Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson To Switch Smartphone Production From HTC

Author Sony Ericsson To Switch Smartphone Production From HTC
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-12-23 11:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson To Switch Smartphone Production From HTC To Mobbinova

Sony Ericsson plans to outsource its second Windows Mobile-based smartphone to Taiwan-based Mobinnova, a handset maker under Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), instead of cooperating with its current production partner High Tech Computer (HTC), according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report.

Although Sony Ericsson is believed to continue expanding its lineup of Windows Mobile-based smartphones, the company's partnership with HTC will come to an end when the current production of Xperia X1 handsets completes its business circle, the paper quoted industry sources as indicating.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-23 11:32
A wise move. Going with such a well known WM name like HTC has done SE's credibility as a smartphone manufacturer no favours, since everyone inevitably regards the X1 as a rebadged HTC unit (along with so many other rebadged HTC's, such as the XDA line etc). It doesn't matter whether or not SE designed it, the perception is they just put their name on a direct competitors product, making them seem weak and the X1 merge into the rest of HTC's product line.

On top of that, HTC's quality control has nosedived in the last year, and the X1's build quality is woeful. It's really been a bit disastrous for SE.

[ This Message was edited by: boinng on 2008-12-23 10:54 ]
Zuckabaecka
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-12-23 13:17
Never heard about problems with the build quality !?

We will see if this is a wise move.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-23 13:36
See Google - http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=xperia+cracks

There's also a thread about it here - http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=177627
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-23 14:14
Hi,

I have used a HTC Touch HD since it's UK release and have no issues with paint, speed, anything !

I use it along my BlackBerry Bold and together they are excellent !

Ofiaich :-0
esato since Nov, 12, 2001
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-23 14:32
Well since you brought it up, here's the XDA thread on paint problems with the Touch HD (complete with many pictures) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=3074377

I'm sure these problems don't affect all the handsets, but they're certainly far too common, and widespread enough to increasingly be getting HTC (and by association SE) a bad name for themselves.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-12-23 14:32
There are probably other reasons for the outsourcing switch - Foxconn has made phones for SE before but Mobinnova also made the Ultimate 8502 and Ultimate 9502 for i-mate which are also WM.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2008-12-23 13:33 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi