Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > My W960i died today.Good riddance!

Author My W960i died today.Good riddance!
bathers
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-02 11:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Today my W960i died. Yesterday the screen stopped responding completely and today after attempting a firmware reset (in the vain hope that it was a software glitch) the phone will now not turn on at all (keyboard lights up but no life inside).

I'll be taking it back to Vodafone today and the one big drawback is that they'll no doubt make me replace it with another W960i. Having used Ericssons/SonyErcissons for the past 8 years I can honestly say this is the only phone I've been disappointed with. I owned a P900 years ago and the W960i shows no obvious improvements on that phone (4 years ago I could excuse slow response times, a buggy interface and a shocking sync ability... but not anymore!). In my opinion SonyEricsson are doing the right thing by moving away from Symbian and working with Microsoft (X1 etc). Symbian may be interesting but like Linux it should be left to the geeks and big companies like SonyEricsson should concentrate on technologies that work rather than ripping off people like me with substandard products.

If you need evidence that the W960i is a crap phone just look at the money SE have spent marketing the model - practically nothing. They are clearly ashamed of it. It's the product of an underfunded department within SE that nobody knows how to shut down. Shut it down and shut it down now.

If I could deal with the shame of owning an apple I would probably opt for the 3G iphone when it comes out. At least it can handle text messages and calls the way a phone should!

Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 11:54
I have to say my W960 is disappointing the touch screen only works when it feels like it! and the additional player keys only light up when they feel like it! but a good music player most of the time!
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 12:22
Good post. I agree - I think it's time that SE's UIQ development team were made to put up, or shut down. Release something worthwhile and up-to-the-minute for 2008, or just go quietly.

The W960 adds nothing to what they were already failing with 2-3 years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-04-02 11:23 ]
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 12:32
here we go again...
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
M-Tuning
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 12:35
Just install the firmware update and most of the problems are gone
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 12:36
What Boinng is saying is true though. . . .
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 12:38

On 2008-04-02 12:22:59, Boinng wrote:
Good post. I agree - I think it's time that SE's UIQ development team were made to put up, or shut down. Release something worthwhile and up-to-the-minute for 2008, or just go quietly.

The W960 adds nothing to what they were already failing with 2-3 years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-04-02 11:23 ]

Wow, You've turned to be a very big UIQ oppositionist
10 years at Esato
bathers
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-02 12:47
I had the new firmware installed - very little difference between it and and the old firmware. In 2008 a phone should perform better than this. There really are no more excuses for shoddy design - not from a multi-national like SE. If it was some upstart company in the back of a shed in Bromley I would understand...but this is a massive company with a massive research budget we're talking about.

...Now I can't do anything with the phone (update won't work..can't recognise the phone). I may try one of the wizzy da-vinci style things but I'm not really sure it's worth it.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 12:51
Id say your should avoid that stuff and ask for a replacement...your unit seems pretty f...ed up

Fact is, W960 is far from being a perfect phone, but general opinion about it is that it is a decent device...but some people just cant handle the design decisions SE made with it (remove the back button, lack of d-pad, etc), and its perfectly understandable

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2008-04-02 11:54 ]
mobman
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 12:52
i've seen a few reviews for the w960 saying it has a clunky interface and it very slow - is it really worse than the p1i as i have no troubles that.
gpanda
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 12:53
Guys,

I got this phone on the launch day in Kolkata, India, survived with the phone 4 almost 15 days and then ultimately went back to dealer to get it replaced with a Nokia E61i < - though from a different class but much userfriendly & stable <-a must for a mobile user in my opinion.

This phone is a crapp with irratic touch screen.

Regards,
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 13:03

On 2008-04-02 12:38:34, razec wrote:
Wow, You've turned to be a very big UIQ oppositionist

I'm just bored of seeing the same old complaints and the same old devices being repackaged and reposted over and over again - I mean, when I had problems with the sync on my old M600i it was annoying, especially after years of similar problems on the P910 and P800 before it, but that was a couple of years ago. I've since seen how these things are meant to work, on another OS, and I'm just left wondering why on earth any of us put up with such an underperforming platform - and why it's still underperforming even now, even when the development of any actual new features seems to have ground to a halt.

UIQ3 is old now, surely they've had time to make it work?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 13:06
Hi all

I think the point is that SE's UIQ devices haven't moved forward since the announcement and launch of the P990 except for the essential for it to even run properly Ram.

I have always said what the problem was and it appears over the last year more people have agreed with MO, and only those true SE fans seem unable to face reality. Every review i have seen has commented on the slow UI and most mention the lack of HSDPA on a flagship smart phone device in 2008.

As for what Ares says with

"but general opinion about it is that it is a decent device."

Now does that really cut it for an expensive Flagship device? and are people right to expect more for there money it seems the latter seems to be true.

We know of yet again the rumors of new high end UIQ devices but just when will they be announced? and then how long before they are available? and finally just how confident can any of us be that SE will actually deliver on what they promise?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-04-02 12:06 ]
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 13:14
If you ask me, does it deserve the price that it launched with??? I say - of course not!!!

UIQ3 is old now, surely they've had time to make it work?

It does work. But sometimes, hardware does not help

______

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2008-04-02 12:36 ]
mange69
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 14:13
I've had alot of problems with my W960 that I bought Dec 20, 2007. 2 times in for service and now waiting for a respond to get it replaced with a new one.

It started with the phone turning it self off once or twice a week, but after every service it got worse. They just reinstallled the firmware and the test said OK. (I wonder if they even started the phone to see.)

Today I have it at home, but can not use it since it is alive at the most for 15 minutes. Then I can't get it started again. At first it helped to remove the battery, but now I have to remove the battery and keep it off for an hour or two just to have it alive again for 15 minutes. Thank god I have my old T39... =)

After all I loved the phone and I don't think its crappy (except my sample). It has all I need, but the only thing I miss is the keys for right/left choise in the menues.

Cheers,

//Mange
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi