Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Official Blackberry Storm thread

Author Official Blackberry Storm thread
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-11-23 22:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Saw the Storm yesterday in the vodafone store. One thing I am not happy about is how wide it is!!!! Wider than the iphone. However must admit the video quality of the movie that was installed on the version i saw was really good.
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2008-11-23 22:24
After using and selling these for the past week i think i finally have my views set in stone about it.

Its definitely not a business phone due to the fact it is very hard to input text with. The "clickable" touch screen just doesn't allow for quick typing.

Also the application transitions time can be slow and the UI has some niggly flaws with random keypads popping up when you view the inbox.

The web experience is not the best either, it is slow to load, the pages do look sharp and vivid with loaded but scrolling around and zooming in and out can be difficult.

The media side of the phone is great with videos looking brilliant on screen and the speaker is very loud.

I think the storms major issue is that it is not very slick, nothing flows seamlessly. Its all bit jerky.

Yes its got most (wifi, tut tut) of the specs you could want, but the UI lets it down badly.

6/10 must do better.
OBEY GAINT
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-23 23:18

On 2008-11-23 22:08:47, Mr Miyagi wrote:
Saw the Storm yesterday in the vodafone store. One thing I am not happy about is how wide it is!!!! Wider than the iphone. However must admit the video quality of the movie that was installed on the version i saw was really good.

Storm = 112.5 x 62.2 x 14 mm

iPhone 3G = 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3 mm

M600i = 105 x 54 x 15 mm

I can see what you mean, that extra .1mm must really make a difference.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 00:50
0.1mm? that's huge Nanu...... could park a bus in that amount of space....
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-26 18:11
Here is a nice comparison pic showing just how much bigger the Storm iPhone is.

ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 01:38
Hi!

Maybe I should post this as a new thread.... but I will post here for now.

Got a Storm, all charged up.. and now ready to get it set up sweetly and running.

I know from the Esato BlackBerry Club that BB's sing sweetly, so they say.... AND I know about RTFM and search

And Nanu tells me to persevere !!

but if you got a Storm, what would you do to set it up so it becomes a superb advert for BB's?

Happy to get synch, address books, calendar, music, media and photo's at first, .. then I want to sort out email,

I was told that I can synch my iTunes music to, but maybe that is only by using playlists. I want to sunch my iTunes. Later I want to play my saved videos on the Storm too!

and later want to sort out Japanese and Chinese languages...

I have no idea about Applications, GPS, Maps etc for the Storm and want to learn about that too...

I know WM well and except for smooth language support WM serves me well. An iPhone will give me great Asian language support but iPhones have their problems.

Looking forward to helpful advice ! And now I will install the Desktop software to my PC !

Ofiaich

[ This Message was edited by: ofiaich on 2008-11-30 00:53 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 02:36
Hi Ofiach

Install the BlackBerry Desktop Software and that will aid syncing your information with Outlook and is IMO the easiest and quickest way.

I have never managed to get the Media sync to work with my iTunes so i just drag and drop the Albums onto my Memory card and find that is the easiest and quickest way of getting my Music on the device. For Videos i always re encode for the correct ratio for each device and then again just drag and drop the files onto a memory card. Pretty simple really but you can if you wish to do all of that via the Desktop manger software and i think it will even convert your Music and Videos for you to a BB friendly format. Not sure how good it is as i have never used it for that. My Music is all encoded @256kbps AAC and sounds fantastic on my Bold either through the speakers or using my Shure EC2g in ear phones. My Videos are encoded for the correct ratio of 480x320 in MPEG4 and the settings that Movavi creates and also look stunning on the Bolds screen. I see no reason why the Storm with the correct settings should be any different.

As for setting up E-Mail you have a coupe of choices but the way i did it was just going into the Set Up Folder and using the E-Mail set up wizard on the device. All it asks and need is your E-Mail address and password and that's it your E-Mail is set up an pushed straight to your device. I believe you can also set up via a web site but again haven't done it that way so can't comment.

Oh and congratulations on your new device and i hope you enjoy it and it serves you well.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-30 01:37 ]
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 10:02
Thanks Marc,

Install the BlackBerry Desktop Software and that will aid syncing your information with Outlook and is IMO the easiest and quickest way.

Done this and can now see calendar events and address in the address book. My Chinese and Japanese contacts show because I used the alphabet in the Christian Name field and Chinese or Japanese in the family name field.

I have never managed to get the Media sync to work with my iTunes

That seemed to have worked for me, but then the Storm tells me the card has errors. So please check it using your pc's checking tools.

Did that and it still has errors, so formatted it using the Storm and now dragging files across from the duplicate Storm folder that I created on my PC's hard disc.

Just put the card back in the Storm and it still shows errors.

so i just drag and drop the Albums onto my Memory card and find that is the easiest and quickest way of getting my Music on the device. For Videos i always re encode for the correct ratio for each device and then again just drag and drop the files onto a memory card. Pretty simple really but you can if you wish to do all of that via the Desktop manger software and i think it will even convert your Music and Videos for you to a BB friendly format. Not sure how good it is as i have never used it for that. My Music is all encoded @256kbps AAC and sounds fantastic on my Bold either through the speakers or using my Shure EC2g in ear phones. My Videos are encoded for the correct ratio of 480x320 in MPEG4 and the settings that Movavi creates and also look stunning on the Bolds screen. I see no reason why the Storm with the correct settings should be any different.

I have copied some MPEG4's to the card but until I can get the card to work, I cannot test these. I will re-encode later to the correct ratio.

As for setting up E-Mail you have a coupe of choices but the way i did it was just going into the Set Up Folder and using the E-Mail set up wizard on the device. All it asks and need is your E-Mail address and password and that's it your E-Mail is set up an pushed straight to your device. I believe you can also set up via a web site but again haven't done it that way so can't comment.

I will do this later after I sorted out the memory card issue.

Oh and congratulations on your new device and i hope you enjoy it and it serves you well.

Thanks, slowly getting to grips with it... I had my Exchange Server email and Japanese running on my Touch HD within an hour.

Yes, I know I need to be patient and explore and learn...

Final issue for now, PC seems to have slowed down and mouse movement are not smooth since installing the BB Desktop software.

Ofiaich

[ This Message was edited by: ofiaich on 2008-11-30 12:37 ]
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 12:03
Bump this to the top!

Sorting out the memory card is a pig,,,, Sorry to anyone who likes pigs

Formatted it using the Storm and the found errors but the card works fine in other devices. Tried this 4 times and now the card seems to be recognised.

Now trying BlackBerry Music Sync. but no luck... doesn't appear in Storm's menus.

update - OK, have music working and the sound is good ! I cannot get on with the BlackBerry headphones because they fall out of my ears ! So I will try the DS-970 that I have

I have one video working but there is a sound delay so it is not in sync with the action. I will re-encode some videos later.

Lack of WiFi is a pain....

I am now wondering about 3rd party apps and how to download.

Also wondering if using a Vodafone pay and go sim will mean I cannot access all services.

Also need to try out the GPS later today...

Advice always welcomed !

Ofiaich

[ This Message was edited by: ofiaich on 2008-11-30 13:23 ]
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 14:35
Stephen Frys verdict on the Storm!

"Been playing with the BB Storm. Shockingly bad. I mean embarrassingly awful. Such a disappointment. Rushed out unfinished. What a pity.

Yes, I blame networks more than RIM. Problems are terrible lag: inaccurate touchscreen, awful, slow and fiddly text input. I SO wanted to like it.

Plus the GPS maps won't work - issue with BIS connections. I see from forums postings this is widespread in the UK. iPhone killer? Ha!"

play with the Storm for two days as I have and you will admire my patience at not throwing it out of the window... I do like the Bold though.

From Gizmodo
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 15:25
@ofiaich

I would imagine using the Sim card that comes with the Storm would make the most sense as it will be set up for your data that's included in the high monthly cost. Using a PAYG Sim card i would doubt would be set up for the Blackberry Internet Service and definitely not the free data.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-30 14:26 ]
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 15:26
Interestin!

I am getting a bit frustrated with it!

I can't find how to setup gmail and vodafone mail. It is only giving me a bb server kind of option, needs a password from the administrator..

Might reset and start again,,

@Marc, thanks for that.... I will give it a try...

Ofiaich

[ This Message was edited by: ofiaich on 2008-11-30 14:27 ]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 15:35
^ login to the vodafone bis website https://bis.eu.blackberry.com/html?brand=vodauk there

and add new account and away you go..

I've got my gmail set up on my orange bis no worries.
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 15:58
thanks fatreg!

I will persevere some more...

I do think Stephen Fry has made some valid points....

Ofiaich
esato since Nov, 12, 2001
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-30 16:33
Hi again,

got the email working... gmail and vodafone.net

just run you tube on the Storm and the refresh was soooooooo slow that the video looked like an impressionist oil painting !!!

Ofiaich
esato since Nov, 12, 2001
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi