Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericssson launches "Greenheart" initiative

12  Next
Author Sony Ericssson launches "Greenheart" initiative
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-04 10:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson has announced a new environmental initiative called "Greenheart". It applies across the whole range of the company's phones, though there will also be some special handsets that are extra-green.

When announcing the move, the company quoted John Grant's "The Green Marketing Manifesto" in saying that "It's not about making normal phones green, it's about making green phones normal". To that end, the company is undertaking several tasks.

Firstly, it's dumping paper manuals for its handsets. Instead, the manuals will come on the phone itself, which plugs into a PC. In the box will only remain a quickstart guide and information that has to be included by law.

Additionally, the company is shifting to smaller packaging, made of recycled materials. Between that and the removal of the boxed manual, the company will be using 92% less paper and reduce the CO2 in the phone's lifecycle by 3kg - 15%.

The three handsets recently launched will include these improvements, so don't expect a manual if you're buying the Yari, Aino or Satio.

Sony Ericsson is also launching two new handsets. The first will be a "Greenheart" edition of the C901. This will arrive at the end of the month and have all the features of the C901, including 5-megapixel camera.

However it will be different in other ways - the casing is made of recycled plastic, from old CDs, CD cases and water bottles. A water-based paint is used to colour it, and the charger it comes with is labelled as "eco-friendly".

There's also "Walkmate Eco" software pre-loaded, that measures your footsteps when activated and tells you how much CO2 you've saved by not driving the equivalent distance.

Then, later in the year, at the start of Q4, will be another handset called the MH300 GreenHeart. This will be built from the ground up to be environmentally friendly, including the improvements above as well as more software applications, allowing you to publish your carbon savings to social networks.

Sony Ericsson criticised other phones that come with built-in solar panels, as being wasteful. Apparently the chipset is one of the biggest contributors to the carbon footprint of a handset.

Adding more silicon on in the form of a solar panel doesn't offset anywhere near enough Carbon for it to be worthwhile. In fact, the company says that charging a phone daily for three years only contributes 10% of the carbon footprint of the lifetime of the device.

The company plans further "Greenheart" phones with recycled components, including a business-oriented smartphone in the early part of next year. However, it said that smartphones are inherently more wasteful, due to their screen size.

Glass-making is another big contributor to carbon dioxide emissions, so generally the bigger the screen, the more CO2 involved in making it. As a result, the average smartphone involves 30-35kg of carbon emissions.

Sony Ericsson's entry-level green handsets, on the other hand, only push out 17-18kg of CO2 - half that of the average smartphone. Don't plump for an iPhone, though - they take up 55kg of carbon dioxide in their lifetime.

Finally, the company has pledged to reduce its carbon footprint by 20% on 2008 levels by 2015, reduce the lifecycle impact of its phones by 15% by 2015, and collect 1m phones per year for recycling by 2011.

Noble, and lofty goals, I'm sure you'll agree. However, we put it to the company that this was just "greening" ordinary phones, not making green phones ordinary as pledged at the start. Especially as the plans to roll out recycled plastic are limited to (currently) just two handsets.

The company responded that it would like to do more with recycled plastic, but it's difficult to get it in good quality in sufficient quantity to make all phones with recycled plastic. Apparently it's looking in to vegetable-based plastics, using corn starch, but that research is still at an early phase.

Source
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2009-06-04 10:59
Thats very good any pictures?
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-04 11:04
Update:
Webcast at 13:00 GMT today:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/greenheart/

Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
blerk
T100
PM
Posted: 2009-06-04 11:46
Nice initiative. What I find funny is that everybody assumes CO2/carbon is responsible for warming up the earth when there's no much proof and the scientists are not agreeing on anything. A must watch for those who seen Al Gore's film is the British response called The Great Global Warming Swindle. Where they make a nice case against the CO2/carbon ideas, for example the worlds oceans put out much more carbon than we humans do. It's good to watch both sides I guess

Watch it here:
http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/great_global_warming_swindle.php

Read about it here:
http://www.channel4.com/scien[....]/great_global_warming_swindle/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle
A To Z Feedback: [+18] - [-0]
tomasz.luch
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-04 12:15
blerk: I totally agree. There is a lot of talk recently about the whole idea of global warming. We really don't know much about our climate. Actually we know a little. Carbon limits and other ideas are like brain surgery to change someone's personality...

Of course we should work together as people for our better tomorrow but we should do it normal way, not crazy way. Garbage recycling, segregation - these things are so simple to do. But how many people are doing this?

About phones - most of it is good. Recycling, less paper used. But "Walkmate Eco"? This is crazy like I said before.

But mostly - good work SE.
I am not here and I am not there. Where am I?
amorphus
W610 Orange
PM
Posted: 2009-06-04 12:38
If C901's SAR level remains 1.57 W/kg (10g), i rather will have heart attack from this "Greenheart" phone.
[ This Message was edited by: amorphus on 2009-06-04 11:43 ]
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-04 12:47
I'd still love an original Greenheart(which was based on T650...2 years ago now!)! Interesting that they chose C901 for this treatment(bet they forgot WLAN again tho ), wonder how it'll feel?? Will it cost less than a 'normal' one??......

p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-06-04 16:12

On 2009-06-04 11:46:21, blerk wrote:
Nice initiative. What I find funny is that everybody assumes CO2/carbon is responsible for warming up the earth when there's no much proof and the scientists are not agreeing on anything. A must watch for those who seen Al Gore's film is the British response called The Great Global Warming Swindle. Where they make a nice case against the CO2/carbon ideas, for example the worlds oceans put out much more carbon than we humans do. It's good to watch both sides I guess

Watch it here:
http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/great_global_warming_swindle.php

Read about it here:
http://www.channel4.com/scien[....]/great_global_warming_swindle/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle

that's correct - there is no proof that fossil fuel emissions are warming the earth. some points to note:
1) most of the evidence sesms to suggest that it's a natural cycle where the oceans are driving the co2 emissions
2) the oceans are the drivers of the climate
3) it hasn't warmed for 10 years - the oceans have been cooling since 2003 and the troposphere and land based(however flawed) measurements have been cooling since the strong el nino in 1998... despite the fact that climate scientist cannot explain what has caused the cooling (there have been no large volcanic eruptions this decade), if they can't explain what has recently happened, how can they possibly predict what will happen in the future.
4) there is no "hot spot" around the tropics which is a signature of warming induced by co2.
5) the whole of man made global warming theory is based on climate models, which have been found to have zero predictive skill (they predicted that this decade would warm rapidly, yet the earth has gone in the opposite direction). climate models are based on assumptions about what we know, yet climate science is still in it's infancy (it's HUGELY complex).
6) there has never been nor will there ever be "runaway global warming". it's physically impossible on earth! people who compare earth to venus are clueless ignoramuses(in the media and those in the general public who believe the media) who ignore the fact that the earth has oceans(and hence, water vapour, the most dominant greenhouse gas by far. water vapour accounts for approx 80% of all greenhouse gases, whereas co2 accounts for about 4%). earth has far too many negative feedbacks built in for it to ever happen
7) it must be noted that CO2, as a (minor) greenhouse gas, has a logarithmic warming effect. if CO2 doubles, it prevents heat escaping by raising it (say) 0.5 deg C. if it doubles again, it will trap heat enough to raise temps 0.0001 deg C. double it again, and temps may rise 0.0000000001 deg C. it's effect on temperature is miniscule.

it's basically just a politically correct thing to do (it's ALL to do with politics, not science). most companies are clueless about the real science - they just go along with the politically correct thing to do because it helps them win what they see is a PR battle.
[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2009-06-04 16:46 ]
Consumology
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-05 00:42
And I thought George W. is gone. But his spirit lives on in this post. Great that SE is more enlightened than you guys!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-05 02:00
Global warming er no complete crap. Sorry. Past 2 summers we had its more global wetting
Phone?? What phone??
blerk
T100
PM
Posted: 2009-06-05 09:35
It might not be crap but the reasons it happens might be very different. Regardless it is a good initiative to make a (bio degradable) phone that is easy to recycle and doesn't contain too much bad chemicals.

@Bonovox I sugest you watch the documentary linked in my previous post. It has a lot of scientists in there from the IPCC and other bodies.
A To Z Feedback: [+18] - [-0]
michka
Sony Xperia E1
PM
Posted: 2009-06-05 16:35
I looked at the links.
The first thing is that the documentary is *not* a critical discussion about the effect of CO2, it is *solely* a presentation of an alternate theory by a few number of scientists. So you should not rely on the links you gave to say that it is the truth. You should also read the generally accepted theory (I mean by something like 99% of the scientists involved in actually measuring the effect) and make a critical analysis of *all* the facts.
Secondly, and only as one example, in the wikipedia link, the graph showing the variation of the CO2 content in the atmosphere does not tell at all what the authors say, on the contrary: if indeed it shows a cyclic variation over the last 800,000 years, it also shows that this cycle varies roughly from 175 to 290 ppm of CO2. Now, look carefully at the top right and you will see that the current value is nearly 400 ppm. If the horizontal scale of the graph was zoomed, you would see that the CO2 concentration shows a marked increase (almost 50% compared to the highest valus of the cycle)starting in the late 19th century.
There are many more places where the facts are misinterpreted like this, but I won't discuss it further as I feel it is not the proper place for this discussion.
And believe me, it's now about 40 years I do research in the field so I guess I know what I am talking about.
Pedestrian: don't run, my car is faster anyway.
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-06-05 19:34
i thought i'd set up a separate thread to talk about global warming here, so that this thread doesn't go too far off the topic of phones:
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=186124#post2681929
[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2009-06-05 18:40 ]
markztrance
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2009-06-06 17:08
uh.. oh, where are we now guys??
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-07 00:55
I don't believe in Global Warming either but that doesn't mean we shouldn't get behind this initiative from Sony Ericsson.

When I was installing Nokia CK-91 carkits there was an excessive amount of leftover packaging and materials including screws, plastic mounting plates and wiring - I used to separate it for recycling but it was very time consuming. I would reuse as many bits and pieces as possible but the amount of stuff going into landfills was excessive IMO so any reduction in packaging is welcomed by me.

I'd like to see more car chargers included if possible as electricity created by cars is underutilised IMO and this comes without the extra monetary and environmental costs of mainstream power generation.

I like the idea of having less impact on the earth, whether that impact is catastrophic or not.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi