Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > The New 3G iPhone ! Is this the begining of the end for the SE P AND X series?

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 4 ... 192021  Next
Author The New 3G iPhone ! Is this the begining of the end for the SE P AND X series?
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-10 12:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-06-10 12:15:04, s32bauer wrote:
Yes, I have used one (http://www.ciao.co.uk/Apple_iPhone__Review_5743470), and your right it does do more than texting and calling, it was a figure of speech. My point is that it lacks aspects that a lot of people want in a phone - very very basic aspects.

Things such as video calling are only just being introduced by Apple.

video calling isn't be introduced.

What basic apects does it lack that a lot of people want? I mean just general people, not people that go on forums such as this one?

No one i know, video calls, no one uses bluetooth apart from hands free kits, no one send mms's.
Posted from an iPhone
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 13:02
Right, iphone does not have a certain feature, its because that feature sucks, no one use it (retarded apple fanboys said the same thing about 3g last year)

Frankly, all this hype just makes me sick. Its the same like last year, now we have to put up with iphones is killing everything threads again everywhere.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-10 13:08
No, I agree data traffic and AJAX as presented by Apple is the way the "mobile web" will finally take off (..which is nice, because then the rest of us can use it for something useful later on, when the bubble bursts). ..But I'd use video- calls if it was cheaper, simultaneous data and talk if it was available, and I send MMS once in a while (treasure maps, sketches, and so on). So I think mostly that the reason it's not widely used is because it's not marketed very well, and the mobile industry in general is hung up on sms (in the same way they're hung up on "units").

edit: @ares: oh, but all the features will be fixed in a future firmware anyway - you see, Apple loves their customers, and hardly does this to make money at all. And they answer all the requests of users and developers, just to be nice. And will never use hype to sell a product that can stand on it's own on features and usability. That's just beyond Apple.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"

[ This Message was edited by: Nipsen on 2008-06-10 12:13 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 13:28
The Iphone technology hasn't moved on greatly in the last year, but the new pricepoint has - and that will be giving the likes of SE sleepless nights. Up till now, they've known that however popular the Iphone was, it was out of reach for most people - now that's no longer true. The £100 Iphone can compete with feature phones, let alone smartphones.

And the X1? That was in trouble long before yesterday's announcement. The HTC Touch Pro will be out sooner, cheaper, and be in a much better position. SE just seem to be lumbering from one fumble to another at the moment.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 13:34
Boinng, please, the real price is not that one, i though you d know better...

I generaly buy phones unlocked and free of contracts, and in those conditions the iphone would cost just the same of all the competition (between 500 and 600 euros)
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
kradcliffe
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 13:45
Frankly, all this hype just makes me sick. Its the same like last year, now we have to put up with iphones is killing everything threads again everywhere.

That's the difference. If and when SE eventually get round to announcing something it will be so late and out of date no-one is interested
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 13:54
Deleted

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-12-19 12:41 ]
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 14:06

On 2008-06-10 13:54:09, Dogmann wrote:
I really don't get this fundamental hate of any device that isn't SE from some quarters it really can't be healthy never mind realistic.

I couldn't agree with you more Dogmann. Peoples hatred of an electronic device really gets a bit over the top.

People who have so much hatred and malice towards a device need to seek medical help, as you are correct in saying it is unhealthy.
hiddensphinx
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 14:22
with TomTom releasing its native app for iphone 3G..there is simply no hope for any other phone in my books
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 14:28
I think the iPhone 3G will seriously impact SE's P and X series because the SE models fail IMO to attract the mainstream cellphone buyers but the iPhone does that, especially at the new price points. The new App store and Enterprise features + secure corporate email will put this right in the focus of business users too.

I am not at all attracted to the SE UIQ devices and am quite happy with the mid-range and high end models because of thier convergence features and UI which is great. I will not be buying a iPhone for myself as it doesn't have what I want and has things I don't need but I do respect the fact that Apple have further raised the bar in a market most other manufacturers just don't understand.

I will be buying an iPhone 3G for my wife who has an 8.1Mp Digicam and a DVD Video camera, doesn't send MMS or make video calls and will never use A2DP etc but WILL make use of the great browser, MobileMe for sharing family photos with relatives, sequential txt, recieving emails and storing/viewing large photo and video files.

I would never consider buying her a P1i nor would she consider using one even with the 3G, large screen and browser.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 14:55

On 2008-06-10 13:54:09, Dogmann wrote:

MMS just isn't needed as E-Mail allows you to send better quality pictures or whatever then restricted MMS does. MMS is a tool for Networks to make money out of you some of you need to wake up as it's far from being great.

I have to disagree with you here. MMS may not be good in sending photos but it is very good for audio message. In some countries, audio message is becoming very popular. Even in newer Nokia phones, they have added a special option for audio message. It sure beats typing a long message.

Talk about the Pot calling the Kettle black A2DP is flash it's quality compared to a wired solution is CRAP! get over it, so suggesting the iPhone is just flash and then pointing out it is missing something flashy SE has is just so funny.

My stereo BT headset do sound very acceptable to me. And I dont think we should let Apple off so easily for crippling most of BT profiles

One thing I do agree is that it will be tougher for SE (as well as other manufacturers) if the price of Iphone is reduced to 150 euro on contract.
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-10 15:23
why would you send a voice message when you could just call the person? and leave a voice mail if needed? Just wondering.
Posted from an iPhone
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 15:36
Back in 2000, Telecom NZ implemented a 15s voice message function on thier analogue 025 network to compete with Vodafone's txt messaging which had taken off. Voice messaging flopped and Telecom eventually upgraded(!?!) to a digital CDMA network and dropped the voice messaging.

I've noticed that Nokia 6234 and SE V640i both have voice message capability but I don't know anyone who's heard of it let alone uses it...

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-06-10 14:38 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 16:10

On 2008-06-10 13:34:14, ares wrote:
Boinng, please, the real price is not that one, i though you d know better...

I generaly buy phones unlocked and free of contracts, and in those conditions the iphone would cost just the same of all the competition (between 500 and 600 euros)

Ares, you've just said it yourself - the Iphone will now cost just the same as all the competition. They've dropped the artificially inflated price and harsh network lock-ins that kept the original Iphone away from most consumers.

O2 in the UK have announced they'll be giving it away "free" on £45pm contracts, or for £99 on £30pm. More amazingly, they're not claiming exclusivity this time - suggesting that one or more of the other UK networks may be selling it as well, which means competition, which means the price could come down further. It's out there in the open market, fronting up squarely to everything that SE, Nokia etc have to offer, with comparable pricing and deals available. That's the real change that Iphone 2.0 brings.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 16:20
the iPhone is still "Only on O2" in UK

see here

As I recall, they have a 5 year contract to sell iphone's in UK
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 192021  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic