better and give a more realistic depth of colour.
Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-16 20:45
They did yes, but like i said above i was disappointed with my own shooting skills. I was VERY WORRIED about dropping the N8 i think i might have held it a little too tight and been too quick to move after hitting the shutter key. The N8's autofocus absolutely trounces the Satio autofocus, ive never seen a phone focus so quickly. Face detection is also very quick, however it was turned off for these pictures.

Ill post a video soon.

jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-10-16 21:11
etaab.. one more thing to remember is that its not so much how the post processing makes some of the satio pictures brighter or more pleasing to the eye.. for me its which camera produced a picture that represented what the actual scene looked like..

For N8 you can always turn on Vivid mode to get pictures to look like Iphone for over saturated color look
zide
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-10-16 21:23
Nice comparison. Would like to see some with 100% crops! Or just post them with imagehack, for example.
See my photos taken with the C902, Satio or E72 in here!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 252627 ... 515253  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic