Add to Bookmarks
Author Xperia Webcast
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 14:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-09-15 14:43:39, X1fans wrote:
Do you mind if I say.... I found this webcast sort of boring..

everything they said we sort of already known,
and then anything unknown they said "we dont like to comment".....

I didn't find it boring so much, but I can agree that they didn't really give us any new information. Some of what he showed us of the panels working was new, but hardly anything you wouldn't have expected.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 14:49
What did we learn from the web cast NOTHING a waste of 30 mins
That bloody annoying woman Lee's voice just irritated the life out of me, what on earth she was there for is beyond me, her sole contribution seemed to be no comment!
No Comment on Windows 7
no comment on future products
No Comment on competitors products
No Comment on P series future
In Fact no comment full stop.

As for Johnny X, no wonder this device will be priced as "premium" as La La Lee put it. The whole shambles must have cost a fortune, and to what purpose? search me!

Jerks

[ This Message was edited by: Nitro Fan on 2008-09-15 13:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Nitro Fan on 2008-09-15 13:53 ]
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 14:52

On 2008-09-15 14:49:01, Nitro Fan wrote:
That bloody annoying woman Lee's voice just irritated the life out of me

Don't ever come to New Zealand then!

But yeah, you're quite right about everything you said. Nothing really gained from this webcast besides another X1 demo which went very slightly more in-depth with the panels.

EDIT: I say in-depth, but I just mean we saw a little more than other X1 demos. It wasn't truly in-depth!

[ This Message was edited by: Muhammad-Oli on 2008-09-15 13:54 ]
Tigershark42
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 14:53
That was terrible. They basically said what has been on their website since February. Anything anyone really wanted to know was just shunned with an 'I don't want to comment'. Very typical SE. That was not in depth at all. He just went through the panels. AGAIN. There was already a video with a representative talking about that (link is in the Xperia X1 discussion thread).

Will it be upgradeable to WM7:
'don't want to answer'. Ie no, it wont. You might be able to get a hacked version, but they will probably want to make another Xperia device for when that happens.

What about the rest of the Xperia series:
'don't want to answer' Ie we only let you find that out once you've handed over the cash for the X1. Far better than hearing 'more great stuff awaits ', surely :S

What will happen to the P-Series then:
'don't want to answer'. Thanks for the reassurance :S

I expected far more in-depth and intelligent conversation to come out of there. I mean come on 'widgets, now thats getting really really really technical'. I thought he was joking lol! Im not at all convinced either. I thought I would see all the menus, all the operations, the point of which of course would be to answer the question the CONSUMER wants answered before they shell out so much for this thing (what is it, £500 at the moment on Play.com...). That question of course is, why should I buy the Xperia X1 instead of the touch pro, or diamond, or better yet the recently leaked and almighty looking touch HD? Why would you choose it over the G900, for example, when the G900 seems to produce higher calibre stills and has the same sort of multimedia functionality, but costs HALF the price!? Panels- oh thats their answer to everything! Throw some panels at it and it'll be fine!
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 14:55

On 2008-09-15 14:52:29, Muhammad-Oli wrote:

On 2008-09-15 14:49:01, Nitro Fan wrote:
That bloody annoying woman Lee's voice just irritated the life out of me

Don't ever come to New Zealand then!

But yeah, you're quite right about everything you said. Nothing really gained from this webcast besides another X1 demo which went very slightly more in-depth with the panels.

Hi Muhammad-Oli

Nothing wrong with New Zealand great place great people one of my mates in the UK is a Maori a really interesting guy and culture.
But "La La Lee" man she has got to go!
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 14:56
first the unprecedented announcement that it hasn't been delayed, and actually giving an shipping date... and now this

To me it was just a marketing excercise to keep the momentum of interest going following months of speculation about delays/performance/features etc
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 14:56

On 2008-09-15 14:13:06, tregba wrote:
The mind boggles...are they actually receiving 'real' questions about Jonny X?!

No the questions are as fake and set up as Johnny himself!
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 14:59
@Tigershark: Add to that the fact that they seemed to think the X1 was worth buying just for its expensive materials. He kept likening it to a fine suit. I mean, they can't expect people to pay a large amount for a phone just because it is metal. If you ask customers to choose between a cheaper phone made of plastic, and an expensive phone with the same features which has some metal bits, the customers will take the cheaper option almost all the time. Consumers aren't that thick.
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 15:05

On 2008-09-15 14:56:06, masseur wrote:
first the unprecedented announcement that it hasn't been delayed, and actually giving an shipping date... and now this

To me it was just a marketing excercise to keep the momentum of interest going following months of speculation about delays/performance/features etc

Hi Masseur,
If that was the purpose it failed IMHO, what it did achieve was to reinforce my belief that is to use a great British expression "All fur coat and no knickers" these days! In other words lots of show but nothing underneath.

I sent about 20 emails nothing doing! the ones that were read out were so obviously conceived in house it was a joke.

I just hope this thing is built properly, I hear the battery cover is a problem yet again can you shed any light? and yet all they banged on about were the quality of materials used all very well but if you don't know how to put them together you still end up with a pile of Poo!

Tigershark42
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 15:07
@Muhammad-Oli: Very true. Sigh, we will just have to continue to read between the lines, I suppose. No direct answers from SE, just more doubt. I fail to understand- how can you decline talking about the future here, when this thing is such an investment? It sets you back alot of money, but the point is it has way more functionality and will last a few years, and after that time it wont be completely outdated. I want to know that if I buy it, it will remain top of the range for a long time, that it will be maintained as such at least on the software side. Instead, they tell me it is premium (now), and they tell me there is basically a possibility it could be replaced (tomorrow?). Get real.

Oh and one more thing: If I had spent that long with a WinMo PDA (what was it, 6 months or so he said?) and all I could say about it at the end was that its made of nice metal and it has panel desktops to it- I think I would deserve to be shot! So many ardent fans waiting for something like this, and the ones we are meant to buy it from make us feel so stupid...

[ This Message was edited by: Tigershark42 on 2008-09-15 14:11 ]
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 15:14

On 2008-09-15 15:07:43, Tigershark42 wrote:
@Muhammad-Oli: Very true. Sigh, we will just have to continue to read between the lines, I suppose. No direct answers from SE, just more doubt. I fail to understand- how can you decline talking about the future here, when this thing is such an investment? It sets you back alot of money, but the point is it has way more functionality and will last a few years, and after that time it wont be completely outdated. I want to know that if I buy it, it will remain top of the range for a long time, that it will be maintained as such at least on the software side. Instead, they tell me it is premium (now), and they tell me there is basically a possibility it could be replaced (tomorrow?). Get real.

Oh and one more thing: If I had spent that long with a WinMo PDA (what was it, 6 months or so he said?) and all I could say about it at the end was that its made of nice metal and it has panel desktops to it- I think I would deserve to be shot! So many ardent fans waiting for something like this, and the ones we are meant to buy it from make us feel so stupid...

[ This Message was edited by: Tigershark42 on 2008-09-15 14:11 ]

Lets face it want to sell us a new unit every 18 months, this ism ade somewhat more affordable for most of us by the networks subsidizing each unit they add to a contract. But for those who want a virgin product the only solution will be to keep spending !
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 15:28
Apparently an on-demand version of the webcast will be available soon, presumably from the same website as the one the webcast was broadcast on. You'll find the link in the first post of this thread if you really wanna waste your time. Bored perhaps.
deepsme
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 16:19
Never had any expectations from this webcast...I couldn't understand why there was so much hoopla about this event...

Rather than leaking Xperia panel vids to mobile sites..SE decided to project the Xperia on a slightly larger scale..adding to that marketing gimmicks like JohnnyX..

Just a PR exercise as Masseur rightly said.
here, have a puff
Ehyiah
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 17:41
am I wrong or did he said that the X1 got 380MB of ram ? i thought it was 256
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 17:44

On 2008-09-15 16:19:32, deepsme wrote:
Never had any expectations from this webcast...I couldn't understand why there was so much hoopla about this event...

Rather than leaking Xperia panel vids to mobile sites..SE decided to project the Xperia on a slightly larger scale..adding to that marketing gimmicks like JohnnyX..

Just a PR exercise as Masseur rightly said.

"

Never had any expectations from this webcast...I couldn't understand why there was so much hoopla about this event..."

Ahh hindsight the only exact science in the world
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi