Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > What happened to Sony's low-end? Phones for simple tasks gone?

123  Next
Author What happened to Sony's low-end? Phones for simple tasks gone?
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-16 09:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.sonyericsson.com.au
I click on "see all phones". Low-end gone?

J-series phones - gone
....yet the dinosaur T230 is still listed? I'm assuming this has something to do with getting faulty joysticks off the market?

K-series phones on a budget = K550i only.
Awful small buttons and costs $200 Australian dollars. Any other K-series phone (K800, etc) will cost a lot more.

W-series: W200i
I can get for relatively cheap, but it has a joystick like my broken K500i, which I never want to deal with again (I cannot fix it and this is the reason I am replacing it).

-------------------
My needs are simple
No open/shut clamshell phones. Candybar only.

Calandar (with ability to search through previous appointments like K500i and no doubt all the other phones that exist now).

Alarm.
Notes.
Calculator.
Tasks.
Timer.
Stopwatch.

Memory
under 5MB onboard fine
128x160 display would be a plus but I suppose I could live with something smaller as long as it has all of the above.

PC connectivity with a cable
(optional or included cable).
-------------------

Nothing else! The rest is fluff.

At the moment Sony Ericsson's range is not doing it for me. I'm thinking something in the J-series would be the go, except without the faulty joystick design... if they were even available. Anyone else notice a big lack of low-end in Sony Ericsson's lineup? Or is this just an Australian phenomenon? I'm not prepared to spend 200 dollars on a gloss K-series phone with tiny buttons.

Anyone else?
Should I jump ship to Nokia if they have a suitable budget model meeting my needs? Is there an easy way to transfer my data over to another phone, even from another manufactuer, if it comes to that?

Appreciate the help, seriously.

[ This Message was edited by: vlotnet on 2008-05-16 08:52 ]
dancingfate
K700
PM
Posted: 2008-05-16 09:51
How about T250?
Apple iPhone 4, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Sensation, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC Desire S, HTC Wildfire, S001, SO905iCS, T650 (Gold & Green), C901, W800, K660, K700, Beibei (G702), Severine (DEAD)
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-17 15:58
Rifqi Aziz,
T250 sounds perfect. It isn't even listed on their site, oddly. Thanks!

VirginMobile is selling these in Australia for $79. I hope I can get the thing unlocked for free somehow.
number1
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-05-17 16:02
the best low-end phone they ever made was the w300i it is a flip phone but it has a d-pad and not a joystick.
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-17 16:45
Ah, just found out the T250 doesn't connect via USB cable. Only infrared. Bah!

number1,
Thanks for the advice. I wish I can get to liking flips but they just aren't for me.
number1
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-05-17 16:50
i think you will find nearly all se's candy bar phones have joysticks all the flip phones have d-pads, i prefer the flip phones to candybars there so much nicer and compact.
c_vignesh
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-17 17:36
There are plenty of clamshells like z530i, z550i or you could try K530i it has a larger keypad or W660i ....
TeknoBoi90
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-17 17:47
There are also the K200, K220, T270 & T280. They're all very similar but any of them is USB compatible... That's stupid....
Paul in LA
C902 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-05-17 18:07
Ah...How 'bout the K660i?

I have one. It's light years better than the K550i in every way.
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-18 14:45
number1,
Having to open up the phone is enough of an annoyance to me. Most flips are also either wide or thick when closed. I don't like that.

c_vignesh,
Flips out of the question. K530i is one I missed but still too expensive for basic needs (around $200 here), but I guess if I have to get something soon I'll have to get something like it, tho after my K500i I feel spending too much for 'disposables' like this is a bit much. W660i is far more than I need and want to spend, too...tho I bet it's nice. Thanks.

TeknoBoi90,
K200, K220, T270 & T280... I haven't seen these selling anywhere yet. Tho these seem to be the budget models I'm after here. Provided they are priced sanely. Hmm, nice. None of these even listed on their website. For a minute there I thought they gave up on the low-end.

Paul in LA,
K660i way more than I need and want to spend this time 'round, but thanks.

Seems like the (upcoming?) low-end K and T series is where the magic might be this time 'round. And no crappy joysticks. None in shops or online here, tho. I guess some waiting is in order.
Paul in LA
C902 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-05-18 18:22

Paul in LA,
K660i way more than I need and want to spend this time 'round, but thanks.

Seems like the (upcoming?) low-end K and T series is where the magic might be this time 'round. And no crappy joysticks. None in shops or online here, tho. I guess some waiting is in order.

What do you consider a low end phone? The K660i is about as low as you can get in features and price. Anything lower will come with a string and can.

[ This Message was edited by: Paul in LA on 2008-05-18 17:22 ]
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-19 03:44

On 2008-05-18 18:22:21, Paul in LA wrote:

What do you consider a low end phone? The K660i is about as low as you can get in features and price. Anything lower will come with a string and can.

Paul,
That phone is $250 to $300 Australian dollars, bought outright (I don't use contracts/plans, I buy the phone outright and use prepaid credits, so no price is disguised this way). The K660i is also a 3G phone which I don't use. It is filled with features I would never make use of in everday life and frankly would never pay for, especially if it goes south the same way my K500i did.

The price I am after is 100ish. I don't think it's asking too much, coz the fact is every manufacturer makes phones in this price bracket with the features I want (which are very basic). When I buy a phone I expect to have it at least 4 years...I don't change them like people change underwear. They are tools to get the job done. SMS. Phone. Contacts. Appointments. PC connectivity. The basics.

I can appreciate I'm not a 'phone enthusiast' like most people here, but c'mon, that phone is far from low-end, unless our definitions of low-end are totally different. I would class it as a mainstream phone. I am not gonna pay the equivalent of a PSP for a crappy phone, excuse the french. I have my walkman for audio...I have my PSP for gaming. All I need is a basic phone with the requirements I set out earlier in this thread.

I just wish some of those lower-end phones would be available soon because right now SE are pretty much ignoring the low-end here.
Cheers.
Paul in LA
C902 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-05-19 04:44

On 2008-05-19 03:44:30, vlotnet wrote:

On 2008-05-18 18:22:21, Paul in LA wrote:

Paul,
That phone is $250 to $300 Australian dollars, bought outright (I don't use contracts/plans, I buy the phone outright and use prepaid credits, so no price is disguised this way). The K660i is also a 3G phone which I don't use. It is filled with features I would never make use of in everday life and frankly would never pay for, especially if it goes south the same way my K500i did.

The price I am after is 100ish. I don't think it's asking too much, coz the fact is every manufacturer makes phones in this price bracket with the features I want (which are very basic). When I buy a phone I expect to have it at least 4 years...I don't change them like people change underwear. They are tools to get the job done. SMS. Phone. Contacts. Appointments. PC connectivity. The basics.

I can appreciate I'm not a 'phone enthusiast' like most people here, but c'mon, that phone is far from low-end, unless our definitions of low-end are totally different. I would class it as a mainstream phone. I am not gonna pay the equivalent of a PSP for a crappy phone, excuse the french. I have my walkman for audio...I have my PSP for gaming. All I need is a basic phone with the requirements I set out earlier in this thread.

I just wish some of those lower-end phones would be available soon because right now SE are pretty much ignoring the low-end here.
Cheers.

Well the phone is $215 US (which is about $225 AU). That's about as low end as you can get in price. You certainly aren't paying extra $ for the 3G as almost every new phone has 3G these days. Low end included. How many new phones under $200 without a contract are there? Not many I'd wager.
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-19 05:06
Paul,
With all due respect you are coming across as a phone enthusiast or a salesperson to me, without taking into account my NEEDS.

1) Double the price I'm willing to pay.
2) Double (?) the features I'm would use.
3) A straight currency conversion isn't always accurate (people have to eat, others have to deliver). As I say 250 to 300 here.
4) 3G. Happy with 2G thanks. Countless useless features I can do without, thanks.
5) Your low-end is clearly not what the phone companies call low-end. Heaps of 'tin can' phones selling for 100ish, thanks.
6) The phones Teknoboi90 mentioned are low-end phones that seem to meet my needs perfectly. Nokia has others. Motorola has others. They rarely stray too far away from 100 dollars. Meet my needs perfectly, tho I prefer SE's interface.

Put simply:
Useless features I should pay for, why? Exactly. I'll wait for some of the low-end phones to reach more widespread availability. Case closed?

We can argue about what's low-end until we're blue in the face. We clearly have different needs and uses, and you can never convince me that phone is low-end. Sorry.

Thanks for your contributions tho.
Paul in LA
C902 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-05-19 05:26

On 2008-05-19 05:06:52, vlotnet wrote:
Paul,
With all due respect you are coming across as a phone enthusiast or a salesperson to me, without taking into account my NEEDS.

1) Double the price I'm willing to pay.
2) Double (?) the features I'm would use.
3) A straight currency conversion isn't always accurate (people have to eat, others have to deliver). As I say 250 to 300 here.
4) 3G. Happy with 2G thanks. Countless useless features I can do without, thanks.
5) Your low-end is clearly not what the phone companies call low-end. Heaps of 'tin can' phones selling for 100ish, thanks.
6) The phones Teknoboi90 mentioned are low-end phones that seem to meet my needs perfectly. Nokia has others. Motorola has others. They rarely stray too far away from 100 dollars. Meet my needs perfectly, tho I prefer SE's interface.

Put simply:
Useless features I should pay for, why? Exactly. I'll wait for some of the low-end phones to reach more widespread availability. Case closed?

We can argue about what's low-end until we're blue in the face. We clearly have different needs and uses, and you can never convince me that phone is low-end. Sorry.

Thanks for your contributions tho.

Okie dokie.

[ This Message was edited by: Paul in LA on 2008-05-19 05:44 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi