Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > What happened to Sony's low-end? Phones for simple tasks gone?

Author What happened to Sony's low-end? Phones for simple tasks gone?
dancingfate
K700
PM
Posted: 2008-05-24 06:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-05-23 04:46:48, vlotnet wrote:
Any thoughts?
The thing is I need to wait until availability of T270 and T280 here (absolutely none selling in Australia, and no easy import choices), then get them unlocked if it's on another provider's network... so with that in mind I'm thinking that it might be better to just spend 200 on an unlocked phone TODAY... but of course I don't WANT to, only to have it die on me. I think the lower-end phones are often (but not always) more reliable too - less can go wrong hardware and software-wise because they're far less complex, overall. So that's another reason I want one.

AFAIK T270 is canceled.
T280 already released and available here for about US $95 - $97.
Apple iPhone 4, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Sensation, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC Desire S, HTC Wildfire, S001, SO905iCS, T650 (Gold & Green), C901, W800, K660, K700, Beibei (G702), Severine (DEAD)
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-24 07:54
Compare K530 v K610 v W610:
http://www.esato.com/phones/index.php?phone=291&cp=224&cp2=284

If pricing is the same then W610 would be my pick, unless you want 3G in which case it's a toss up between the K530 and the K610.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-24 13:17
Rifqi_Aziz,
Thanks for the info. You guys seem to use 220V and same GSM network. Do you know any recommended sellers that ship internationally from Indonesia that accept PayPal or Moneybookers? US sites I've seen it on this afternoon have it for quite a bit more (110- up to 140ish before delivery; must be 'new phone fever' jacking prices up). I might buy the T280 but I still have to factor in the cost of Bluetooth USB adapter (I have no bluetooth currently) and postage, so it actually turns out relatively expensive for a cheap phone. I'm sure the price will go down as the months pass on, but I'm not waiting. Just unsure if it will be worthwhile compared to getting something a little more expensive higher up in the K-series with DCU-60 cable bundled in addition to bluetooth.

Will think about that.

carkitter,
Thanks for that. Yeah, I hadn't even really considered the W610 after looking at its small buttons (and going into negative convulsions ;) but I suppose I should go into a store and try them out. I tried a dummy phone with same buttons at a store on Wednesday or Thursday and wasn't impressed with the feel, but I am unsure if the dummy phone accurately reflects the tactility of the final product...and to be honest I don't remember if it was the W610 dummy phone I was feeling; it could have been another in their range, like the K550, though dunno if they would differ much). I doubt I will be too fussed about minor specs differences.

BTW, Esato's feature stats are inaccurate in some areas (USB support and voice dialling among them), but you definitely got me thinking!

Over the last few days as I've gone through both Sony's and Nokia's and Motorola's offerings (and had a quick glance at the generally unlikeable Samsung and LG ranges), I am more and more thinking I will end up spending more for cable support...unless I go the T280 route, which is only a bit cheaper in the end (after bluetooth dongle), which is a bit of a shame.

In the meantime, getting around on my phone is done on MyPhoneExplorer's brilliant "Phone Keypad" feature...lol.

Thanks for the help!
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-24 19:08

On 2008-05-23 04:46:48, vlotnet wrote:
Max_Wedge,
But I guess that's just down to very subjective things and essentially meaningless at the end of the day, but *to me* phones are incredibly poor value (just to throw in more subjectivity). FWIW, I use no more than AUD$30 of credit every 2 months (ie. I rarely make a call, but I receive a fair few). That's how I use mine. And your figures on value really assume I have the phone for 4 years (in that time you gotta replace the battery for sure, and I was already on my second battery for the K500i...and only because I managed to clean the joystick several times for it to work). I doubt many people here even have their phones for 2+ years. I happen to have a negative view of the longevity of most phones, in fact...which is another reason I don't want to spend too much on them. Especially after my K500i incident.

I can't really agree that $200 dollar phones are poor value. Generally you get quite a lot for your 200 bucks.

btw, I thought YOU mentionbed that you wanted to keep the phone for 4 years, that's why I made the comparison on the basis of 4 years. Persdonally I get about 18 months out of a phone (before I update, not before it breaks: My previous K700, K750 and current K800 all still work perfectly). I even have a T610 that still works perfectly bar the bluetooth, which died when a friend threw the phone against a wall while arguing with his girlfriend!!

Right now I'm thinking that perhaps now it's time to go to bluetooth instead of cable (considering the T270 and T280 have this)...and I'm assuming there will be no problems with MyPhoneExplorer.

Go bluetooth. I've been using it since T610. On a small phone with 5MB or less memory data transfer times are not an issue so why bother with cables? I hadn't mentioned this because you seem to be on a tight budget (otherwise why the worry about spending $200 on a phone?), but if you are prepared to buy a bluetooth dongle for your computer then go bluetooth. You can always charge with a charger while using the phone via bluetooth, or you can get a USB charger for mobile use (plugs into usb for power but charges a phone like a normal charger)

carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-25 02:36

On 2008-05-24 19:08:31, max_wedge wrote:

I hadn't mentioned this because you seem to be on a tight budget (otherwise why the worry about spending $200 on a phone?), but if you are prepared to buy a bluetooth dongle for your computer then go bluetooth.

I think its become clear through the discussion that vlotnet is not impovrished just discerning. He/she knows what they want and is very reluctant to pay extra for features they don't use, which is his/her perogative. Personally I think it's a refreshing change from the camera/autofocus/walkman sound quality flame wars!

@vlotnet
Please do report back on which model and connectivity method you choose. Threads like this are often useful to other new members.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-04 01:24
I agree it's refreshing.

However I think there are lot's of phones in his preferred price range that do what he wants. I even saw a W200 for $99, now if that's not suitable I don't know what is. If the calendar is not suitable on the low end then that's just being picky. If the calendar he likes is on a $200 model then that's what he has to buy. AS I said myself, I can't buy a mobile phone with no multimedia functions but with GPS. So I'm forced to buy a spec'd out multimedia phone just to be able to get GPS co-ordinates to plot on a map. It would be useful to have a phone with no multimedia and long battery life (not sucked up by a large screen) for bushwalking but that can still give gps co-ordinates that I can map myself on a map. But you can't get anything of that nature.

I don't think you can expect phone oem's to have every possible permutation of phone features available. I don't see it ias a criticism of SE that he can't get the phone he wants.

Honestly a W200 for $100, comes with cable, organiser features, all the shit the guy wants. Don't see the problem.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2008-06-04 00:24 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-04 01:57
its not that bad if se starts to focus on mid range and high end fones this year. imo this "sagem" level fones are ok, but se gave too much attention in that direction, no wonder they kicked out flint boy with his brainsick marketing strategy
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-04 06:18

On 2008-06-04 01:24:19, max_wedge wrote:

Honestly a W200 for $100, comes with cable, organiser features, all the shit the guy wants. Don't see the problem.

Your right, the W200 is a good phone at a great price and matches the required specs, but vlotnet is trying to avoid joysticks this time round after a bad experience with a previous SE.
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-06-22 13:03
thanks carkitter.
Yeah it's all about low-end bar form-factor with no joysticks but with basic pc connectivity, guys.

Sony Ericsson weren't offering anything compelling in the low-end (without joystick) UNTIL I saw their latest bunch of phones being released the other day.

THIS is what I was waiting for.
http://www.sonyericsson.com/c[....]ones/overview/s302?cc=au&lc=en

Now if the phone isn't a total dog in real-world use and real-world price, I will be going for this.

It's good to see the webmasters of Sony Ericsson's Australian site would also take the time to remove the ancient T230 from their phones list, finally! LOL. I haven't seen it selling in eons. Speaking of which, the T230 is exactly what I've decided to use in the meantime and it's serving me semi-acceptably for the time being.

So yes I'm thinking S302 would be perfect; seems like everything I need:

1)GSM (quad band, no less... I suppose this is good in case I jet off to another country or some equally unlikely scenario)
2) no superfluous 3G that I will never use.
3) PC connectivity (USB) which I will use.
4) bar form-factor, no joystick
+
calendar, timer, the usuals I listed.

If it's priced sanely (which they never seem to be at release. Case in point: the T280 is about $125 USD now...), it should slot well price-wise under the K530 and K630 I was considering (and dreading).

So it's T230 fever until such a time as this phone hits at decent price, I've decided. I'm expecting no more than USD$140, unlocked (given its features or lack of).

Good to see SE giving the lower-end some much-needed (long overdue) love. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-22 13:10
vlotnet,
the rrp over here in Germany is 159€, what comes down to about 250$/260AU$.

This will definitely go down at release, I expect it to be around 200$.
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-06-22 13:23
xell, thanks for that.

Overall, I like the design and I guess I will wait and see how it's priced. There's little point in getting it if it's going to cost more than some 3G phones in Sony's range, I feel.

The problem with new phones is they always have inflated prices at release, but I've decided I can wait and live with my T230 until the price reflects what the phone offers.

Thanks again.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-16 19:30
see what user opinions are about the w200 mayb e it's not that bad. Some joysticks in phones are better thsan others. K800 joystick is pretty good.
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-17 08:57
Do you have access to China phones? They can be as low as US$30 (Huawei, ZTE, K-Touch, Hi-Tech, etc)
Siluman
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-17 11:17
i thing that soner lowend range disapear because they lost in lowend range with NOKIA and Motorola
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-17 11:50
That statement has no basis in reality.
SE press releases cleary state their intention to produce more low end phones and target the emerging markets of China, India, Africa and Latin America. While Nokia outsells SE in the low end that doesn't mean SE will give up competing.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi