Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > My W960i died today.Good riddance!

Author My W960i died today.Good riddance!
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-04-09 11:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-04-08 20:05:22, AD wrote:
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but could it be the usb port you're trying to charge from? I'd try another just to be sure - preferably on different place on your pc, as this would be on a different usb root hub.

Hi AD
The port is OK it charges my P1 fine, this is a W960 problem I am certain.
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
dgable
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-09 13:03
Well mine went at weekend i was bored of using a smart fone as a non smart fone.
Altho the music player wasnt quite loud enough i did find the touch screen walkman player useful in the gym using it with my finger.

Im now on an 02 xda orbit 2 apart from the lack of keys for inputting text im well happy with the amount of software available as im spoilt for choice. It even outstrips my n95 8gb in this department.

The point of this is unless there is a huge improvement in support from 3rd party developers then my next SE touch screen handset will be a windows mobile device not uiq.
Will a phone manufacturer give us personalised txt alerts as a standard feature plz!
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-09 15:25

On 2008-04-09 11:41:19, makbil wrote:
Q. Is there any end-to-end security between my handset and — for example — paypal.com or my bank?

A. No. If you need full end-to-end encryption, you should use a full Web browser such as Opera Mobile.

Yes there is end to end security, it's called SSL and it's 128bit encryption.
That's the whole point of secure pages. All the way from your handset, to opera servers, to your bank is protected by 128bit encryption, the exact same standard used in any full web browser.

As I said, this is only true since Opera Mini 3, so anyone with the hacked opera (v2) or versions before 3 will not have support for SSL but anyone with Opera Mini 3 or later can rest assured their transactions are as secure as on a computer. Not even Opera would be able to intercept your transaction, it's encrypted all the way.
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-09 18:55
@max_wedge

This

Can Opera Software see my passwords and credit card numbers in clear text? What is the encryption good for then?
The encryption is introduced to protect the communication from any third party between the client (the browser on your handset) and the Opera Mini transcoder server. If you do not trust Opera Software, make sure you do not use our application to enter any kind of sensitive information.

has been quoted fm here:

http://www.operamini.com/help/faq/#encryption

What I understand fm above is that the encryption protects fm a third party capturing data fm the transmission between OM client & server.

And the next statement (If you do not trust Opera Software..) proves the fact that my sensitive information CAN be seen by Opera in clear text.

And do I trust Opera or anyone else as far as my private data is concerned ?

No, I don't.

If you do, feel free to share your passwords with the world, but pls do not mislead anyone...
HTC HD2 [16 GB] + SE HBH-DS980
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-09 22:25
@max_wedge, my quote was taken directly from Opera mini web site. I suggest that you check it as I think you are wrong. Unless the official Opera web site has the info wrong.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-10 01:17

On 2008-04-09 22:25:00, makbil wrote:
@max_wedge, my quote was taken directly from Opera mini web site. I suggest that you check it as I think you are wrong. Unless the official Opera web site has the info wrong.

Fair enough I stand corrected. But please note, that the link I provided also points to opera mini website, where they say explicitly that secure transactions are protected in Opera Mini. Obviously from your quote this is not true. Stupid me for believing Opera

However I do trust Opera with my personal details, and think it's extremely unlikely they would be hacked for such info (more likely attackers would target a bank or some easier target). But I guess tecnhically it's possible a crook could hack Opera Mini and steal credit card details. Especially if it was an inside job.

Personally I think it's unlikley.

makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-10 01:57
@max_wedge, it's better to be safe than sorry...

I will explain this for the benefit of others as the Opera site is a little confusing, what they mean is:

Your data is secure between your phone and the Opera server, however, the data is decrypted at the Opera server for processing, then encrypted again. This means that at some point between you and the bank, your sensitive information becomes visible.

On the other hand, Opera mobile uses point-to-point encryption between you and the bank.

Now, possibly -and the key word here is possibly- the Opera server has all the required security precautions in place but at the same time a lot of people will know about this vulnerability. Is it really worth taking the risk?
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-10 08:38
Some old school people I know say the same thing about internet banking altogether They don't trust it at all.

But I probably will use the native browser (on non-smartphones) rather than Opera Mini.

On WM I use Opera Mobile as my default browser.
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-10 10:27

On 2008-04-10 08:38:10, max_wedge wrote:
Some old school people I know say the same thing about internet banking altogether They don't trust it at all.

Fortunately I'm not that old
I've been actively working in the IT field since 1982. As an IT consultant frequently I have to advise on security issues, so trust me, it's a good idea to be a little paranoid when working on the Internet.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi