Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > No more updates for satio

Previous  123 ... 11 121314  Next
Author No more updates for satio
heara
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-17 00:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
me too no more SE i told my friends not to buy it, so all my friends at least have one, good bye SE
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-17 04:39
SE rock, stop moaning. It's a phone company. If you don't like their phone's why waste time moaning about it??

henryblank
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-17 04:50
Listen - Again, I spoke with a SE CSR and he told me that releases for both the Xperia X10 (Android) and Satio (Symbian) would be coming in the August / September time frame.

Now, the Xperia X10 is still on Android 1.6 (real real real old!) and AT&T (NAM) released the X10 just yesterday, August 15th. SE has confirmed (officially, not some blog) that a major release to Android 2.1 is coming in Q3/early Q4. If this release comes out and we don't see anything for the Satio, then I agree and we're all screwed.

You may want to hold up until then before tossing your Satio into the toilet..
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-17 09:04
Why chuck it in the toilet? I don't get this Satio hate. Was the phone advertised as something different than it was? Did people rush out and buy this thinking that even if it couldn't oversee a moon landing when they bought it that what the hell, SE will fix that with a new firmware release?

Was SE supposed to what, bring out a new dishwashing feature? Or maybe make it talk to the animals?

Guys, there is nothing wrong with Satio. It's the best phone SE have produced to date with the exception of perhaps X10 (but Satio has better camera).

And it's s60, you gotta hand it to SE for that. It's an s60 phone THAT DOESN'T CRASH left right and centre.

That's respect worthy in my book.
pintycar
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-17 10:40
That DOESN´T CRASH?? My Ass doesn't crash! Surely you haven't been using this phone intensely enough. Just play around with the radio a little bit and tell me if it crashes or not.. And also, a pocket calculator doesn´t crash either and that doesn't mean that it is an exciting device which fulfills all the customers' expectations for a flagship phone of 2009-10. SE has clearly let us down.

/Pintycar.
KimbaDWL
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-17 12:51
I have to underline that my Satio does not crash. I am not a heavy duty user but I use the most funktions quite often.
Nevertheless I expected the Satio to be treated at least as good as Nokia did with the 5800. I expected SE to
push S60v5 to its limits.
Well obviously my expectations were wrong. My fault? In parts for sure. I should have waited longer before buying the Satio and test it more intense in the shops (like with PC-Games: always wait at least for the first patch before you buy it!).
SE´s fault? In most parts I think. In the past several updates where standard and they have the experience (or could buy it) and the manpower to create new updates. But they are occupied with too many other systems (android, their own, windows) that they do everything a bit but nothing full. On the other hand: other companies do it! So why not SE?
But..well..that has all been discussed before.....

Greeting
KimbaDWL
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-08-17 13:03

On 2010-08-17 09:04:54, max_wedge wrote:
Why chuck it in the toilet? I don't get this Satio hate. Was the phone advertised as something different than it was?

No it was not, but it was kinda expected to be SE's saviour against the likes of Nokia. Back in early 2009 when it was announced the thought of the Satio's specs and its 12mp camera blew Nokia's 5mp cameraphones out of the water.

I for one was not expecting to see 12mp cameraphones for another year or two. Today, theres still only a small handful of phones with 12mp cameras built into them.

The thing is, like the iPhone 4, especially on this very site, the Satio was overhyped. Take away its camera and its nothing more than a lesser N97. It has less features, less apps, less support. Everything lets the Satio down. If you go on the PlayNow site and search for free Satio games, it only lists 2, Quadrapop and Rally Masters. The Satio has GPS, but no good free GPS apps, whilst other free apps are still pretty thin on the ground.

As much as i love my Satio, within a week or two it will have been sold on to someone who might be less frustrated with it than i am. I have no problems with Symbian, i like the Satio and SE's features - but it lacks. It lacks depth of apps and games, it lacks support which Nokia give to all their handsets, it lacks features which have become common in other phones.

SE had a good opportunity with the Satio but lets face it, they missed the boat, screwed it up, counted the chickens and forgot the eggs still to hatch. I love my Satio, but it'll never please me completely so it has to go in order for me to buy a N8 which should do everything the Satio cannot.

The sad thing is, i always preferred SE phones for many years, but this past three years SE have lost the plot entirely. They're simply not very good at making good all round mobile phones anymore. Everything they release is behind the times. They just never keep up.

My Satio is stable, it does not need updating any further. It has reached its peak.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2010-08-17 12:05 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
cableguy
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2010-08-17 15:24
Straight from the horse mouth !!!

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/9094#9094
Hi Everyone,

I know it's not the answer anyone wanted to hear, but it is the reality.
There are no more updates or plans to allow changes or modifications on the Satio.
--> So there you have it
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-18 02:53
@etaab, I partially agree with what you are saying. But I don't agree that SE should be expected to be able to produce as thorough a range as Nokia, Motorola or Samsung. SE is a small company. Despite many perceptions to the contrary, they are not owned by Sony and do not get given or benefit from Sony's size the way for example Samsung mobile devision would from Samsung. They have to fight hard for every dollar and then churn as much of that back into development as they can without running at a loss. Sony and Ericsson don't subsidise SE from what I understand.

In the early days, aka K700 for example, they were still being bouyed by Sony and Ericsson dollars.

So again I say, what do people expect? They produce excellent handsets. They still rule as far as UI innovations go. They have some weaknesses which include their flagships not being as high-speced as those from Nokia and Samsung. But they are still very powerful handsets. So Satio doesn't support AVI? Yes it's a shame, but the pleasure of using the Satio compared to say the i8910, which is s60 AND has AVI support, well and truly compensates. (btw, contraray to common perception, Satio does support DIVX, but only encapsulated in an MP4 container - you can use YAMB to re-encapsulate a movie in AVI format to MP4 - 2 minutes maximum to transpose an 800MB movie from AVI to MP4).

The other weakness of SE, is that they drop firmware development as soon as the handset is stable. That said, SE did get WXGA video recording after market, as well as some other enhancements. SE development resources are tight, they are in a very competitive market, so it's natural they would want to ensure their new handset developments aren't languishing just to revitalise existing handsets that are actually already quite good already.

hat DOESN´T CRASH?? My Ass doesn't crash! Surely you haven't been using this phone intensely enough. Just play around with the radio a little bit and tell me if it crashes or not.. And also, a pocket calculator doesn´t crash either and that doesn't mean that it is an exciting device which fulfills all the customers' expectations for a flagship phone of 2009-10. SE has clearly let us down.

/Pintycar.

Dude, I use my phone for several hours every day. Other than talk and text, I watch videos or listen to music, browse the internet, facebook, youtube, take photos, use it as a usb storage device and as a NAS device, as a photo viewer, alarm clock, gmail, games (solitaire mostly!), shopping list, torch... oh and a calculator.

Those are just the functions I use daily. Add Dictionary, google maps, compass, pdf reader, office doc reader, units converter, skype, DLNA media server, btexplorer, and various other functions not necessarily daily but still regularly.

As I said, it does not crash. If yours does, you need to either a. update the software to the latest or b. if it's the latest firmware already, take it back under warranty since it's clearly faulty.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-18 03:01

On 2010-08-17 15:24:46, cableguy wrote:
Straight from the horse mouth !!!

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/9094#9094

Yes, and in that thread note dchewitt's response to KimbaDWL's comment:
Trust me, Nokia support is waaayyyyy worse! The N97 was a disaster - an extremely expensive disaster for me - don't get the N8 until it has been out a while - a new os is bound to be full of bugs (I think Nokia grows its own bug hive!!)

This parallel's my own experience of Nokia, and why I don't get to upset with SE. SE continue through firmware development until the handset is stable, that's all I expect of them. The only company that seems to put much effort into pre-release testing is Samsung, their handsets are usually stable on first release.
henryblank
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-18 03:20
Can't disagree more .. My Nokia N82 went through about 4 Firmware releases until a VERY stable load was finally attained. At the end, I couldn't make the phone restart, choke, or crash no matter what app I ran or what I did on it.

Nokia support is far better than SE .. Just ask any one who's owned a N95 or N82.
eltoffer
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-08-18 04:05

On 2010-08-18 03:20:52, henryblank wrote:
Can't disagree more .. My Nokia N82 went through about 4 Firmware releases until a VERY stable load was finally attained. At the end, I couldn't make the phone restart, choke, or crash no matter what app I ran or what I did on it.

Nokia support is far better than SE .. Just ask any one who's owned a N95 or N82.

Totally agree with you, NOKIA support is waaaaaaaaaaay better, FVCK YOU SE
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-18 04:23

On 2010-08-18 03:20:52, henryblank wrote:

hmm...that sounds like pretty much what the satio went through. 4-5 firmware releases, and it's now stable and rock solid.

As I say, why all this SE hate?? They are no worse or better than other OEM's.

btw, I did own N95 and N95 8GB. The N95 early firmware was pretty bad. The later firmware was better. The N95 8GB benefitted from the firmware development on N95. But while they were stable enough, neither phone was as stable as the Satio is now.
[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2010-08-18 03:30 ]
henryblank
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-18 04:41
Well I'm not a Satio hater or basher. I can confirm that if I use my Satio for mundane things, email .. music .. pictures .. phone calls .. SMS, it works well. BUT, when I push it a little bit hard I have noticed it tends to restart on its own.

Just the other day I was talking, the other line rang, I answered it, then I clicked 'end active call' and the darn phone restarted on me. Hate to say it, but my N82 never did this 5h1t on the "final" fw release.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-18 12:46
That's bad, all I can say is mine doesn't do that shit...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 11 121314  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic