Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia N8. Connect. Create. Entertain.

Previous  123 ... 171819
Author Nokia N8. Connect. Create. Entertain.
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-01-03 02:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
That's exactly my point, when I complain about phones with a good camera, but without a lens-cover, people always say :"Oh, but the glass is scratch-resistant, blablabla...."
It's not about scratches, it's about fingerprints and the greasy film they leave behind, even though this might be invisible in most pictures, you'll eventually notice a flare in some pictures with flash, or when there's light shining into the lens.
[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2011-01-03 03:57 ]
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-01-03 10:52
Yes indeed and I for one do not mind that extra mm for a lens cover.
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-01-03 21:53

On 2011-01-03 02:26:33, Marly wrote:
That's exactly my point, when I complain about phones with a good camera, but without a lens-cover, people always say :"Oh, but the glass is scratch-resistant, blablabla...."
It's not about scratches, it's about fingerprints and the greasy film they leave behind, even though this might be invisible in most pictures, you'll eventually notice a flare in some pictures with flash, or when there's light shining into the lens.
[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2011-01-03 03:57 ]

Yes very true.. Finger prints and dirty lenses cause some horrible artifacts including glares..

The N8's lens is actually hard to clean because teh outer layer isn't any normal.. It's made of scratch-resistant Gorilla glass!! This is not as easy to clean as normal lenses!!
jake20
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-01-04 15:27
yes, i notice that a dry microfiber cloth will not always work.. sometimes a damp cloth is the only thing that will remove some spots.

I wish a 3rd party company could make some kind of slim add on cover for the lens..
[ This Message was edited by: jake20 on 2011-01-04 14:28 ]
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-01-04 16:37

On 2011-01-04 15:27:17, jake20 wrote:
yes, i notice that a dry microfiber cloth will not always work.. sometimes a damp cloth is the only thing that will remove some spots.

I wish a 3rd party company could make some kind of slim add on cover for the lens..
[ This Message was edited by: jake20 on 2011-01-04 14:28 ]

Yes..

I've been looking every week for such an accessory but to no avail.. Usually the Chinese are good at making such tiny usable things..
So far no luck in finding anything though..
And I think we're not getting anything fitting on top of that lens..

Maybe, Nokia will think it over, and release a camera cover with their next flagship Q4 of this year where they promised an N8 successor with real high-quality optical zoom!!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-01-09 22:19
I dont find it such a big deal at all, since i dont touch the glass with my finger or skin, and when not in use my phone is always in its sock.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-01-10 02:06

On 2011-01-09 22:19:11, etaab wrote:
I dont find it such a big deal at all, since i dont touch the glass with my finger or skin, and when not in use my phone is always in its sock.

Oh etaab, where have you been. We missed you man.

As to that lens thingy.. I don't touch it either! And I make sure no else touches as well..
But it still ends dirty at the end of the day, despite it always kept in a leather bag when not used..

Dust and tiny moisture will alway leave residues on that "magnetic" lens..

And the real problem with the N8, its lens can't be easily cleaned.. This is my real complaint actually.

Just hold your phone under a bright light source and take a look at the lens from different angles and I'm sure you'd locate some stuff on it.. Specially on the sides and the round corners..
Now, those shouldn't lead to visible quality degradation as some real finger prints for instance do. But still it's just doesn't feel right to always take a look at your lens before shooting, and even worse, can't clean it with a fast tidy wipe!!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-01-10 21:10
Maybe im just ultra clean then, since most of the time i check my lens out and see its pretty much clean. My main gripe is the odd speck of dust, which is always unavoidable. Ive just checked my N8 lens under a 200 watt light bulb and its pretty clean except for the dust i mentioned above, which are easily removed and usually do not affect picture quality anyway. I do think it would have been nice of Nokia to add a N95 classic style lens cover however, they could simply have made the camera island larger on the rear of the phone and have a sliding cover at the same level as the glass. I would also have liked a hardware call end key, which was handy on my old Satio for killing apps quickly.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2011-01-10 20:11 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 171819
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic