the GPS signal

its not stable at all , it needs to be fixed
this is the only thing i want for now
KimbaDWL
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 20:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
And if there where an update for the Satio......why don´t they announce it??
No. I will believe in an update, when it´s on my phone and working......

Greetings
KimbaDWL
pmet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 20:51

On 2010-08-12 20:20:38, bahraini wrote:
i think satio is stable but now
only for one issue
the GPS signal

how is the signal not stable? can you elaborate?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-13 02:14

On 2010-08-11 13:57:29, KimbaDWL wrote:
Nevertheless there are simply bugs that have to be erased and design weaknesses that should be taken care of.
In my daily use as a multimedia-device the following points (as examples) are annoying:
- photos in the gallery are shown randomly upside down

I had this problem with my i8910, but not with the satio

- a slow camera interface

Again, in comparison to the Samsung, the Camera is faster. I bought the i8910 thinking the HD video and larger screen would be worthwhile putting up without the active camera cover I've been used to since the K750, but the slowness of the i8910 camera, specially given the need to unlock the phone first, really bites. I went and paid out my contract just so I could get the Satio on contract instead. That was a $800 decision (what the i8910 cost me - my previous contract was for the C905).

I think the camera slowness is due to s60, and SE have atleast improved it's perfomance compared to the Samsung i8910.

- no way to force the flash to ON

Agree this is a poor showing. There might be a scenes that covers this I haven't checked it out.

- blurry indoor-photos without flash although there is enough light

Again, is there a scenes option for this? I have't had too many problems, though I do agree sometimes a forced flash is necessary.

- way to low sound in my own video-recordings that making them nearly useless

This is a double edged sword - on the Samsung for example you can hack the sound levels and with the mike up high, it's great for soft sounds but loud sounds distort and sound terrible. The satio can record loud sounds without distortion - such as a concert, fireworks or trains going by.
- way to low max-volume in the headphones, making them nearly useless in loud environment (e.g. in a train)

This is an unfortunate feature in all SE phones - they are protecting our ears, or more accurately, the ears of the children of lobbyists in Europe who campaign against devices that can damage young people's hearing. I don't agree with it but it is one of those policies that SE adhere to. It's the same with silencing the camera - silent mode on the Sansumg i8910 will shut the camera up, not so on the Satio. SAME REGION - so it's not a country issue but an SE issue. They bow too much to the "public safety" advocates.

Fortunately we can fix with hacking, but that's okay for those of us with the were withall to do so, but leaves others with a bad taste in their mouth.

- low radio reception on UMTS even in fully covered UMTS-Zones
Haven't noticed this particularly. Using wifi, compared to the i8910, which disconnects on a much shorter wifi idle timeout than the satio, I'm finding the Satio better for browsing since it doesn't prompt for a connection even half as often.

- no way to display calendar-entries on the homescreen
I think there is a homescreen for this- you select the calendar shortcut and it displays calendar entries

With that in mind I bought the Satio...and now have to learn, that there will be no further updates to minimize the flaws for a phone I paid 550 EUR for.
Again, I think many of the shortcomings are not fixable via firmware updates because they either represent policy decisions (sound levels) compromise between different possible user's interpretation of the best way things should be setup, or just relate to the general slowness of s60, which never seems to be any better on any s60 device I've tested.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-13 02:25

On 2010-08-12 11:24:32, m1l4d wrote:
Can you tell me which part of v r2ak006 is stable? Problem with java apps, bug with screen unlocking, but with received sms, (these bugs are confirmed, not only me but also a lot more users I had talked to). It often restarts by itself, for no reason! I haven't experienced sort of crashes that phone just wouldn't do anything, but there were many many situations that it required a restart. And that happens every day! Well no recently, because I almost don't use it, but it still happens!

Do yourself a favour, return the phone and get a new one under warranty. Demand it. Your phone is faulty.

My Satio DOES NOT CRASH. Simply does not crash. Ever. It has never restarted itself.

The Java application on s60 is not as stable as feature phones, but that said, the Java apps I us do work very well. Google Maps, Gmail, BT Explorer, to name a few.

Is Satio perfect? Hell no. It take 2 or 3 secs for the camera to start, more that 4 secs to set a single thing, and 2 more secs to take a shot. It that perfect? When I want to take a shot of one unique moment, it's only that one moment! I can't tell my cat to hold his cool gesture, so I can take a shot!
The camera is slower than the c905 I'll grant that. But it's still faster than any other s60 camera I've tried. See my post above where I talk about the Samsung i8910.

4 sec to set a thing? It's fully automatic! 2 sec for the cam to start, 1-2 second to focus and snap the shot. That's on par for a camera phone. thb it takes about the same amount of time for my compact to take photo from the time I pick it up.

This phone has frustrated me in so many ways, like the time it wouldn't show I had new text messages and for that I lost an important appointment.

Never had this problem. get a pop up warning everytime I check the homescreen.

KimbaDWL
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-13 12:27
@max_wedge:
Thanks for an calmly discussion

I guess we could discuss every single bug, feature, flaw....(how ever to name them) of the Satio and would find a workaround for every single one. Or would simply keep our disagreements because there are too many personal tastes and expectations involved. What would be fine also, as I have to accept different opinions as long as they are not
by fact entirely wrong.

As for the workarounds: I would like to see SE to provide us users with the workarounds within a new firmware. We should not be forced to use hacks to correct things. The most simple solution for SE would be to take the latest
hacks (like KokoroMOD or BAM) and inklude them in a new minor update. At least that could be done.

You are in general right about european regulations. I am german and now about (sometimes? mostly?) stupid rules.
But I think SE is too carefull at that point. The discussion about the volume of mobiles was closed years ago when there where injuries because of a faulty firmware in one Siemens-phone. Since then I had at least three handsets wich all gave me enough volume. The Satio ist the first one wich does not satisfy me at that point.

Concerning the video volume: I compare the sound to the videos I shot with my previous phone (Nokia N82).
The sound was much better especially, when normal speech was involved. I recorded lots of theatre rehearsal and the speech was very good to understand, even if the actors where 2 - 3 m away.
With the Satio I could barely understand a word. So I have to enhance the volume later on the PC, but that enhances the general noise as well.

Well, again: We could discuss every point endless without getting a final solution. I can get over the single flaws but the flaws in total give me a disapointment. Even more because I still think that the Satio is a good phone....and there is no real alternative for me until the Nokia N8 is released ...for which I don´t have the money right now. Sigh....

Greetings
KimbaDWL

bahraini
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-08-13 17:00

On 2010-08-12 20:51:16, pmet wrote:

only for one issue
the GPS signal

it takes loooooooong time to lock
then , when it looks, the signal strats very weak, some time srops for few seconds
with time it gets better
the worst part of all this, it keeps recalculating, and if u r stop, u can see
the indicator on the map keep moving.

there is a thread about all those problems here..
pmet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-13 18:10

On 2010-08-13 17:00:53, bahraini wrote:

On 2010-08-12 20:51:16, pmet wrote:

only for one issue
the GPS signal

it takes loooooooong time to lock
then , when it looks, the signal strats very weak, some time srops for few seconds
with time it gets better
the worst part of all this, it keeps recalculating, and if u r stop, u can see
the indicator on the map keep moving.

there is a thread about all those problems here..

I see, looks like we have something in common. Do you have solar film in your car that might be the problem. It's weird that nobody else has the recalculation problem. I tried to isolate every electronic in my car, including the cd-player/radio and all I can say is it works great in my dad's car.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-15 02:05

On 2010-08-13 12:27:47, KimbaDWL wrote:
@max_wedge:

No worries, nothing I like better than a good discussion

I agree SE are too cautious on the sound level issue.

@pmet, I've always found GPS in mobiles is nowhere near as good as a dedicated GPS device. Infact the only mobile whose GPS I've been really impressed with is the Asus-Garmin, not surprisingly I guess since it's a garmin product. But that said, SE gps's do seem to take a while to connect unless they have absolutely clear sky above. Are they significantly worse than Nokia or Samsung for example? In my experience not much. My experience of most mobile phone gps systems leads me to believe they are gimmicks more than a serious feature. They work well when the skies are clear and you aren't inside, otherwise it's patchy.

I always enable a-GPS on mobiles just to get that extra boost from the network.

pmet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-15 16:04
Quote:

On 2010-08-15 02:05:31, max_wedge wrote:

@max_wedge:

@pmet, I've always found GPS in mobiles is nowhere near as good as a dedicated GPS device. Infact the only mobile whose GPS I've been really impressed with is the Asus-Garmin, not surprisingly I guess since it's a garmin product. But that said, SE gps's do seem to take a while to connect unless they have absolutely clear sky above. Are they significantly worse than Nokia or Samsung for example? In my experience not much. My experience of most mobile phone gps systems leads me to believe they are gimmicks more than a serious feature. They work well when the skies are clear and you aren't inside, otherwise it's patchy.

pmet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-15 16:31
Quote:

On 2010-08-15 16:04:00, pmet wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-15 02:05:31, max_wedge wrote:

@max_wedge:

I agree that mobile phone gps are far from dedicated gps in terms of performance but most phones i've used are at least functional, not gimmicky. We're not talking about 2min lock time here and infact, most mobile phone gps lock under 10mins vs under 1min on a dedicated device. My point here isn't the lock time as i think it's understood and expected that the gps antenna on a mobile phone is much smaller thus the longer waiting time. However, the gps needs to work as featured. With my satio phone, i can achieve a lock in 2mins without agps which i'm happy with but the navigation is largely unstable with the position jumping aroung causing the software to think u are not on the correct road. Most ironic is that this usually happens only when the signal is strong with full satelite reception on a clear day without cloud cover. This simply makes the gps feature on the phone unusable as you just can't navigate in peace without the software constantly recalculating telling u that u are on the wrong road when u are. I've tried this on various software with similar results and my maps are all updated. When i used a tracker to see the results, i see wild fluctuations in the accuracy of the navigation, sometimes spot on and sometimes the position swings 200m off the actual position. All these when the reception is full and i didn't pass under a bridge or tree with clear blue sky. On a highway, the map sometimes rotates around and thinks u are moving backwards? If u can't get a decent navigation experience with such perfect condition, i don't know what does. Perhaps my car has solar film or my speed was too fast @ 80km/hr...nah! Coming to other phones, my experience with n82 was really good, no recalculations whatsoever. My experience with htc was even better with gps locking under 1min without agps and stable navigation. Of course i'm not expecting satio to have the same gps performance as these phones but it needs to work at very least.

[ This Message was edited by: pmet on 2010-08-15 15:43 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-16 01:07
That's not good. I don't seem to have had a problem with mine, though I usually use google maps app and not the dedicated gps software. Also I only use the maps occasionally as I'm pretty familiar with my city.

I'll keep what you say in mind and have a little play.
pmet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-16 18:58
be sure to report back
anders260
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-16 21:09
http://blogs.sonyericsson.com[....]bile-phone-2010-2011/#comments

Fredrik Mansson says:
August 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm
Hi All,
We have noticed that there are a lot of questions around the different software releases for Satio and we are sorry for taking some time to get back to you all with some clarifications.
After having listened to a lot of valuable feedback on this blog and other forums, we earlier this year released the second and final software update for Satio to include some of the most common requests.
• Support for WVGA video recording
• Direct Upload of pictures to Facebook
• Direct Youtube video uploading
• DLNA support
• UI improvements – On top of above, several minor UI improvements have been done in order to optimize the user experience.
Hopefully many of you already have this software in your phone, but otherwise you find the update on http://www.sonyericsson.com/update as always.
Finally, I would like to take the opportunity to thank all of you for your valuable feedback! We continue to listen and even if not all your suggestions have been possible to implement in Satio, we are making good use of the feedback for coming Sony Ericsson products.
Regards,
Fredrik
rippi
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-16 22:02
New SE logo:

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 1011 121314  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic