Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE please put a CCD sensor in the next K/C series?

123  Next
Author SE please put a CCD sensor in the next K/C series?
EddieAdams
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 02:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
It seems so simple! After reading the thread on the SO905iCS and seeing the photos taken by the SO905iCS I'm fed up. The I-mobile 902 still takes better photos simply because of the CCD sensor. I just want a phone that is comparable to a standalone camera of similiar MP's, and none of these camera phones are cutting it. NONE, not SE or Nokia or whatever...
Get a CCD in there before we worry about 3x optical or 120fps or any other little feature.
Thats what I want, and I want it in a candybar SE package with a external lense cover and non-blemishing SOLID exterior construction. Am I asking too much? Am I the only one? Anyway I vented. Flame away.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 02:40
I'm one of those guys who are yearning for the comeback of CCD sensors on SE cam phones. it was long long ago that we enjoyed true sony cybershot image quality on a mobile phone.
EddieAdams
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 02:48
Maybe we could petition:).... Had the idea the SO905iCS was going to be the phone to do it, was holding out hope, then I saw the photos:-? I know nothing about building phones but, is it that much different throwing a CCD in there?
Hello, Exactly!-Eddie Adams a.k.a. Dirk Diggler a.k.a. Brock Landers. Boogie Nights.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-15 02:53
guys, thses are mobile fones with cam features and not cams with fone features... no offnce, but imo all of us could be more then happy with the cam features what se, nokia and the others are offering. u can get good digi cams for peanuts and u just have to put the memcard in the fone and u can enjoy the pix there too, send it via email etc

of course a ccd is not a big deal, but just imagine, the cam goes wrong and u dont have a fone for weeks, cos it sits in the service. so what more important for u? to make calls or make pix?
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
SaLiH
Apple iPhone 6
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-15 03:04
@EddieAdams - You're not the only one, just read my signature and you'll se what I mean! I'm longing for CCD SE phone since I've sold my i-mobile 902 (which had an excellent camera, but the phone itself was horrible).
It doesn't even have to be 5 MP, it can be 2 or 3 MP! SE just make Candybar CCD Cyber-Shot phone!

[ This Message was edited by: SaLiH on 2008-04-15 02:08 ]
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-15 03:40
I second that. CCD sensor would be great.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
EddieAdams
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 03:40
@Boba
I know what you're saying but, the fact is the I mobile 902 still is the best imager out there because of the CCD sensor. There is no reason that they can't put a CCD in the top-tier K/C series. In fact it could be a distinguishing feature from non K/C series.
@Salih
You're right it doesn't have to be 5mp(though would be nice). Just imagine a SE featured phone with that camera. Add a decent music player. Waa Laa you have a top seller. I just don't get it.
Hello, Exactly!-Eddie Adams a.k.a. Dirk Diggler a.k.a. Brock Landers. Boogie Nights.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 04:38
i think you should do what max_wedge did:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=168026
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 06:43
It's never going to happen. Why? Because SE, like all other camera phone producers, understands that the average user doesn't know or care about top photo quality from a camera phone and that the same user would not be prepared to pay for the slightly more expensive CCD based camera phone and it's weaker battery life. They know that most users value battery life over photo quality.

The trend is CMOS. One example: Samsung offered a CCD camphone in the US, the SCH-a990. Top photo quality! Have a look at Bill McClung's site to see some excellent examples. Last year Samsung produced a replacement: SCH-U900. What type of sensor? CMOS! Does the photos suck? Of course! Compare Bill's samples with those in Phone Arena's U900 review.

Am I disappointed that Mobile Review were wrong in their prediction that SE would use the same 5 MP CCD camera module in their phones as SAMART used in the i-mobile 902?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-15 09:46
I don't think SE could afford to do it without losing money. There aren't enough committed users who would buy weight and poor battery life for the advantage of CCD. I would myself, but I'm not a typical user.
EddieAdams
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-17 03:23
@max
Honestly what would be the cost difference for CCD? Does CCD affect battery life that much? There are plenty of people that would invest in a phone that, for once, could be considered a legitimate substitute for your digital camera. I have decided against getting the k850 because of the poor(compared to what I expected) and inconsistent photos.Also the build quality was sub-par IMO. Had the k850i taken photos as well as promised I would have paid whatever the asking price was just for the convenience.

CCD produces SUCH better images on that scale it is worth the risk for a company if you ask me.
The k850 has been successful despite not living up to the hype(imaging wise compared to k800) and buggy firmware and shoddy build quality. Now think if SE had built a phone of solid construction and had blew away the competition in the imaging department, how much more successful do you think the k850 would have been? March has come and gone, there is no sign AT&T is picking up the k850a here in the states.
EddieAdams
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-17 03:43

On 2008-04-15 06:43:25, AbuBasim wrote:
It's never going to happen. Why? Because SE, like all other camera phone producers, understands that the average user doesn't know or care about top photo quality from a camera phone and that the same user would not be prepared to pay for the slightly more expensive CCD based camera phone and it's weaker battery life. They know that most users value battery life over photo quality.

The trend is CMOS. One example: Samsung offered a CCD camphone in the US, the SCH-a990. Top photo quality! Have a look at Bill McClung's site to see some excellent examples. Last year Samsung produced a replacement: SCH-U900. What type of sensor? CMOS! Does the photos suck? Of course! Compare Bill's samples with those in Phone Arena's U900 review.

Am I disappointed that Mobile Review were wrong in their prediction that SE would use the same 5 MP CCD camera module in their phones as SAMART used in the i-mobile 902?

Abu
We're talking about a niche market to begin with, aren't we? We have people spending $400-$900 dollars in some cases just to have the best. SE should realize that none of their top models are for the average user. NONE! We are the market that is willing to spend a little extra if it is worth it, even alot extra in some cases. We like being the only ones to have "it", we like showing off what "it" can do....so on. What I'm saying is, that the top of the line phones of any company aren't geared for the average user to begin with. Those phones are geared towards us,"the ones willing to pay extra if it is better or the best."
Look at the N95's intial and continuing success despite abismal battery life. Again its that niche of people. They have since improved battery life, it is still sub-par IMO.
My friend has/had that Samsung from Verizon. I did not know that it had a CCD sensor in it. Those photos are impressive to say the least. The difference between the two is amazing. They should have pushed that fact a little bit more. Don't care much for Samsung's UI though. Thanks for that tidbit though.
tempus
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-04-17 11:25
CCD sensors are great but its simply that CMOS are cheaper and comsumes less bettery power. Im not sure about the cost diference but even if only a few cents or pence per sensor the cost saving could be huge. I know that most people I know with a camera phone, if I mentioned CCD or even CMOS I would more than likely get a blank expression. I think most consumers are not bothered about the CCD vs CMOS issue. They want to take half decent pics.
F-Lexx
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-17 12:46
Hey, EddieAdams is right. Sony Ericsson is all about choices. Why are you all saying stuff like "SE are concerned that the average user wants this or that" and "the trend is CMOS". Or that crap about marketing strategies, trying to sell their low-end camers. Come on people, Sony-Ericsson have begun building different phones for different purposes. There are always users willing to spend the extra cash if they want a good phone with a kick-ass camera, and at the same time there will also be users with lower budgets or who only need a camera and will buy the low and mid-end cameras. It's all about choices.
And I think it's really shameful for Sony-Ericsson that an almost 2 years old phone from Thailand beats the crap out of their so-called Cybershot flagship, and while using a Sony camera module. Oh, and read the reviews. The I-Mobile 902 has quite a good battery life, even by SE's standards.
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-17 12:54
Then SE is saving a lot of dollars by providing us smaller cmos sensors,slower processors,smaller 262k screens etc.

Yes,common people don't care if the sensor is cmos or ccd,all the care is about quality of pictures. Thats why manufacturers have to use better sensors . (Imo,there shouldn't be anything smaller than 1/2.8 in high-medium range phones.I have used k550!).

If SE has access to sony's resources,SE has the luxury to choose a sensor from a vast pool of CCD and CMOS sensors.we can only hope!

[ This Message was edited by: shyam335 on 2008-04-17 11:55 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi