Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > No more updates for satio

Previous  123 ... 121314  Next
Author No more updates for satio
riksilvers
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-18 14:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
For me the problems is the slow UI, battery life ( I have a night clock with alarm app which just shows the time but leaving just this one app running flattens the battery in just a few hours. Well before the morning ). Running anything just saps the battery. There should have been more Camera options/menus. This was their 'flagship' 12mp camera phone, my C905 has more and better menu option and takes a better photo. Video is always blurred. Audio is far too quiet.

If the plan is 'no more firmware updates' then why can't they make the phone more accessable for modders to fix the things that they should have fixed and in general make it easier for modders to develop the Satio so it can be a better phone for all of us?

Dropping support in just one year is not what they said they would do..and is not good when most mobile phone companies lock you into a 18months contract too
I read that SE themselves state it's 2 years that they continue development which must also mean firmware updates.
READ HERE

This is my 6th SE phone.....and will be the last.
[ This Message was edited by: riksilvers on 2010-08-18 15:00 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 00:19
I do have to disagree with everyone here who has stated their N95 and other S60 phones from Nokia all had bad bugs when they first bought them.

Im the opposite. Ive never owned a single Symbian based handset which suffered from bugs which made the phone annoying or hard to use. My first S60 phone was a Nokia N-Gage, followed by a N70, N93 (wonderful phone except for its size) and a N95 8gb. Not a single one of them would spontaneously restart or crash. Symbian i have found to be a very stable OS from my first experience.

I did briefly own a P900 also, again that was also stable running UIQ. So from my experience i dont think its fair to put the Satio or SE's failings down to Symbian at all.

I have noticed however, in other countries such as those in Asia and the far east many people do complain about the stability of their Symbian handsets. This could possibly be due to Symbian not supporting those markets very well, for which they could be blamed, or simply poor branding of the firmware by the operators in those regions. Its the same across every forum i go on, whereas in the UK and Europe, people seem to have much more stable handsets. Every phone ive owned this past 6 years has been unbranded, i never buy branded handsets, which may also explain my success with stable phones from day one.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-19 01:03
There may be some truth to that. I always buy unbranded handsets or unbrand them myself, perhaps why I never have problems with SE phones. The Nokia's I've owned I've never bothered unbranding because I've not used them for long before going back to SE. The N70 was secondhand to start with, though to be fair it had always being a crash monkey which is why the girl sold it to me. I debranded it and cross-graded the firmware to the Music Edition, it was better but still crashed way to easily. The N95's weren't anywhere near as bad as the N70.

@riksilvers, I agree it's a bit rude that SE closed off the modding on the latest Satio firmware, but the fact is you can mod still, you just have ot go through the downgrade/helloOX/upgrade processes. Also, looking at it from the manufacturers point of view, if it's their last firmware they want to ensure people aren't running mods on it that destabalise the handset and give the Satio even more of a bad name than you guys are already giving it.
riksilvers
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 02:05
lol.....destabalise the handset and give the Satio even more of a bad name...
nobody can do worse than SE..

Modders have never made a phone worse....users make sure of that..duh.

you name a phone where modders have totally messed up !!!!
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-19 02:26
See you laugh when I say "destabalise the phone", yet my Satio, etaabs and many others, running the latest firmware, are not having any troubles with stability. Don't you get it? The Satio is not an unstable handset. What people are complaining about is the fact that SE have stopped development on the firmware and therefore there won't be any improvement to the features. IE: no additional features. The stability was sorted several firmware's ago.

Whose laughing at who? My Satio is fine thank you very much. What ever problems yours has are not a generic problem otherwise all handsets would be unstable.

If your handset crashes alot then you should make sure you have the latest firmware and then if you still have problems you have a legitimate case to get your handset replaced under warranty. If you get a new handset and it still crashes then you need to debrand, since branded handsets are often more likely to crash than non-branded.

If you haven't gone through these steps then you obviously don't want to help yourself and would rather just moan and bitch.

BTW, just browse the forums, you will find many cases of people who have applied mods to their phone and screwed it up. I'm not saying that the guys who designed the mods are at fault, but the people trying to apply their mods often do stuff it up. Example: someone comes out with a cool modded camdriver, then shows people how to tweak the driver for themselves. Then some guy tweaks his cam driver, then later, noticing that his camera crashes a lot, jumps on a forum and complains how dodgy the camera is, forgetting to mention that he's using a self-modded driver. That's a true story btw. There are many more examples.

If I was SE I wouldn't want ameteurs stuffing with the firmware either. As an end user I will mod to my hearts content, but I don't expect SE to get a hard-on over it. Modding is something I do for myself, and I accept that it completely invalidates any rights I have to expect SE to fix it. IE: goodbye warranty.

riksilvers
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 09:17
@ max_wedge

So your UI is super fast, Audio is loud and crisp, No blurred video and have more camera menu options. I very much doubt it.

I think you need to read what I said at the top of this page. I never mentioned unstable.!! .. I checked and I can't see where I said unstable.....wait on...I'll just check again.....nup...no mention of unstable..
Seems you've done about the same amount of moaning and bitching but to other people.
If your happy with yours then why come on here ?

dipb
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 11:42
Don't know about others, but my camera has just become fantastic after applying eltofer's moded camdriver. The pictures are crisp, vivid and clear with less noise. The video's are better, with only some 1 sec pause at the beginning.

I have not yet applied the Kokoromod pack but the UI is dependable. I can live with few secs delay at start up.
BAM mod pack has improved the sound capability too.

So I would say in a way, moded drivers has improved the phone's performance a lot. Thanks to the initiative taken by few of us here like raafat, bashitz, eltofer.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 12:08

On 2010-08-19 09:17:36, riksilvers wrote:
@ max_wedge

So your UI is super fast, Audio is loud and crisp, No blurred video

Pretty much. I've especially got no problems with the video. It's brilliant.
riksilvers
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 16:40
I have found you can manually fix the focus when recording video.

If while in photo mode you press the capture button halfway to set the focus and keep your finger there, then with another finger switch to video mode - you have set the focus for video recording.

nifty
eltoffer
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-08-20 04:58

On 2010-08-19 11:42:40, dipb wrote:
Don't know about others, but my camera has just become fantastic after applying eltofer's moded camdriver. The pictures are crisp, vivid and clear with less noise. The video's are better, with only some 1 sec pause at the beginning.

I have not yet applied the Kokoromod pack but the UI is dependable. I can live with few secs delay at start up.
BAM mod pack has improved the sound capability too.

So I would say in a way, moded drivers has improved the phone's performance a lot. Thanks to the initiative taken by few of us here like raafat, bashitz, eltofer.

Woow i think you are the only one who is happy with my modd, at least the only one i know

riksilvers

I have found you can manually fix the focus when recording video.

If while in photo mode you press the capture button halfway to set the focus and keep your finger there, then with another finger switch to video mode - you have set the focus for video recording.

nifty

woooooow nice trick it works
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-20 08:42

On 2010-08-19 09:17:36, riksilvers wrote:
@ max_wedge

So your UI is super fast, Audio is loud and crisp, No blurred video and have more camera menu options. I very much doubt it.

Actually I never said the UI was fast, infact several times I have conceded that the UI is slow. As are all s60 handsets I've played with (slow compared to an SE feature phone anyway). But a slow UI isn't a reason to write the phone off...

*I have also conceded that the Audio is not very loud (yet with isolation style ear buds I can hear the audio fine in all environments) - and I also mentioned that many companies reduce output of the audio to appease lobby groups who pressure manufacturers to keep it low to protect young people's hearing. Apple do the same thing to the audio output on their devices - kept artificially low. It sucks, but SE also have to balance the backlash from the parents whose kids might go deaf against the possible increased sales due to higher audio output. You haven't studied SE's demographic or market research so maybe SE are best to call the shot's in this case?

*No blurred video??? Maybe try holding the camera steady? My video is not blurry unless recording something close up (since in video mode focus is set to infinite). It's common for a digicams video mode to have fixed focus, or focus may be set when the recording is started but won't change while recording. Satio can do either.

*Camera options? Okay, yes more options would be nice. I agree. But it has the necessary options the only thing that would be nice is an iso control and forced flash but the lack of these things is not as big a deal as you paint it. Okay I get that you are unhappy about it, but I'm pretty demanding myself and while I admit disappointment over the defficiencies of the Satio (which I have never denied), over all the handset has an incredible lot to offer.

I think you need to read what I said at the top of this page. I never mentioned unstable.!! .. I checked and I can't see where I said unstable.....wait on...I'll just check again.....nup...no mention of unstable..

No, but you made fun of my statement that modders might destablise the satio, from that I inferred you thought the Satio unstable already. My bad if that was not what you meant.

Seems you've done about the same amount of moaning and bitching but to other people.
If your happy with yours then why come on here ?

Yes, I am sick of people bashing SE for producing a handset that is not to their liking. It smacks of arrogance to think that your preferences are SO IMPORTANT that SE is somehow negligent for not living up to your expectations. There are plenty of UI innovations that the Satio has that neither Nokia nor Samsungs s60 handsets offer. Also I don't see many other cam phones with Xenon flash. Or active lense cover.

I come here to dispel myths (ie: that ALL Satios crash all the time). Any other inaccuracies I call as I see them. I may be wrong, but if someone can give me good enough reason to admit I am wrong then I will do so.
riksilvers
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-20 11:06
I have the latest firmware and it is still buggy.
About 'destablising the satio', SE do a good enough job themselves at doing this....didn't mean anything else!
I think there are enough highlighted problems with the satio on all forums for SE to have at least one last cleanup and release a big firmware.I have always said this could have been one of the best camera phones out there if only SE put more thought into the camera menus and options. Like I said , the C905 has more and with Witchkings Cybershot Xperience camera mod takes a better photo...and thats PROVEN.
[ This Message was edited by: riksilvers on 2010-08-21 10:18 ]
xurmano
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-20 12:44
Hi. SE spain commented in facebook that SE global wouldnt update Satio... A lot of people are angry and I answered for their marketing two years updates. SE Spain cant reply but he says that they will answer to SE Global and gets our complains... When I have any info I will tell... Sorry for my english. Bye!
Pato1011
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-22 00:10

On 2010-08-20 12:44:56, xurmano wrote:
Hi. SE spain commented in facebook that SE global wouldnt update Satio... A lot of people are angry and I answered for their marketing two years updates. SE Spain cant reply but he says that they will answer to SE Global and gets our complains... When I have any info I will tell... Sorry for my english. Bye!

Yep, that's true, here is the full post in spanish:

Sobre nuevas actualizaciones de Satio
.de Sony Ericsson España, el El jueves, 19 de agosto de 2010 a las 5:17.

Algunos de vosotros nos habeis preguntado en distintas ocasiones sobre futuras actualizaciones de software del Sony Ericsson Satio.

Ha habido numerosos rumores sobre si habrá o no nuevas actualizaciones y llegados a este punto y con nueva información en la mano queremos ser totalmente transparentes con vosotros y no crear falsas expectativas.

No habrá más actualizaciones de software del Sony Ericsson Satio en el futuro.

Hace unos meses se lanzó una segunda actualización de software que incluía la mayor parte de las peticiones recogidas en el blog de producto (http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/) y los diferentes test y pruebas que hemos realizado.

Estas incluían:

■Soporte para grabación de video WGVA
■Subida directa de fotos a Facebook
■Subida directa de vídeos a Youtube
■Soporte DLNA
■Mejoras en el interfaz de usuario para optimizar la experiencia del usuario

Esperamos que todos los usuarios de Sony Ericsson Satio tengáis ya esta actualización. Si no, podéis encontrarla en el siguiente link: http://www.sonyericsson.com/update

Agradecemos siempre enormemente vuestro feedback sobre nuestros productos y estamos a vuestra disposición para cualquier duda o aclaración que tengáis.

Un saludo

That´s all, i think the mos important is this: "No habrá más actualizaciones de software del Sony Ericsson Satio en el futuro." (Will not be updates of software of the Sony Ericsson Satio in the future)

What can i say, disappointed if that it´s totally true...
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-24 02:27

On 2010-08-20 11:06:00, riksilvers wrote:
I have the latest firmware and it is still buggy.
About 'destablising the satio', SE do a good enough job themselves at doing this....didn't mean anything else!
I think there are enough highlighted problems with the satio on all forums for SE to have at least one last cleanup and release a big firmware.I have always said this could have been one of the best camera phones out there if only SE put more thought into the camera menus and options. Like I said , the C905 has more and with Witchkings Cybershot Xperience camera mod takes a better photo...and thats PROVEN.
[ This Message was edited by: riksilvers on 2010-08-21 10:18 ]

destablise pretty much means the same thing as unstable in this context. I don't agree that the Satio is unstable, nor that SE unstabalised it. What they did was, bring out a buggy firmware that has since been stabalised.

btw, there is the eltoffer mod camdrivers for Satio, http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=195785
I don't think you can compare a modded c905 camdriver with a stock Satio.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 121314  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic