Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia N8. Connect. Create. Entertain.

Visitors browsing this topic: 2
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 171819  Next
Author Nokia N8. Connect. Create. Entertain.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-12-13 17:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-12-13 15:55:09, jake20 wrote:
Have you actually seen or know anyone with one of these Generic firmwares?
So, how many people would actually get the new firmware once ready? maybe like 5-10% of all N8's out there? that doesn't seem right.

I live in Germany, and here there are no Country Variants. Only Euro2 generic phones and Operator Variants.
My phone was o2 branded (Operator Variant) and I debrand it at Nokia Care..

However, I'm "investigating" the issue..

But as to updates, the majority of countries are supported by generic phones and Operator Variants.
Just take a look at the statistical post of mine above..
Generic PCs count to 74% Worldwide!

Some regions, like Latin America (that's South and Central America) are only given generic PCs!
MEA and Africa as well..

CV and OP PCs are mainly Europe really.. And still don't count to the majority of phones there.
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2010-12-13 16:35 ]
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-12-15 17:43
I got the N8 last week but only today I can start using it as my primary phone. I had big problems getting Ovi Suite to work. It kept crashing when I tried to set up syncing with Outlook 2003. After testing a workaround I finally managed to make it work (description here). Finally time to retire my 3GS?
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2010-12-18 20:28
Guys, any explanations for the missed and inaccurate Exif information on the N8?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-18 21:45
I still have had zero issues with the N8 at all except sometimes email comes in late although that may be the network.EDIT: Since I wrote this today I have had an issue which I will say only happened once. I had ONE application open which was Opera Mobile browsing Esato & the page had alot of data with photos on. It suddenly stopped & said please close an application not enough memory I thought Nokia had sorted this problem?? Why is this happening with one app running & nothing else at all??
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-12-19 18:02 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-12-24 23:19
Opera is quite a resource hog, had a similar thing happen when i had Opera, Gravity and Music Player going on both the N8 and older 5800, funny enough ive never had memory issues when using Opera Mobile10 on Android and WM6.5, it seems to be a Symbian thing.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-24 23:24
That's odd cos I thought Opera used alot less data than the built in browser??
Phone?? What phone??
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-24 23:55
Opera Mobile, not the Mini, consumes a lot of data. I witnessed that when I had my P1.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-25 00:38
Oh I see. Well when I used Mini on the n8 it was slow and jerky Opera 10 was better. I always use Mini on Android
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-12-26 13:37
Using Opera Mini on android? I wouldn't recommend it, the built-in web browser does a far better job mate, and if you want to customize it more i'd suggest getting Dolphin Browser HD, its based on the built-in browser, with more customizability and a wealth of plug-ins e.g. the Google Translate plug-in, i often switch between the built-in android browser and Dolphin HD in my X10 ,Opera Mini just isn't a proper browser, its great for featurephones though, also Opera Mobile they both are quite awful, IMO, had Opera Mobile on my X10 for a day and deleted it, had it on the N8 and was forced to use it due to the built-in browser being so slow and a pain to use.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-12-26 19:38
I only use Opera on Android sometimes it's cos it uses less data
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-01-02 00:44
Ok, after using the N8 for more than one month now, I can safely claim this is one great device!
For me, it's the most satisfactory phone I've ever owned.

One issue I'm struggling with though, the camera lens!
I'm really struggling at keeping it clean!!

And it's not true that just a simple wipe would do it!
The outer layer on the lens glass is the same of the display screen.
Prints, moist, and dust magnet!
I think it's due to that Gorilla-glass and its extreme scratch resistance.
Nokia did really stupid by ruling a camera cover out! Can't blame them though.. One should blame the ignorant public going for those slim flat designs rather than having a 1mm thick camera cover!

With extreme precautions lately, I can't hold it clean. Worse than that, cleaning it is one nasty task!
It might appear all clean after a simple wipe, but look closely in certain angels and you'd be astonished by the spots left!!

Any hints or comments would be appreciated..

Other than that, as I mentioned earlier, just minor UI tweaks would it for me. Still, in it's current form it's more than acceptable.. Actually even preferred to other phones!
Well, a new browser and new camera interface would be welcomed as well, but also could do without..

And waiting for that first big update coming soon of course..
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2011-01-01 23:46 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-01-02 23:59
I actually found the n8 screen and lens easy to clean prints off. I never found it a finger print magnet. I actually even easily cleaned finger marks off the screen with the back of my hand. Compared to the x10 which is a magnet for scuffs the n8 is much better.
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-01-03 00:48

On 2011-01-02 23:59:00, Bonovox wrote:
I actually found the n8 screen and lens easy to clean prints off. I never found it a finger print magnet. I actually even easily cleaned finger marks off the screen with the back of my hand. Compared to the x10 which is a magnet for scuffs the n8 is much better.

Don't know about the X10, but I owned a Satio for over a year!
And it should be exactly the same display.. If not the same, then a similar one, but should at least be an enhanced version as it came out later.. But both are LCD and resistive..

On the Satio it was really smooth. And yes I could wipe it with my hand actually..

On the N8, no matter how I do that, teh screen stays f*cked up.
Same for the Lens.

Problem is, because of glass reflection or optical coating, one can't spot those prints and oily stuff on the screen..
You need to look in certain angles under bright lighting..

Same for the lens.. You'd be amazed to spot all those residues left at the sides and corners of that lens!!
And by a simple swipe, you could get rid of visible and clear finger prints. But not get it all clean.
Those oily spots will remain.

I even tried the professional way to clean a lens for christ's sake..
It's one dirty and stubborn lens.

I know those hard to see spots wont affect the quality by a degree visible to the eye, but still, it just irritates to have those spots there!
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2011-01-02 23:51 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-01-03 00:55
I have used my lens cleaner I use for my glasses. A soft cloth with a bit of the lens spray on it cleans great
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-01-03 01:41

On 2011-01-03 00:55:00, Bonovox wrote:
I have used my lens cleaner I use for my glasses. A soft cloth with a bit of the lens spray on it cleans great

I used that too. Didn't work! I wear those glasses just often, as I only have to when focusing for some long times..
So I ended up using the cleaner for the N8 more than the glasses.

But did you say you sprayed the rag and then wiped?
As far as I know one sprays the lens, spread the liquid, dry it out with a tissue, then wipe with that rag.

Anyway, there is also the camera lens cleaner..

That lens is so stubborn it made me give up I'm telling you!

It does get clean however by that dedicated cleaner, but not for long. And I keep the N8 in the dedicated bag most of the time, and when laying it down, I let it sit on the front. No direct finger prints either..

Unless some of those freakin individuals gives that eye popping WOW face when I get the phone out the bag as if it's the first time they see a mobile phoneyou know, and then grab it to check it out and touching the lens with every finger available!

Yeah, it's a sad lens story so far.. But as long as I'm still gettin some nice results, I wont make a big fuss out of it..
But I spend time wiping more than I do for shooting!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 171819  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic