Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony refuses to allow Sony Ericsson the use of its PlayStation brand

12  Next
Author Sony refuses to allow Sony Ericsson the use of its PlayStation brand
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-01-15 20:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson was planning a PSP phone but has been refused the brand

Sony is understood to have refused to allow Sony Ericsson the use of its PlayStation brand, after the handset manufacturer presented a pitch to the board late last year.

Sony Ericsson was planning to develop a PSP phone to capitalise on the growing success of the gaming sector, and after the success of Cyber-shot and Walkman handsets.

Sources said the refusal to sanction the brand on the handsets in December has prompted a fallout between Sony and the mobile phone joint venture.

Several sources close to the matter claimed Sony executives told colleagues at Sony Ericsson that it would only license the PlayStation brand if and when Sony makes handsets independently – effectively pushing for an exit from the joint venture with Ericsson.

It has been claimed by Sony Ericsson that Sony will only allow the use of its brand if the experience on a proposed handset is sufficiently high enough and matches the experience of Sony’s standalone devices.

A Sony Ericsson spokeswoman said the handset manufacturer ‘could not comment on what Sony has or hasn’t said’. She added: ‘In the past, we have been keen that our product proposition lives up to brand promise, and we feel at the moment the technical specs are not high enough to put such a prestigious brand on a phone.’

The handset manufacturer currently uses Sony’s Walkman and Cyber-shot brands on its phones and the Bravia TV brand is available on mobile phones
in Japan only.

The Sony Ericsson spokeswoman said the manufacturer is ‘continually reviewing’ launch plans and would look at Bravia and PlayStation ‘in the future’.

The move comes at troubled times for Sony Ericsson, which is cutting costs as the economic slowdown bites.

It will reveal realignment plans today (16 January), that will include a review of all of its operations.

In the last quarter of 2008, Sony Ericsson put a push on reclaiming its customer debts, in a bid to claw back costs before the end of the year. It is understood that the manufacturer was offering incentives to operators for paying the outstanding debts.

SOURCE
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Neo-Tech
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-15 21:06
Awww, I would have loved to see a PSP phone, oh well, at least I have my iPhone.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-01-15 21:07
Sony doestn
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
stockzie
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-15 21:22
PSP PHONE WOULD OUT DO THE IPHONE I THINK THE PSP ITS SELF IS REALY GOOD IN MY BOOK SO I WOULD LOVE A PSP PHONE
stockzie
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-01-15 22:51
Theres no problem with psp phone coming out, only SE has to have a super high end phone for that, and psp2 will be coming out by next year i guess. So it wouldnt be great to have a psp phone from SE, however, there could be a psp phone(psp2?) from sony, featuring the phone stuff from SE.
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2009-01-15 22:59
Good going by Sony. If the SE Cybershot and Walkman brands were anything like their Sony counterparts, except just the brand names, then maybe there would be a SE PSP phone...
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2009-01-15 23:05

On 2009-01-15 22:59:13, gola wrote:
Good going by Sony. If the SE Cybershot and Walkman brands were anything like their Sony counterparts, except just the brand names, then maybe there would be a SE PSP phone...

Amen to that bro.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Tigershark42
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-15 23:10
Well, its good to hear that Sony know what they are doing. I fully agree. Se hasn't demonstrated high enough specs to warrant the design of a PSP phone. When so much of their portfolio consists of basically 'copy-paste' phones, how could Sony risk undermining the Playstation brand. It's just another stone-faced reminder that SE are not even close to where they should be.
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-16 01:06
This seems like a further development of what was discussed Here a few months ago.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-01-16 01:49
Good move by Sony. Obviously the proposition put forward wasn't worth of the PSP brand. However, reading into it that its part of some exit strategy by Sony is just bone idle speculation. SE just have to come up with the goods.

This message was posted from a K850i
korbindallis
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-16 14:34
Sony has a plan for PSP brand name and has not wowed sony with the work that they put in cybershot or walkman only camera phone i liked was the S700 and there was no walkman phone that wowed me from my trusty psp or ipod, x1 was a good attempt but windows mobile screwed it i think i am just going to wait for android by [addsig]
mobse
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2009-01-16 15:12
The thing with is that the vast majority of their devices is highly likable (thanks to design solutions and a highly intuitive UI), but at the same time, they fail to catch up on the (hi)-tech front. So, even the top tier offerings like the X1 somehow end up leaving a somewhat underwhelming impression. Therefore, until they get the catching-up work done, no PSP in sight - still that's a goal to aspire to despite the unfavourable set of circumstances (including the current global economic slowdown, which is here to stay for a while, it seems).
T100 Icy Blue 850i Golden White T650i Eclipse Black M600i Crystal White
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-16 16:31
Agreed, SE would not do a PSP phone justice. Just look at the poor attempt with the F305

Just look at this piece of junk...
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2009-01-18 11:05
I think Sony's move is logical and I may agree with Sony this time

the main reason that makes Sony refuse such a license is - according to that article - is a license will require a high specified mobile phone that will allow it to play current PSP games without the need to have less quality. so they will need about the same PSP hardware ( maybe the newer hardware may allow such a device, but the original PSP hardware are too power-hungry for a mobile phone ) but without the UMD disc thingy ( = Memory Stick games )

Sony want to preserve the reputation of it's PSP as a high-end mobile gaming brand, while in the same time SE is not looking to have that type of quality but rather they only want the brand it self, and if Sony licenses it's PSP for Sony Ericsson with SE current view, then PSP brand will loose it's reputation and becomes less advance that Sony competitor in mobile gaming market, not to mention the confusion in the market ( a PSP branded device that can't play PSP games !! )

if worked hard enough to make such a device that has the enough power to play PSP games in the same quality and speed with acceptable battery life then Sony will have any excuse to refuse the licensing...

about the UMD thing, and Sony may have several options
1- allow the PSP and PSPphone to communicate wirelessley ( WiFi ) to install user owned games into PSPphone... and for none PSP owners, they will have to buy UMD accessory that can be connected to PSPphone...
2- make some way to transfeer games throught Memory Sticks this is hard for Sony as this will increase piracy as we know the UMD piracy market is close to none duo to the fact there's no UMD copying method for the public... even thought games on MSticks are availble illegally with some PSP hack ( illegal also ) to make these games run...
3- have a special NAND memory in the PSPphone that's not accessable by the user, this NAND will hold the games, the UMD is able to hold 1.8GB of data, so 8 - 16GB NAND memory will be able to hold 5 - 12 games as not all UMD games use the full 1.8GB capacity... it can be used for online game purchase or PSP games syncronization or what ever, being unaccessable bu users this will make piracy for the games harder ( but not impossible, even UMD with no reader has been accessed using the PSP it self and copied to MSticks !! )
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2009-01-18 12:28

On 2009-01-16 16:31:14, adsada wrote:
Agreed, SE would not do a PSP phone justice. Just look at the poor attempt with the F305

Just look at this piece of junk...
...who said this was meant to be highend?

[ This Message was edited by: gola on 2009-01-18 12:04 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi