Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > My W960i died today.Good riddance!

Author My W960i died today.Good riddance!
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 21:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have to agree that uiq3 has hardly seen any progress. Even the hardware hasn't seen much progress. Nothing much in terms of apps.

We might not have all moved to the same os from uiq3 but we all seem to be saying that uiq3 is a weak os compared to it.
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 23:32
Good point AD.
I dont think of it as shrugging my shoulders, rather just a part of consumerisim that is unavoidable. Your right their shouldnt be bad batches of phones or problems with build quality out there and yes i do hold SE responsible for quality control, but at the same time if some poor kid in east jiblib falls asleep on the assembly line and 20 phones go by before he wakes up its not Se fault. When you have complicated equipment being put together a fraction of an inch can determine the difference between a working model and one that will fall apart in 6 months. But im going in circles.

Im also glad that you brought up this point:
"people buy multifunction or 'convergent' devices for the sake of convienience, and of course some comprimises on functionality have to be made"
Come on people it pulls a signal from space and sends another one back out all so that you can tell your girlfriend that your on the way. and after that you can surf the web while listening to music and checking your email. It incenses me that people have a device that does all these things and can still find something to complain about, especially if you have researched a phone know its faults and still buy it any way. You will never get an all in one to do the same work as a standalone
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 13:10

On 2008-04-03 23:32:57, defiantbeast wrote:
...if some poor kid in east jiblib falls asleep on the assembly line and 20 phones go by before he wakes up its not Se fault.

Then who'se fault is it? I believe this would show a lack of 'control' over the quality.

Don't get me wrong, I am a realist, I know these things are somewhat enevitable, and that mobile device aren't constructed individualy by Swiss watch makers It just seem like there's been a marked increase of late of people posting problems with their phones that are distinctly hardware related. IMHO this is probably due to over zelous overhead cutting in what is a highly compettitive market. On the converse, the same competition exists in all parts of the consumer electronics industry, yet devices such as the pc I'm typing this on are a damn sight more relia******'''@@'.....................SYSTEM ERROR - xxx%%%43345xxxxxxxxxx^^^^@@@#####................

EDIT: Phew - that was close

[ This Message was edited by: AD on 2008-04-04 12:33 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 13:32
@DefiantBeast

Are you sure it sends it into Space and down to our phones as i would doubt many of us our using Satellite phones. I think you will find that the base stations most of us use are Land based and well within the Earths atmosphere and we are now talking about the Networks performance nothing to do with the phones we use.

Very few of them are using new technology and yes i believe we do have a right to expect our devices to perform as specified especially when it comes to basic phone functionality.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-04-04 12:34 ]
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 14:51
I certainly expect a device I paid over $1000 to -at least- have the advertised features and work properly. Sure there will be a few problems here and there but what would you think of the brand new car you bought if you weren't sure if its brakes would work? Or if it would take the manufacturer 3 recalls to get the steering right? And eventually that manufacturer would just tell you to get rid of that car at your expense and buy their new model.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 15:25
I guess the truth is, as most of us change our phones on a fairly regular basis for the next best thing, that the manufacturers don't place such an emphasis on durability. After all, all they really want is to sell more phones.

The problem comes when ruthless cost cutting has a significant impact on the average user's enjoyment of a particular brand's products, so rather than faults being isolated incidents, they become common occurences. I do wonder if "they" are getting close to this balance point. In some ways I hope so, as this would impact upon their market share and force them into some improvements.

[ This Message was edited by: AD on 2008-04-04 14:37 ]
2manydjs
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 16:23
The p1i is 8th phone I own made by (Sony) Ericsson. I like the keypad and the jog dial (though I miss the 5-way jog dial on my P900..). But now I'm tired of SE releasing very few firmware updates and fixing none of my annoyances with the phone. The system is just too slow (though stable) and until Opera 9.5 is released it doesn't have a decent webbrowser (though for mobile sites the buit-in browser will do).

As soon as the iPhone is released with at least UMTS (my provider doesn't support EDGE) I will put my P1 on eBay and say goodbye to SE for a long long time.
SE you've lost a loyal customer after 7 years..
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 16:44
it doesn't have a decent webbrowser

so...opera mini is not even decent for you??? its what i use, not opera mobile...and now even more, with version 4.1
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 17:28

Opera Mini is nice, light and useful.

But it's not safe imo and therefore should not be used for any web site where login is required.
HTC HD2 [16 GB] + SE HBH-DS980
sadeghi85
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 17:40
You can say that about teashark, but i don't think OM is not safe.
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 18:08
Im curious what leads you to believe that its not safe???

@doggman
touché!! perhaps i should have said that the signal is pulled from the ether...

@AD
you hit the nail on the head, however dont get me wrong im prone to my fits of rage when my device what ever it is doesnt work i just understand that its a multifaceted problem and the blame doesnt lye soley on SE or RIM or Nokia......
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 18:20
@defiantbeast

It's the fact that all data is passing a 3rd party server.

I don't like it.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 18:51
depends on what that you sent on it...if you have critical data operations, use opera mobile, for all the other stuff you do on the phone, use opera mini (and its most of the time), use opera mini
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 19:32
@defiantbeast, all data sent & received with opera mini passes through the opera server so it can be formatted properly. If you are doing sensitive operations such as banking, you should never use opera mini.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-04 19:39
@ares

that's what I'm doing since OM exists, but safety is my primary concern as far as web browsing is concerned, and that's why it's one step away from being 'decent' imo.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi