Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson joins Open Handset Alliance

Author Sony Ericsson joins Open Handset Alliance
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-11 12:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
...and you're all forgetting Samsung... ...the #2 manufacturer has 3 proprietry 'dumbphone' platforms of it's own(with differing OSs), as well as S60, AND WM smartphones(+?? )! Not exactly what I'd call 'treading water', they seem very content to work in this way(i8510/Omnia hold their own in respective markets atm, without thinking of Pixon/Soul, etc )...and if they can do it, why not anyone else(well, except for lack of overall ability, obviously)??

p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-11 12:31
Noob definition of an OS-Something which acts as an interface between the user and the device.

The Axxx series by SE are by means lagging as an OS. It just doesnt have enough softwares in its portfolio,other than that it manages everything that a so called OS does.
gforce23
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-11 12:53

On 2008-12-11 12:31:44, se_dude wrote:
Noob definition of an OS-Something which acts as an interface between the user and the device.

The Axxx series by SE are by means lagging as an OS. It just doesnt have enough softwares in its portfolio,other than that it manages everything that a so called OS does.

Sorry but your noob-ish definition isn't quite right. An interface is a medium of interaction between two things (the user and the phone, for example). The interface in this case is a keyboard or optical D-pad or perhaps the screen itself.
An OS is responsible for tying all elements of a system together and coordinate the activities between such elements. This might mean recognizing system inputs, invoking system calls, memory management etc.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Axxx series phones do not have a memory resident app. All inputs, calls etc. go through a non-native medium of virtualization. Its for the same reason why J2ME apps are usually slower than native code (such as C++ code for ARM on S60).
Satio, X1, P1i, HTC Hero, Blokia N900, N97 mini, N95-2, Crackberry Curve 8900 (corporate)
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-12-11 13:15

On 2008-12-10 15:17:41, razec wrote:
thats the exact point i want to speak out. thanks for correcting.

I agree but those developers in the community are NOT those employed by they could ruin a piece of software it if it was written in plain English!

So you have adding their specific rewrites to android then the network operators add their branding and hey presto a nice big pile of doggy do!

My money is on Linux becoming the next big thing in phone OS

[ This Message was edited by: Nitro Fan on 2008-12-11 12:24 ]
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-11 14:03
instead of creating nonsenses like Capuchin they should use much more powerful platform for software developers. 3rd party software is this what will make from phone a great choice for end-user. hundreds of rich in features applications and games in phone? isn't this exciting? phones are not just phones any more, they are sort of minicomputers and better 3rd party software is bright future for them

I like Java but J2ME platform even with additional JSR extensions is not that much atractive as it was years earlier. it's a bottleneck between developer and hardware. Symbian, WM, Android, even iPhone are much more consistent platforms for developers. success is largely a matter of developers attention focused on dedicated platform. even the best hardware is nothing without good software

what Apple did some months after iPhone release to market? they introduced SDK for developers and look what happened. before it was just interesting and stylish gadget but now a lot of great applications and games appeared, that's why iPhone future is very bright and clear. path of Android Alliance is exactly the same... ok ok, SDK was released before the phone

what about standard solutions? nothing they will be still alive because there are many people which don't need/know "bigger OS" based features. in this solutions we (developers) can play with things like Capuchin or next JSR implemented in J2ME platform, new features in next edition of S40 etc. but this is a bit different programming league. however standard phone is not worse, it's just different

SE phone based on Android - I am greeting with open arms
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-11 14:16
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Axxx series phones do not have a memory resident app. All inputs, calls etc. go through a non-native medium of virtualization. Its for the same reason why J2ME apps are usually slower than native code (such as C++ code for ARM on S60)

bundled apps (Media player, Organizer, Video/Photo DJ, Calulator and many more) do not belong to J2ME platform. they are normal C/C++ applications compiled to ARM exacutable code (ELF), totally independent from Java platform. J2ME is this what 3rd party developers can use and what SE gave to us (developers) as official "thing", we are not invited to create ELFs in official way

EDIT:
for example iPhone programming language is C, C++ while for Android is Java. iPhone cannot execute J2ME applications only because Apple don't want it

[ This Message was edited by: Raiderski on 2008-12-11 13:23 ]
korbindallis
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-12 19:40
i think sony ericsson's Capuchin is great way way better then S40
and ya i cant wait to get my hands on a android phone next year
[addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi