Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Does anyone actually believe in man made warming, and why?

Author Does anyone actually believe in man made warming, and why?
arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 16:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Mining uranium ore is a dirty business, and tied in with the greater risk of using nuclear energy, I don't think it's viable in the grand scheme of things. The stupid "bury the CO2" idea is more enticing than nuclear energy.
Wind and wave, and for our transportation, hydrogen. Not just fuel cells - I'm hoping to see a safe hydrogen combustion engine. There should be some manufacturers toying with the idea.
Consumology
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 16:06
And you put the nuclear waste were exactly?
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 16:13

On 2009-06-06 16:06:58, Consumology wrote:

Well it must be the lesser of two evils. I think carbon emissions have to be curtailed for a number of reasons - its dirty, unhealthy, causes respiration problems, causes wars..... Either carry on pumping co2 into the atmosphere indefinitely or bury nuclear waste. What do you think is the best bet?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 16:16
Renewable energy is fine but its weather its enough to reach everyone.
Phone?? What phone??
Consumology
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 16:20
I think carrying out what arien617 wrote is working just fine. Look at mobiles from 1990 and look at them now. The same "jump" can happen to alternative energies and it is already happening.
arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 16:28

On 2009-06-06 16:13:35, goldenface wrote:

On 2009-06-06 16:06:58, Consumology wrote:

Well it must be the lesser of two evils. I think carbon emissions have to be curtailed for a number of reasons - its dirty, unhealthy, causes respiration problems, causes wars..... Either carry on pumping co2 into the atmosphere indefinitely or bury nuclear waste. What do you think is the best bet?

And that's the problem - everyone's belief is that carbon dioxide is our only problem, which it just isn't. It solely depends on what facts your government is feeding you. Assuming global warming is real, CO2 cannot be the only cause. Correlation is not causation until it's proven so.
Our problem seems to be CO2, the Americans' is NOx. Nobody is agreeing on the matter. You cannot just label this one single chemical compound the destroyer of the human race.
I say continue pumping the CO2. As I mentioned in an earlier post that seemed to be overlooked, a time will come when we no longer will be capable of burning fossil fuels simply because there's none left. We're going to reach this point sooner or later.
We can make individual contributions to curbing greenhouse gas emissions, however, for all your carbon footprint in a year, a factory somewhere will be releasing it a millionfold. Don't burden yourselves with the pressure of 'saving the Earth.'
[ This Message was edited by: arien617 on 2009-06-06 15:29 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 16:36
Well, and I'm sorry if its a silly question, but why would our goverments and scientists willingly feed us the wrong info and lead us to believe that there was ever a problem in the first place?

After all, they do make a lot money from the tax on fuel, road tax etc
arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 16:49
I'm not saying there isn't a problem. It's evident that our environment is changing. The point I put across is that we cannot call CO2 a cause just by looking at correlation. I also didn't say governments were wrong - I said they're indecisive. This weakens the credibility of their judgements massively.
But as a direct answer to your question, I can't say I know for sure. I'd just like to point out how fuel duty has continually increased. They're not losing a penny from this. If it was a conspiracy theory, I'd put it down as just causing panic. Buy eco cars, eco food, eco holidays, eco houses. Eco things cost more. Costing more brings in more money.
Tell me if I'm missing anything.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 16:57
Well you could hardly say there was any sort of panic going on yet - not that I know of or where I live.
While I respect your opinion greatly, I'm still not convinced that there is no cause for concern as far as the indicators go.

Like I said previously, I don't thinks its a gamble worth taking.
Consumology
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 17:08
Eco is only more expensive as the usual stuff is not charged for the external costs. Even totalitarian regimes are beginning to understand this, otherwise China would never invest in Green politics.

I do not believe that democratic governments "feed" anything, politicians are representatives of majorities and those change all the time in democratic systems - you can vote for them. E.g. Bush ignored global warming almost till the end, Obama tackles it. And every individual with a working brain can believe whoever he or she wants.

I believe the problem humanity is to face with environmental pollution is pretty complex, the best effort to describe it I found here: http://www.storyofstuff.com/
Like goldenface I believe it is high time to act up and we can make a difference by applying sustainable solutions. Things like the GreenHeart initiative is a positive step in the right direction and these might buy us some time.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 17:57
I think if there is any damage its already done and not reversable. The earth naturally renews itself all the time. But we can do as much as we can with other sources of energy but at the same time and like I said China America and India are huge polluters so me as an individual am wasting my time changing my ways by taking less flights and such. China pumps out stupid amounts of pollution so whatever I do is a waste of time. Are we seriously ever going to control population or building more and more across our lands. Probably not. This makes me believe not much will ever be reduced. As for renewable energy well its a tough one to answer.
Phone?? What phone??
Consumology
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 18:56
So because in World War II over 70 Million people were killed it does not matter if you kill one or two? You have a very self-comfy logic...
michka
Sony Xperia E1
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 18:58

On 2009-06-06 15:28:00, Bonovox wrote:
What prat said there was a hole in the ozone layer. Seriously if there was a hole we probably would'nt breathing now. If aviation fuel is causing so much damage what do you think is going to happen? Nothing. Do you seriously think its going to stop or be cut it never happens. Yes your thinking if everyone else had my attitude we will all be doomed. Rubbish. Do you think MP's are going to do what they ask YOU to do. No. Because its all complete crap they tell you whatever they want. Ice caps melt and break away into the atlantic all the time its nothing new. Sorry I am not just being blind or ignoring it I just dont believe it. The world changes naturally all the time. Yes we are polluters but I see no difference in our weather around the world than I seen when I was watching the news as a kid in the late 70s or 80s. [ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2009-06-06 14:37 ]

Ice caps do not melt or break away all the time, they melt during summer time. The fact is that it now melts far more rapidly and earlier in the spring time. To such an extent that re-icing in autumn and winter does not replace anymore what has been lost during spring/summer. With the net result that the north pole ice cap has lost almost 2/3 of it's mass during the late few decades, and that, if nothing changes, north ice cap will completely disappear during summer in 10 to 20 years. Imagine, the north pole being only sea.
Pedestrian: don't run, my car is faster anyway.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 19:33

On 2009-06-06 17:57:00, Bonovox wrote:
But we can do as much as we can with other sources of energy but at the same time and like I said China America and India are huge polluters so me as an individual am wasting my time changing my ways by taking less flights and such.

Well I think that sitting back and doing notihing is not the answer. I think its up to developed countries to lead the way and combat the damage that has been done already. If europe makes the effort then I'm sure other countries will follow.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 19:45
But countries like America and China have already said that if cutting emissions is going to affect their growing economy then they wont comply. Im not saying everyone here is wrong its just what I think and do hear all the time. From what I hear I dont think the Chinese government care which is wrong.
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi