Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > N96 to have Xenon flash added at 11th hour

Previous  1234  Next
Author N96 to have Xenon flash added at 11th hour
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-29 20:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This is what I've been trying to tell a guy at work who wants to buy the (now long dead) N92 or the N77, for the TV, and I keep telling him it won't work. He insists its the same frequency freeview works on, what a dumbass lol
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
gregface
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-03-29 21:54
the trouble with xenon flash is that it uses electrolytic capacitors, which are bulky and won't get very much smaller since it is physically impossible to make a smaller capacitor with the same capacitance which meets specs.
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-29 21:57
This story is utter rubbish. No Xenon flash will be added.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2008-03-29 22:18
Yep,it doesn't have 3D acceleration, it has an a video and audio DSP. From i know 3D acceleration is not needed for Ngage gaming, my N81 runs the Ngage games very well and im sure the N96 will be the same
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-29 22:53
it would be a real wonder if n96 survives 12h at heavy usage, next to it the xenon flash ( which is a bonus of course ) will drain the batt more faster
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-30 11:26

On 2008-03-29 21:57:33, bavlondon2 wrote:
This story is utter rubbish. No Xenon flash will be added.

Anything to back that up?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2008-03-30 12:05
Boba
Well apparently the N96 can pull off a full day due to FP2 being very power efficient when it comes to Multimedia apps like Music Player, Radio, Video Player etc. . . So who knows,but i still also can't believe that it will get past 12hours.
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-30 13:59
This may be possible but highly unlikely from a marketing stand point, for the following reasons:

1. The N96 is not a imaging oriented phone, its aimed at Multimedia as in TV, Video and Audio.
2. The N96 will cannabalize on N82 sales which has'nt yet reached its EOL.
3. The N96 was never developed as an "All-in-One" as the N95, its more of a niche phone such as the N93, the next high end imaging phone will be a successor to the N93 imo.
4. The Xenon flash will drain the battery, no matter how power efficent FP2 is, software can just do so much, software can increase stand by time but not talk time as thats based on the RF chipset etc.. so the battery would need to be bigger, hence making the phone bigger which Nokia wont be willing to do.
5. Lastly and not very accurate, do not trust the marketing guys as they hear tiny bits of rumours trickling down from the R&D departments, mostly such a feature would undergoe testing for a future product and rarely gets into production.

I do no have any concrete evidence supporting my claim, its just a logical assumption after spending a few years in the industry and watching Nokias strategy.
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-30 14:09
ok, in answer to your points:

1. Next to the N82, the N95 and N96 are the closest to 'imaging' phones Nokia have ever had. The whole N-series is meant to be about good imaging, video, games and music, the whole multimedia experience.

2. N96 isn't due out until the N82 is nearing the end of it's life. Judgeing by sales, the N82 is a niche phone.

3. The N96, is the successor to the N95, as that was to the N93 and so on. It's main focus has always been photo and video, and as they've evolved, the other multimedia aspects have been added to increase its overal functionality.

4. Who said it wouldn't use a similar battery to the N82? It's not a finalised phone yet and quite a way off launch, so time will tell.

5. Fair enough, he may have heard a trickle, but we'll see when it comes out. It would make sense as by that point the N82 will have been out long enough to see if sales have been good/bad, and N95 8GB users are going to want more of an upgrade than more memory and a TV tuner they can't use for another 2 years. Hence the idea of the Xenon flash.

Again, like yourself, I have no concrete evidence to support my claim, but this is my logical assumptions based on what I've seen since the launch of the N-Series.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2008-03-30 15:46
Wasn't the N95 the successor to the N80? I don't see the N95 as any better than an N93. The N93 carries the same chipset. N93 has Optical Zoom, stereo Video audio recording, a larger 1100mAh battery, and it wasn't exactly meant to sell a lot, the price (on my side) for an N93i is actualy a little more than the N95-1.
N96 can't be the N95 successor IMO, they are too similar, and from what ive read the N95 still has a better chipset,but i maybe wrong, this is just my opinion.
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-30 16:24
The Optical zoom makes all the difference, if you see the N93 was marketed as a video based device. The N95 as an overall multimedia computer along with its VGA quality video recording and 5Mpx camera, the N96 as a video oriented device, it is not in reality a sucessor to the N96.

The processor on the N96 is waay to inferior for it to replace the N95, the N95 sucessor should run on OMAP3 or a similar specced processor with most probably a VGA. The N96 feels like a device Nokia are using to test the DVBH waters with like the N77, I dont think they expect it to be a big seller as they have'nt really done much on the handset.

But this is'nt an N96 discussion thread, basically what I meant to propve was the N96 is highly unlikely to get the Xenon flash, there maybe units(or actually will be units) with a Xenon flash at Nokia R&D as there were VGA screened N95s which never saw the light of day in the open market.
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-30 19:38

On 2008-03-30 14:09:53, Daedalus85 wrote:
ok, in answer to your points:

1. Next to the N82, the N95 and N96 are the closest to 'imaging' phones Nokia have ever had. The whole N-series is meant to be about good imaging, video, games and music, the whole multimedia experience.

Actually N96 isnt about imaging. Sure it has a 5MP camera but the focal length is smaller than on the N95 and N82.

2. N96 isn't due out until the N82 is nearing the end of it's life. Judgeing by sales, the N82 is a niche phone.

How may I ask is the N82 a niche phone? Its Nokias imaging flagship! In actual fact Eldar referred to it as a mid range one meaning somthing big is on the way - my guess is the eventual N93 sucessor.

3. The N96, is the successor to the N95, as that was to the N93 and so on. It's main focus has always been photo and video, and as they've evolved, the other multimedia aspects have been added to increase its overal functionality.

No is not the sucessor to the N95. Its aimed at a different audience hence no TI chipset being used. Are you thinking its the sucessor because of the name? So are you then going to assume the N81 is a sucessor to the N80? lol

4. Who said it wouldn't use a similar battery to the N82? It's not a finalised phone yet and quite a way off launch, so time will tell.

Erm actually Nokia have said that. Not only that but they also mentioned they had optimised the phone to achieve 14 hours music playback. But N95 already does that with v20 fw so its not that big a deal. Main point though, dont expect anything larger than 950mah.

5. Fair enough, he may have heard a trickle, but we'll see when it comes out. It would make sense as by that point the N82 will have been out long enough to see if sales have been good/bad, and N95 8GB users are going to want more of an upgrade than more memory and a TV tuner they can't use for another 2 years. Hence the idea of the Xenon flash.

The N73 is still being sold now and that was released when? The N82 will be out for a long time to come. Infact I dont think we will see above 5MP from Nokia in 2008. And no new OZ either. (Ask Badger of MR). Instead what you will see is the 5MP camera module from the N95/N82 used in several non N range phones (bad news for SE). Eldar actually said this would happen months ago and voila we have the 6220.

If n95 8gb owners want more of upgrade then they will just have to wait.

Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-03-31 02:37

On 2008-03-29 20:04:53, Daedalus85 wrote:
This is what I've been trying to tell a guy at work who wants to buy the (now long dead) N92 or the N77, for the TV, and I keep telling him it won't work. He insists its the same frequency freeview works on, what a dumbass lol

its abit pointless Nokia bringing it to the Uk,
if were to wait 2 years or so for that to work..

i'd tell the guy you say to go and buy a freeview box/reciever nuff said! but if he's stupid enuff to waste cash then let him people never listen

An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-31 02:50
just imagine what batt u need for a proper usage with that tv feature.
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
JiSm
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-31 02:54
An OLED screen would be nice. Anyone actually seen vids on an Arte? Damn nice.
"Back in the land of the long white cloud!"
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi