Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P800 Bugs and Suggested Improvements for Sony Ericsson Engineers

Author P800 Bugs and Suggested Improvements for Sony Ericsson Engineers
Cunning Man
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 08:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Firstly, I realize there have been several posts already about individual bugs people have found in the P800. However, that is precisely the problem, someone over at SE would have a devil of a time collecting all of them, especially because many of these faults are mentioned in threads with titles not mentioning bugs.

I have had my P800 now for about a week, and on the whole think it's a great device, except for several bugs/oversights that I believe (and hope) "fixable" by software/firmware patches.

The whole point of this thread then, is to collect as many of these problems that us first owners of the P800 (read final beta testers) have found, so that hopefully some hard-working engineer over at Sony Ericsson will know what to start working on...

So, please post any known problems / suggested improvements to the P800 here. Thanks in advance.

C
Cunning Man
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 08:41
1. Microsoft Outlook Synchronization

As mentioned in several other threads (e.g http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=16871&forum=2#post217999 ), various problems:

- No synchronization at all (hangs at the Synchronization in progress window)
- Part synchronization
- Slow synchronization

Though, several have also had successful synchronizations.
tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 08:45

T9.
There are so many people out there who believe T9 ought to be standard feature. An expensive phone like the P800 should have it. Hand writing and keyboard are great, but there is that little thing missing..

[ This Message was edited by: tranquil on 2003-01-07 07:46 ]
Cunning Man
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 08:48
I agree about T9. Many posts about that topic too.

e.g.: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=13932&forum=2#post176924

C
Cunning Man
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 08:53
3. Too little storage on main (phone) memory for PDA functions.

Maybe someone has found a way around this, but for now, I find that even after shifting just about everything onto the Memory Stick Duo, I am left with only about 7 to 8 Mb in the phone memory. This will be a problem for those of us that plan to use the phone as a main PDA (a la a Palm, Handspring Treo or Pocket PC). I currently have over 3000 records in my Contacts folder in Outlook, and a similar number of Notes - which would probably be a problem when I actually manage to sync the darn thing.

Perhaps SE could patch the P800 so that we can choose the Memory Stick as the default storage for the Contacts application?

C
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-07 08:59
I am sorry i am spoiling the thread with 'appreciation' 4this thread:p although i dont own a p800,i think u do a gr8 job here,keep it on!

This post was posted from a Nokia

R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 09:20
camera- viewfinder, is blocked by the word S0NY-ERICSSON therefore we cant see the subject although we can still take picture.

This post was posted from a P800

tranquil
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 09:32
One thing I find funny about the P800, well not the P800 itself,but.., is the holster that comes in hte box. There is no belt clip on it! That holster is just not gonna be used! Not bu me anyway. Imagine the phone rings, dig into your pocket, pull the thing out of the holster, and voala! The call has gone to voice mail...
It's just to fiddely to use it.
Get a belt clip on the purce in the box!

Oh, on that call... I love my P800!
The ultimate ringtone wav mp3
mr_cal
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 09:41
how much is the p800? can buy through loan?
Dun't Play Play..
woaow
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 10:08
My P800 release is Inc9PA18 : Phone R1B, Bluetooth R2C, Organiser R1C02, CDA : R1B02.

BUGS :
- No Way to sync 2 mobile phone numbers for one contact between Outlook 2000 and the phone. VERY annoying when you have so many contacts with a personal and a work mobile phone (or one for her, one for him)

- On the apps screen, if you click on the "down" arrow to go to the second page, then roll the jog dial, you come back to the first page. You shouldn't.

- Alarm ringing when phone is off. Otherwise, you have to keep your phone on during the night, and then you can be waken up by every SMS or mail coming in...

- Automatic disconnection from the internet account and automatic connection to the MMS profile when it's not the same profile. Otherwise, you have to do it manuyally, or to always disconnect from the web account if you want to receive an MMS.

- Match Outlook and P800 categories for the contact fields.

- Calendar sync is not seamless (some events are lost)

============
IMPROVEMENTS :
- Locking the screen with a sign, and not a number : I just have to touch the screen from the bottom left till the up right to unlock the screen, which can easily be done with one hand (even with a glove). Much easier than a number to write.

- Porting all the 7650 and 9210 apps for the P800 (for developers)

- Video recording feature

- SMS received receipt

- Propose a SonyEricsson SyncML server to use the syncML function. It's not that easy to find a good SyncML system.

- Next HW release : include an FM receiver

- Match the picture attached to a contact in the P800 with the file attached to a contact in Outlook

- Video : A full screen feature is missing

- Belt clip is missing indeed. I wish I could get a clip similar to the one used for the T68, light and small. This clip could also protect the camera lens. The one included is totally useless.

- disable this "Packet Video" screen when launching a video.

I think that's all for the moment. I'd put the emphasis on the "2 mobile phones", "automatic swap" between intenet accounts and Calendar seamless items.

Cheers.
(Post edited to reorganise items in BUGS, and IMPROVEMENTS)

[ This Message was edited by: woaow on 2003-01-07 09:17 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-07 10:19
BUGS I'VE FOUND:
-famous "SonyEricsson" logo in camera viewfinder
-that funny blinking warning triangle telling you to hold the power button for 10 seconds
-SMS nametag only recognizes the last 7 digits of the contact's phone number. So John +1234567890 is the same as Mike +526984567890. And messages from John show up as "Mike" and vice versa.
-GPRS signal is unstable
-phone has trouble regaining signal once it's lost it.
-some MIDI's aren't played completely..last 2 seconds are cut off.

FEATURES I WISH THE P800 HAD, OR WILL HAVE:
-not T9, I want Sony's new Auto-complete function!
-Word/Excel EDITORS
-WMA support
-customizable themes... the original colors of UIQ look a lot better! I wish we could customize the desktop (Flip open/removed) more.
-Better File Manager (I downloaded the other File Manager, but I can't seem to delete anything with it.)
-GAIN control for the Communicam for night shots... gain boosting brings out better pictures than a brightness control.
-memory selector (default phone or memstick)
-VIDEO RECORDER!!! DAMMIT!!! HELLO?!?!? Sony...Handycams... DUH! A neat mpeg4/aac video recorder would be nice... something that records DEFAULT on the memstick. Also, a free MPEG-1 to MPEG4/AAC converter so we can make our own MMS videos! Something made by SE would be nice so that it'll be guaranteed to work with the P800.
-Browser connection selector... options to use IR, BT, GPRS, or CSD to surf the Net. I prefer the built-in browser over the 3rd party one that CAN surf using Bluetooth.
-a mic w/ a STANDARD 3.5mm stereo headphone jack on it so we can use any headset with the phone and still retain the handsfree functionality.
-remappable browser button. I never use this since you need to use the stylus anyway!
-remappable virtual keypad... I kinda miss the old Ericsson layout with the 4 way arrows and Yes/No keys... this new OK, Back, C, Options layout is just weird. This was on Sony's phones... was weird then, it's still weird now.
-Optional keypads... a choice between Sony layout or Ericsson layout.
-Optional colors/cases. I'M SICK OF BABY BLUE!!!!
-I wish the speakerphone was on the FRONT of the phone and not the back... weird that they chose to place it on the back.
-Camera lens cover.
-BELT holster.
-MORE MEMSTICK DUOS PLEASE!!! When are the 128 and up Duos coming out SE?!?!?!?

THINGS I'D LIKE TO THANKS SONYERICSSON FOR INCLUDING:
-Opera browser!!!! THANK YOU SYMBIAN AND SE!
-USB cradle w/ the cute light-up logo!
-3 extra styli
-Memstick Duo Adapter!!! I was shocked Sony actually included one!
-16MB Duo... it's not much, but thanks anyway.
-Funny wrist strap & clip-less pouch... nice try!... Try again! Just the same, thanks for the effort!
-PDF reader!!!
-Jot!!!! I love this software above all PPC and Palm counterparts!!!!
-a 200mHz CPU!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
-16MB on board RAM... even if 4MB of it is for the OS, it's still good.
-EXCELLENT Bluetooth & IR functions!
-PERFECT Voice recognition!
-Free stereo headset...could've been better if the jack was standard. Love the little SE logos on the earpieces though!
-Reasonable price.

If anyone from SE is reading this...please try to forward this to your SW Developers to see what they can do. Oh, and I wish SE used Sony's newer 18-bit touchscreens instead... Neonode's N1 is using them, why couldn't SE?

Thanks for reading!
lexus
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-07 10:23
- What about ability to use it in a landscape mode, specislly for web browsing? I think that would be great!
- Also, log file like on N9210 is very usefull.
- Custom folders in Inbox
- one-buton voice recording, during calls or as a voice recorder...
mondo
K700
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 10:30
and please, that nice SYSTEM ERROR MESSAGE! at first, i didnt mind but it starting to become irritating!
woaow
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 10:33
@jplacson :

Why do you say that Opera Browser is included ?? The browser is made by AU Systems, and it's pretty slow, in comparison to the speed of Opera on a PC...
woaow
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-01-07 10:37
@ ESATO Admins.

Can you set a Special "Bugs and Improvement page" for the P800 where everyone can vote for the 5 most important (with priority).

This would show a synthesis of the requests from all users, with nice histograms, so that it is easy to understand quickly which feature is mostly asked for and which bug is the most annoying...

Thoses guys have a lot to do !!

Cheers
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic