Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > The New 3G iPhone ! Is this the begining of the end for the SE P AND X series?

Previous  123 ... 151617 ... 192021  Next
Author The New 3G iPhone ! Is this the begining of the end for the SE P AND X series?
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 20:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-12-08 19:42:39, Boinng wrote:
I spent a year living out of the Tytn II, I tried cooked ROMs, I tweaked every tweak, I installed every cab, I even did certain things I guess I'm none too proud of... In short, I lived the Windows Mobile life to the full. If my Tytn II was a car, it would tower over most of your X1's on pimped up alloy rims, and beat you away from the lights while your Xperia engines were still running in. And you know what? The iPhone makes it look stupid. Really stupid. And it's doing the same to every other winmo phone out there.

Wait wait..

This isn't about the TyTN II vs. X1 or X1 vs. iphone.

You were arguing about WM vs. iphone in the sense of platforms, which is, if you ask me, another apple vs orange comparison, and such comparisons have never led us anywhere (except a locked thread). How could they ?

So let's forget about WM vs. iphone.

Pls just tell us about the benefits of going for an iphone.

What are the functions & features of the iphone, which deserve an 'above average' or even 'excellent' ?

What is it that justifies all the hype about it?

[ This Message was edited by: myth® on 2008-12-08 19:20 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-08 20:16

On 2008-12-08 20:11:00, carkitter wrote:
I bought my iPhone 3G for NZ$ 699 which pits it firmly against the $715 G705 and well below the $1800 X1. Any iPhone owner downunder will feel they've got a bargin.

While the iPhone continues to lack basics such as modem, A2DP, a usable camera and a My Words function, it will remain for me a temporary diversion from .

I'm not interested in the X1 at NZ$1000+ and the P1i, P990 or G900 at any price. Smartphones just aren't my thing and time spent with the iPhone confirms it. It's great for multimedia though.

Exactly, it's not a smartphone..
BTW, where did you get 1800$ price????
a w a r e
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 20:20
The numbers speak for themselves. and WM are losing marketshare to apple. Isn't this the subject of this thread? Teenage rudeness, flames and silly
arguments should be saved for others threads like " mac vs pc" , " iPhone OS vs WinMo" and etc.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 20:20

On 2008-12-08 19:52:03, gforce23 wrote:
Err.. the Touch HD might make you eat your own words.

No, trust me, it won't (and hasn't). The HD is trying desperately to be an iPhone, but guess what - it's not an iPhone. It doesn't do video or multimedia as well (despite the screen), an it's still plain old sluggish, laggy WM underneath, running on another crappy Qualcomm chip with poor driver support. Oh, and the paint flakes off.
isadouglas
P800
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 20:28
@Boinng:
I am glad you have the time to say everything I want to say. I started with p800 so I am not a newbie, and have the HTC tytn ll , that yes can be really powerfull and blah blah blah but when it gets slow and freezes specially when you are showing off then..is not worth my time. Ill get my Iphone tomorrow, And I did waited until the new version and the 100s app came out. The thing I will miss the must from my HTC is the mini usb charger!
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-08 20:30
Oh, and the paint flakes off.

Your nails?
Seriously, let's finish this maybe.
If somebody claims that iPhone with it's worst camera on market
surpasses 5mpx shooter on HTC HD, what are we talking about, really?
What is the topic?
The only real argument you have is numbers, and even small kid knows
numbers say nothing about quality in this world.
You'll probably learn in some years, maybe now it's time to play games.
Use it! Don't waste your time on forums...

[ This Message was edited by: doministry on 2008-12-08 19:31 ]
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 20:46

On 2008-12-08 20:16:59, doministry wrote:

That's something around USD 980,-
HTC HD2 [16 GB] + SE HBH-DS980
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 21:05
Quote:

On 2008-12-08 20:46:28, myth® wrote:

On 2008-12-08 20:16:59, doministry wrote:

That's something around USD 980,-

I'd post a link but the iPhone doesn't have cut & paste... When I get home, I'll put my SIM card back into my V640i, connect it as a modem to my laptop and post some links to NZ prices.

The iPhone is definately a smartphone, just a different type of smartphone, because Apple have a different perspective.

This phone is very mature and makes the user feel special in a way other phones (toys) just don't. Looking forward to getting a G705 or W705 soon and returning to the features I miss.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 21:10

On 2008-12-08 20:16:47, myth wrote:
So let's forget about WM vs. iphone.

Pls just tell us about the benefits of going for an iphone.

What are the functions & features of the iphone, which deserve an 'above average' or even 'excellent' ?

By no means an exhaustive list, but how about:

• The screen. Obviously the resolution's been bettered, but that's a small part of the story. It's capacative so it's solid optical glass you're looking through - not layers of plastic and membrane and the obligatory crappy screen protector, but glass. It's bright, clear, precise, and full of colour (16m of them in fact).

• The interface. Forget the eye candy for a second (the zooming icons etc), and the way the UI is structured to make everything consistent and easy to use etc, and concentrate in the responsiveness. You tap something and it responds, instantly, every time. Not just quickly, instantly. You flick up and down a list, document, or web page, and it shifts instantly, effortlessly, like flicking a piece of paper along a desk. No other phone gets close to it. My PC doesn't react this quickly.

• The Appstore. I paid £1.19 for the Spreadsheet app I use - one of a choice of three. In the last month or so, the appstore has alerted me to two or three significant updates to that app, all of which I could download for three, and which have now brought it to a level where it supports more of Excel's forumulas than Excel Mobile does. Thanks to the ecomomies of scale in iPhone/iPod touch app development (one outlet, many million customers) I can buy games for 59p of outstanding quality (flick fishing is brilliant) and I don't even like games, or at least I didn't. Meanwhile, the freebies are generally better programmed and supported than most of the paid for stuff on other platforms.

• Browsing - just the best. Slick, fast, every hyperbole. Since the 2.2 update it's rock solid too - no crashes.

• multimedia - perfect video playback, on a great screen, whether it's YouTube, iplayer, your own ripped DVD, whatever. It just works, no dropped frames, no benchmarking paranoia in coreplayer, just sit back and enjoy perfect video. Music? It's an iPod! Games? It's damn good at games, and there's plenty out there - forget Windows mobile, this has the nintendo DS and PSP firmly in it's sights. It's capable of amazing graphics, and developers are using them too.

• Email - I have my work email pushed, my gmail IMAP working flat out, the iPhone does all I need to take care of business without skipping a beat. Getting at your mail is quick and easy, mail gets formatted perfectly (HTML and all), and replying is a breeze. Which brings me to the...

• keyboard - the best design of soft keyboard I've ever seen or used. Context sensitive in every app (including third party apps), visually responsive, intelligent, and with a predictive system which often knows what I'm going to type before I do.

I'll rest it there for now, but don't worry, I could go on...

What is it that justifies all the hype about it?

That it lives up to the hype.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-12-08 20:15 ]
kradcliffe
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 21:18
You guys are brilliant .....

Dogmann better watch out or the debating crown will be slipping from his head

Seriously though, the iphone is a multimedia gimmick. I have just ordered a P1i which has been out for ages. I can easily afford the iphone pay as you go, but I just consider the P1i and UIQ3 a better all round solution at the moment. And it's 18 months old!

I currently have the ipod touch, and the novelty soon wore off. It's not been out of my drawer in months.

The iphone is like a beautiful woman who turns out to be crap in bed!
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-08 21:26
Yes P1i still is awesome.
I agree with Kradcliffe.
With remark - yes, iPhone also has it's strong points and nobody doubts that...
a w a r e
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 21:44
You shouldn´t get P1i. UIQ is going nowhere and the device is old by now. Its hardware was criticized for being outdated when it came out, can u imagine it now? Poor chip, bad graphics, bad RAM, buggy firmwares and a platform that´s being abandoned. Do yourself a favor and stay away from it. They should be paying u to get this phone.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-08 21:45

On 2008-12-08 21:44:39, SloopJohnB wrote:
You shouldn´t get P1i. UIQ is going nowhere and the device is old by now. Its hardware was criticized for being outdated when it came out, can u imagine it now? Poor chip, bad graphics, bad RAM, buggy firmwares and a platform that´s being abandoned. Do yourself a favor and stay away from it. They should be paying u to get this phone.

I use it every day and believe me - or not - but it's great.
a w a r e
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 22:20
It may work ok and there´s always personal preference involved but u have to think ahead. You´ll be putting money on a device that´s outdated and on a platform that´s ending. Not to mention the great chances of ending up with a buggy and slow device. This isn´t just me saying, google it or look here in esato and u´ll find topics about this.
If you want a ´symbian´ device, get a nokia. If u want a touchscreen device u can wait for N97 or get a WM device if that´s your thing. Even android would be better because it´s a growing platform. There´s the iphone too if you feel like trying something new. You gotta think about what you want/need on a device. Honestly, I can´t see anything a P1i can do that a more modern WM or Symbian can´t do in a much better fashion.
isadouglas
P800
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 22:21
Wow! This subject was quiet for the last 6 months and you guys just start arguing all over again...sorry!LOL
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 151617 ... 192021  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic