Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > Sony to split from Ericsson for PSP phone

123  Next
Author Sony to split from Ericsson for PSP phone
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-25 12:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The PlayStation-branded-mobile-phone-in-production rumour is an oldie and a goodie in the tech world, having been floating round cyberspace for what seems like years, but new, juicy info has apparently come to light on the topic.

Yet again, it's said that a PSP phone is being readied for launch, but what's interesting this time round is that Sony is said to be considering going it alone for the new device - ditching the Ericsson partnership for the phone.

Marketing Week reports that sources in Japan and Korea say Sony is working on "converting" the current PSP model into a phone, and that it could hit the shelves in time for Christmas 2009.

The current PSP can be used as a VoIP phone via its Wi-Fi connectivity but does not currently contain the technology to use cellular networks. This report makes it sound like the new device would be a PSP with full mobile connectivity, rather than a branded handset, like the just-launched F305.

Another industry source is quoted as saying the relationship between Sony and Sony Ericsson has become "frosty," that Sony has learned from its "strategic error" of giving its Walkman name to Sony Ericsson and that Sony would "never" give its PlayStation branding to the Sony Ericsson joint venture.

Source
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-25 12:47
Therefore we have F-Series.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-06-25 12:56

On 2008-06-25 12:46:54, jcwhite_uk wrote:

Another industry source is quoted as saying the relationship between Sony and Sony Ericsson has become "frosty," that Sony has learned from its "strategic error" of giving its Walkman name to Sony Ericsson and that Sony would "never" give its PlayStation branding to the Sony Ericsson joint venture.

Source

That sounds crazy! These two are partners, Sony does get revenue from SE and I think it was a nice marketing strategy for the Walkman brand to have been filtered down to SE.

It would be nice though for Ericsson to go it alone, I'd love that!
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-25 13:00
Would be a shame to see, but - after all, this is just rife speculation right now...
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-06-25 13:06
Still only rumours however I think Playstation is very valuable to Sony, any PS branded device would have to be right up there with the PSP.

I can't see Sony letting this sub-brand go to tell you the truth.

Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-25 13:12
@GoldenFace

I agree - you're right the PlayStation brand is extremely important - moreso than 'Cyber-shot' or 'Walkman' - maybe that's why the 'BRAVIA' handsets have not been released worldwide?

As in, maybe thats why we have not seen branding on any handsets outside of Japan...?

Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-06-25 14:11
@Sony α

Branding phones which are in reality no different from many other phones in the SE range has to be done right.

Walkman - for instance has been very successful but where is the DSP?

The SE PSP phone would have to be something more than a PSP branded F305 IMO.
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-05 19:51
what else can sony rely on.

vaio? bravia? walkman? cybershot?handycam? michael jackson? ...not to mention the RIP robo dog...i can't even remember the name

honestly non of them are leaders or major innovator in their respective field.

Playstation seem to be the most valuable as of now even Wii kinda kick it down

I read on a blog on an interview with someone at SE...they did said Sony have a very strict requirement in other to let SE use the brand.....he did claim tht is why Cybershot phone only come later because it only allow to give the name when suppliers manage to provide solutions for a phone to get good picture.

maybe just maybe SE can use the name playstation one day....but just maybe not now....it could be when more powerful graphic acceleration for phone's display is available?
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-05 19:55
plus do remember getting a brand is a marketing hype...if your product cannot match what claim as a gaming phone...you ends up being another Ngage.

I think SE don't have that ammount of money to lost in one branding campaign compare to nokia of course ngage is not totally dead but remember the hype nokia generate.....i guess the name nokia save the project a bit.

so i rather hope SE can find a good chip set tht allow good processing power for mobile gaming before getting a good PSP phone out.
IT2005
T650 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-07-05 20:15
Sony Ericsson issues profit warning for 2Q
Sony Ericsson warned that it will just break even in the second quarter as worsening market conditions cut into sales.
Ericsson cited "moderating demand" for mid-to-high end mobile phones, as well as delays in the quarter in the shipping of new products.

SE said it would break even before taxes.

It was SE second profit warning this year. In March the company reporting a 48-percent drop in first-quarter net profits.

c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-06 03:24
more interested to see new product that bring it back to the good times

what SE need now is a new product that emulate the success of T610...but not a look alike of T610.

The current condition is like repeating what happened in 2003 and 2004.

1st ad 2nd quarter they don't do well then 3rd quarter and 4th, they have a come back wth T610 (2003) and K700 (2004)
Sirhackalot
Z800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-03 18:56
Gotta agree with sony, are F*ck-ups. Its been countless years and they still cant get it right with there software. Giving ps brand to se will mean return of devices on launch, poorly written updates, and, unsatisfied customers. half the cybershot and walkman phones out don't deserve the branding.
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2008-08-03 19:54
Good going by Sony, SE just isn't ready yet. IMO.
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
prototype_bo
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-03 21:17
the PS brand is so valuable and precious for Sony. it took them years and years nourishing this product, so they can't just accept a mediocre tryout that might ruin the brand.
furthermore, i THINK, Sony is preparing a suprise. mmm. .. in their effort to counter any attack by nintendo (DS successor), they may integrate a cellphone functionality in their next PSP generation.
the logical progress:
PSP>PSP with GPS add on> PSP with Skype functionality> ???
PSP with cellphone anyone ??
aasimtom
X1 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-03 21:41
May be? They need to look into it seriously but Wii is up on their a$$ in japan who outsold PS3 3 to 1. They have got to do something.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20[....]t=AkGDNSr.AfSbkjRJ7VHro8gjtBAF
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123  Next
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic