Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Next Satio Firmware update - Wishlist

Author Next Satio Firmware update - Wishlist
sevemas
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2009-11-11 14:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
1st - no wap/mms settings for my operator Orange in France, search on forum's and found the settings using my phone as a Nokia 5800XM.
2nd - when pairing my BT HBH-DS205 it won't auto pair, i had to opens BT settings and add the headphone manually.
2.2nd - when pressing volume keys on BT headphone it does nothing.
3rd - when you need to dial a number and need to dial a name (ex. 1 800 next step) i don't know where the letters are.
4th - when writing a SMS, MMS or anything else with the numeric keypad i have to use the Nokia system, and that is totally different from what any sony ericsson user is used to...
5th - No phone status when pressing volume key
6th - no capuchin support (the watter level don't work)
7th - In music player all the ringtones appear in the music list, what is annoying when you choice to play all musics.
7.1th - in the file manager in the sound files folder we have too options to place the songs: Digital sounds (where the media go software place the music. and we have another sound files folder that i suppose is to place the phone tones. but the music player insists to mix all them.
8th - all time sony ericsson in the file manager we can in options use the file as for music to ringtone, alarm or contact, and for picture as background, contact. Now i have to go to especific settings, change the sound or picture and search among all them. I mean is not user friendly at all.
9th - when receiving a file from BT it reveives it as an SMS when before it places the item in the respective folder and give all the options you want to do or can do.
10th - when i send all my contacts from my "old" W995 via BT it only received the 1st contact in my list, i had to wait till i get home and sync
11th - the flash wallpapers don't work, i have a static wallpaper.
When i want, I search. When I search, I find.
fantazia
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-11-11 15:51

On 2009-11-11 13:12:25, ares wrote:
Replace the OS with Android 2.0?

If the satio had android, it would be awsome.

masada1971
Xperia Mini Pro White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-11 15:54
yeah,and please add optical zoom x10 for me...
kanjer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-11-11 16:39
wouldnt it be awesome for the possiblitity to wipe the rom of symbian and allow us install Android?
Terraplane
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-11-11 17:27
Totally agree with Hamster on 2 points:
Better call log application (That puts the right contact phone icon next to the logged caller rather than all mobile icons)
Power on when connected to charger or much longer timeout.

Also, is it me? I have never been able to find a number using the search phone app, like to check the last 3 digits of a number that called someone else, i.e. let me check if it's in my contacts. Just searches forever with no answers.

Video call? make that a turn off/on option I'm bored with seeing it!

The handwriting input is poorly considered, try putting a formula in excel like A2=(B2-F3) quickly, the change from number to letter is preceeded by another selection each time. The old UIQ on the P910i leaves it in the dust, numbers above the line, letters below - simple.

Even the keyboards are a pain writing combos of letters & numbers.

Having said that there are lots of good things....... it's by no means all bad!
Monaco
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-13 05:02
Phonebook needs to have alphabet listed so we can find contacts faster. I really don't want to click the dialpad, then phone book, then scroll (which is slow) and finger flick (which is erroneius most of the time), then the phonebook search by alphabet you have to click on the search, then click the notepad, then enter a letter to search. How retarded is that..really!?

Handwriting, whenever I play with the handwriting, writing H comes out to be l l no matter how many different ways I try. and i comes out to be j no matter how many different ways I try. That's pretty failure.

Note:
I hope when SE and Symbian developers come here to read for feedback that we're not just a bunch of whiny kids, we recognize the great and good things about Satio but we want them to do better so the SE buyers without a voice will have a better impression on SE and they can continue to strive to be a great company.
adcamb
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-11-13 06:52
A more consistent UI and a way to remove Yahoo. Saito is almost a great phone, just needs better software.` It feels like the P800 in terms of maturity, though it's much more stable.
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-11-13 08:44

On 2009-11-13 05:02:47, Monaco wrote:
Phonebook needs to have alphabet listed so we can find contacts faster. I really don't want to click the dialpad, then phone book, then scroll (which is slow) and finger flick (which is erroneius most of the time), then the phonebook search by alphabet you have to click on the search, then click the notepad, then enter a letter to search. How retarded is that..really!?

I found that the keyboard in the phonebook is dynamic: Tap in the inpout field, and the keyboard is displayed shows only the available characters, e.g. if you press an A, only characters that exist in second position in contacts beginning with A will be displayed, and finally, there will be no chars left to press and an unique contact is found.

Another feature from previous phones that I miss is if you enter a 1-3 digit number on the keyboard and end it with the pound sign, the phone will look up the contact on that position on the phonebook on the SIM card and start the call, e.g. type 2# and the second contact on the SIM card will be called.

Handwriting, whenever I play with the handwriting, writing H comes out to be l l no matter how many different ways I try. and i comes out to be j no matter how many different ways I try. That's pretty failure.

I haven't become friends with the handwriting either. It's having problems with distinguishing between H and K, I and J, and not to mention how to find the difference between "-", "_", "~" or between "," and "´". An idea is to assign an entirely different figure, like writing a mirrored "S" when I want "~" for example, but most of the times, it complains about that the figure I try to use is already in use.
[ This Message was edited by: altemyr on 2009-11-13 07:50 ]
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-11-13 11:16
I forgot an important thing:
Synchronise the ringtone with vibration!
If someone is doing a missed call I can't hear anything because the first 2 secs are for vibration only
Prince Vegeta,prince of all sayans
Administrator in Dailymobile
dipb
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-13 22:25
Improve the file manager it is a crap now. Even I do not think Windows 3 had that basic file manager. You cannot move or access fildes to folders properly.
bimmerboi
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-13 22:44
Anyone here having trouble wuth Class 6 microSDHC cards?

I have two 16gb microSD class 6 cards and none of them work on the Satio. Then I put on an 8gb microSD class 6 from my N95 classic. Also didnt work. Sony Ericsson should include this on their firmware update!
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-14 16:12
I would like a 3,5 audio jack...........
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-11-14 19:37
A search function in the artists, albums and tunes list in the music player would be welcome. If you have more than a hundred mp3 files, from different artists and different albums, it's very tedious to find an album or artist or song that doesn't start with a letter from the beginning of the alphabet. One needs to scroll a lot.

The same problem with the photos; unless you have tagged all photos intelligently, it's hard to find a photo. Only sorting order seems to be by date.
hanky
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2009-11-15 10:17
Also would be good, if somehow they could make Satio to recognize and work with MMR-70.
nrich
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-11-17 15:03
Just got myself a Satio. So far I love:

The looks.
The build quality.
The big 3.5’ gorgeous screen.
The viewing and handling of pictures with the touchscreen.
The walkman UI with album art.
The camera is great.
The nice UI bits that Sony have grafted over the top of S60 in places.
The home screen.
The action of camera slide.

I’ve had many S60 phones, my last phone was an N82 which is still the best phone ever made. I have a young baby so I need a decent camera, plus I’ve been longing for some large screen real estate to view pictures, movies, maps and web on. So the Satio seemed like an ideal replacement with the added bonus of being built on S60 which is a well trodden path for me with excellent multitasking capabilities.

I’ve only ever owned Nokias but their recent products have finally pushed me over the edge, I can’t wait forever. Let’s be honest, what most people really want from a smartphone is an iPhone form factor (large screen), no slide out qwerty (makes phone too big), true multitasking with a decent camera and a xenon flash. That is the Satio! I’d quite like a N900 without qwerty and better camera and xenon.

So far I like the phone a lot, it’s more a case of me getting used to S60v5 (touch) rather than me getting used to the Satio, I’ve only ever used the non-touch versions of S60 so this is all new to me. Having to know when to touch once or twice in the menus take some getting used to but I understand this is a limitation of porting traditional S60 to a touchscreen format.

As much as I’m learning to love the Satio, there are quite a number of issues with the new handset. Hopefully some can be fixed in future firmware versions. Sony, please listen and help make a good phone great!

My phone is unlocked, used in UK on O2 network. Firmware is current latest, 1218-9500_R1BB041, dated 06-10-09, custom version, 1224-3823_R1AB029.

These issues are not in order, but the real big issues that hurt usability I will mark with **, please read on……………………

1. Wi-Fi suffers from drop outs every now and again. Can’t seem to find a cause, just every now and again.

2. ** There is no way to search by name for an MP3 in Media, I have over 1200 songs on the memory card and no other way to find a track except scrolling through the entire list. Unbelievable!

3. I cannot order videos in date order. Only be ordered by filename.

4. When I have a picture attached to a contact and that person calls me, the contact picture appears ok but it is partially obscure by the contact name area.

5. ** Battery life = Not Good! Everyone knows this, not news. Please let the 1350mAH battery rumour be true……

6. When a call is received the vibration starts for about 5 seconds before the ringing starts. This might be a feature or a bug, who knows. I just wish there was a setting to choose.

7. When connecting to my bluetooth handsfree car kit there is no profile I can select for this in ‘Accessories’ menu. So when my phone is on silent in the office, it stays on silent when I get into my car. Other S60 phones had a handsfree profile. Strange this is missing as the Satio has profiles for Headset, Textphone and TV Out. Also the earpiece volume is used as the handsfree volume. This is not the case with other S60 phones.

8. ** To search for a contact is a long winded process. Being sent to a ‘split over two page non-qwerty keyboard’ to start your keypresses is hardly ideal. Why not qwerty or alphanumeric like normal S60 contacts finding? Also no contact link from normal homescreen.

9. No equalizer in Satio Media music player. Why? This is standard in all S60. I think the Satio has suffered in some cases by not using the S60 music player but benefitted in others (better to look at).

10. **Kinetic scrolling is excellent in the Media menus and other areas grafted on by Sony. But no kinetic scrolling in the normal S60 parts of the UI make getting around lists such as contacts very difficult and non-intuitive. Can we not have kinetic scrolling in all menus like N97 V2.0 firmware?

11. My Blueyonder e-mail works fine but for some reason the normal automatic retrieval settings do not work. I cannot get my e-mail checked every 30/60 mins etc, I can only connect manually?

12. Camera is excellent but the settings menu seem hard to change, the on screen settings need a hard push or several pushes to register a touch.

13. ** Screen sensitivity is not great. I know its resistive but sometimes the screen registers the touch but the UI does not react, sometimes it just does not register. Very strange. Sometimes the screen needs several touches or sometimes a really hard touch (I’m not talking about the normal S60 parts of the UI that need 2 touches to first select and then activate).

14. ** I’m not sure if the flash is weak or camera software needs changing but photos taken in low light look dark and hard to view, even at very close flash ranges of 1 metre.

15. Autorotate is bit too eager and trigger happy. The sensitivity angle could be reduced a bit please.

16. If we could have some brightness and contrast controls in video player would be good.

17. Accuweather for S60v5 install and appears to run ok until it tries to access network and then gives some strange error message. Nothing can be resolved by setting changes.

18. No RDS on the radio? Yet I think it was advertised as having RDS.

19. When photos are geotagged, unlike in N series phones there is no option to view on a map. Because no Nokia maps integrated I guess, just Google Maps and Wisepilot.

20. Speaker phone volume is a low from the loudspeaker.

21. Cannot save files that are bluetoothed to me on the memory card. If the file is too big for phone memory (See number 22) then no option to save to memory card. (I think this is an S60 issue on all phones I seem to recall)

22. ** Tiny amount of usable C drive space (50/60Mb) even though I install all apps and save everything to memory card.

23. ** Apparently Satio has 256Mb of RAM but you would not realise it as it struggles to do more than one thing at a time. This should be S60’s strength coupled with all of the Satio RAM. What’s going on?

24. Where’s the Satio Facebook App? Many can be downloaded but Satio is advertised with dedicated Facebook App.

25. ** I have set up the relevant access points in Destinations (Wi-Fi priority 1, network data priority 2). I’ve also set up all of the apps to use the correct destination and I still get asked which destination to use on app start up.

26. ** Predictive text (T9) with the alphanumeric keypad has issues! When trying to enter one letter, say m, n or o by pressing 6 key once, I cannot then toggle between them with the * key like you normally can with predictive text! I have to enter and spell n and o manually! Ridiculous!

27. ** When entering a full stop or comma or symbol after a word when I try to toggle with the * key the word is changed! Ridiculous!

28. ** Sometimes movies/videos give a ‘could not play file’ message when I launch them in Media. If I reboot the phone then they will play ok if I do it first thing without using the phone for anything else. This seems like some memory usage issues.

In general the Satio seems far from optimized in many ways. 256 Mb of RAM is not well used, it seems to get bogged down and tied up doing not very much at all! What the N97 would give for 256Mb of RAM and it would use it well, a lot better than the Satio.

Many of these fixes can be ironed out with firmware updates. I don’t expect Sony’s implementation to be as slick as Nokia’s, Nokia grew up with S60 and matured the OS to where it is today. I like what Sony is doing with S60, taking a good old reliable workhorse and making it look pretty. As long as that prettiness does not detract from the rock solid S60 functionality.

Please help us Sony, the Satio is very close to being an absolute winner.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic