Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > NexusOne 1GHz Of Android Fire?

Author NexusOne 1GHz Of Android Fire?
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-01-08 12:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've heard the the X10 has been delayed again until March now........

But as my Nexus One STILL hasn't shipped, at this rate the X10 may be in the shops before Google get mine shipped!
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 12:14
I think the Nexus One is a great phone for those who can't/won't consider an iPhone. As an iPhone user it doesn't tempt me at all - it naturally ups the ante in a few areas as you'd expect from a new phone for 2010, but it's not revolutionary even amongst other Android handsets let alone the wider market, and I'm more than happy to wait and see what the 4G iPhone brings in response.

Apple still has an enormous lead as far as interface design (with multitouch) and ecosystem goes.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 12:14
@Nitro Fan, I'm not sure that you have really been an fan for along time now as, for as long as I can remember, you seem to only come here to slag them off.

I was using android 1.5 on the tmobile pulse, and android 1.6 on the hero for a month each over Christmas and was very dissapointed. Even the WM HD2 with the HTC enhancements was much more preferential for my "average user" wife for whom I bought the pulse and then the hero, however at the end of the day she still wanted the iPhone.

I admit that android has potential but isn't that what everyone said about the iphone in the early days... so maybe in 2 years we'll see it reach its potential
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 15:59

On 2010-01-08 12:14:55, masseur wrote:
@Nitro Fan, I'm not sure that you have really been an fan for along time now as, for as long as I can remember, you seem to only come here to slag them off.

I was using android 1.5 on the tmobile pulse, and android 1.6 on the hero for a month each over Christmas and was very dissapointed. Even the WM HD2 with the HTC enhancements was much more preferential for my "average user" wife for whom I bought the pulse and then the hero, however at the end of the day she still wanted the iPhone.

I admit that android has potential but isn't that what everyone said about the iphone in the early days... so maybe in 2 years we'll see it reach its potential

I think "slag them off" is a bit disingenuous, I think perhaps my glasses are a bit less rose tinted and more objective than others here perhaps? I really see no reason to praise sub standard output, but perhaps I am wrong? though I doubt it.
I am sure there are those who will prefer the iPhone their impressive sales prove that, that but taste is a personal thing. If Android reaches it's potential in 2 years that will still be quicker than it took the iPhone to achieve adequacy!

If ESATO does not want posts that challenge Sony Ericsson to deliver what they promise, I am happy to go elsewhere. Your a mod feel free to remove me if you see fit.
[ This Message was edited by: Nitro Fan on 2010-01-08 16:42 ]
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 16:20

On 2010-01-08 15:59:51, Nitro Fan wrote:
I am sure there are those who will prefer the iPhone their sales prove, that but taste is a personal thing.

Of course it is. At the moment though, we have a lot of people who would never have bought the iPhone anyway trumpeting the N1 as the long awaited, genuine iPhone-killer, and as an iPhone user I can comfortably say it's not dead yet. In many ways, the N1 just doesn't go far enough.

If Android reaches it's potential in 2 years that will still be quicker than it took the iPhone to achieve adequacy!

Not really - the iPhone got where it is now in exactly two years, from the launch in 2007 to the last major software/hardware revision in 2009 - and a LOT of customers and developers considered it more than "adequate" long before then.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2010-01-08 15:29 ]
Str1ker
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 16:33
Does anyone know if you order the N1 from the UK if they send out a different one to what the Americans would get. As it would seem that it will have multitouch on the Vodafone one, but not in the US. Also doesn't the US have Google maps voice navigation included, which I thought is only in the US at the moment?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 16:48
@nitro fan, you appear to have misunderstood the intention of my post. All opinions are welcome and I was in no way suggesting that your opinion was invalid. Indeed my current opinion of SE is not particularly rosy either and I haven't had an SE for a very long time, well, except my trusty backup W890.
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 17:33

On 2010-01-08 16:20:28, Boinng wrote:

On 2010-01-08 15:59:51, Nitro Fan wrote:
I am sure there are those who will prefer the iPhone their sales prove, that but taste is a personal thing.

Of course it is. At the moment though, we have a lot of people who would never have bought the iPhone anyway trumpeting the N1 as the long awaited, genuine iPhone-killer, and as an iPhone user I can comfortably say it's not dead yet. In many ways, the N1 just doesn't go far enough.

If Android reaches it's potential in 2 years that will still be quicker than it took the iPhone to achieve adequacy!

Not really - the iPhone got where it is now in exactly two years, from the launch in 2007 to the last major software/hardware revision in 2009 - and a LOT of customers and developers considered it more than "adequate" long before then.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2010-01-08 15:29 ]

Hi Boinng
The bit above was supposed to be tongue in cheek! however I strongly believe Android has huge potential as an OS and we haven't really seen anything yet.

I am not an iPhone fan but even I have to accept it is currently the smartphone sector benchmark, I don't think the N1 is in anyway an iPhone killer, I am not even sure what an iPhone killer is Apple clearly have a very satisfied, loyal customer base a bit like Sony Ericsson used to have.

Until the Christmas break I had never really given Android more than a passing glance (as I had been given very poor advice about contact syncing in the past), but once I had tried it and seen how well it could deal with my requirements I was hooked.

More interestingly a least three friends who had totally ignored Android and don't want an iPhone tried the T-Mobile pulse we had to play with, then saw the N1 and have now said "That's exactly what I need" !!!! talk about a change of heart!

I think perhaps the N1's "USP" if you like, is the fact it has opened up the sector and the OS to a whole host of people who want a stylish effective device but don't like some of the restrictions the iPhone places on them and have been unaware of Android.
I feel sure the Google branding will soon take care of that especially if they start TV ad's its almost the iPhone for people who don't want an iPhone if you like.

All I know is I want one BUT I wont spend my hard earned until I can buy it in the UK with some more concrete answers on European GSM and 3G compatibility the Google phone shop are being just a little bit too vague for my liking at present, Plus its a long way to send one back.
[ This Message was edited by: Nitro Fan on 2010-01-08 16:41 ]
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 17:47

On 2010-01-08 16:48:13, masseur wrote:
@nitro fan, you appear to have misunderstood the intention of my post. All opinions are welcome and I was in no way suggesting that your opinion was invalid. Indeed my current opinion of SE is not particularly rosy either and I haven't had an SE for a very long time, well, except my trusty backup W890.

I think "Slag them off" is kind of hard to misunderstand, I have written nothing about that is untrue or undeserved but I have taken plenty of adolescent flack from people who seem to think if sold dog turds they would make perfectly good phones!
[ This Message was edited by: Nitro Fan on 2010-01-08 16:48 ]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2010-01-09 10:14
I've had some useful info about MicroSD, Wifi and BT compatibility....
snoFlake
W800
PM
Posted: 2010-01-09 14:19
Coming earlier to Vodafone maybe? Nexus One to be available on Vodafone UK within weeks

Must be quite attractive to Voda to to use Google threat to play off against Apple who after all haven't done Voda many favours and Voda are v scared of Apple ecosystem however they're equally scared of Google turning them into "dumb pipe" too - guess trying the old adage "Keep your friends close - and your enemies closer"
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2010-01-09 15:35
From where I stand Google looks like it is capable of taking Apple on and I believe it will around mid next year. For now Android is still not mature enough but definitely making huge strides, better than any OS currently.

The Iphone still has the most beautiful and excellent UI in the business and it will be interesting to see the next Iphone which I suspect will be a rather huge departure from the current minimalist upgrade to the phone.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2010-01-10 20:23

On 2010-01-09 15:35:15, Dups! wrote:
From where I stand Google looks like it is capable of taking Apple on and I believe it will around mid next year. For now Android is still not mature enough but definitely making huge strides, better than any OS currently.

The Iphone still has the most beautiful and excellent UI in the business and it will be interesting to see the next Iphone which I suspect will be a rather huge departure from the current minimalist upgrade to the phone.

+1
xperia_man
Sony Xperia Ion LT28at
PM
Posted: 2010-01-10 20:54
MINE WILL BE HERE TOMMORROW
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-01-10 21:27

On 2010-01-10 20:54:10, xperia_man wrote: