Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Wifi speeds on P1i.

Previous  123  Next
Author Wifi speeds on P1i.
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 18:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Nipsen, just a small correction:
1.5 x 1024 / 8 = 192 KB/s

Also, the main disadvantage of not having "g" connection available is not speed but that all devices connected to a particular access point start operating at 54 Mb/s as soon as a single "b" device connects. Because of this limitation a growing number of access points allow only a "g" type connection.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-02 18:57
I can't believe Se is still stuck with the old standard. That much about a 'for runner' in the field. And let's not fool ourselves - if your internet connection is anything above 2mbit the 'b' standard in a portable device (i.e. cell phone), will slow you down ! I find that even the 'g' standard in a mobile device (n95), will 'bottle neck' if the internet connection is more than 8mbit. Of course, distance and environment can change this figures even more towards 'south'. Nokia will bring out (in a few months) the long awaited WIMAX-mobile standard. We can only hope - things will improve -.
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
leskip
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-02 19:04
I think there are two pars to this problem. Firstly, the board the P1 is built on simply does not have enough bandwidth. That's the reason you won't se HSDPA fitted to these phones any day soon.

Secondly, it appears the WLAN code was compiled in debug mode, because I see all kinds of debug printouts coming over the serial port from the WLAN stack when I debug Escarpod... maybe they fixed that for the W960, which is why it is faster.

Teknolog
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-03 02:15
lol. Really? I.. suppose we should be thankful someone.. at least seems.. to be working on it?

..just one thing about the g-standard thing - most new routers, even very cheap ones, can run in asynch. Instead of reducing the connections for every device on the network to the lowest speed connected. And it's not like you don't get speeds down to a crawl(below b-standard) once in a while just because every connected. unit is a g-standard device. Or like you actually get 54Mbit transfer in practice on anything. Or easily get 10Mbit throughput on wifi without a bit of luck.. And it's pretty common to fit mobile devices, and laptops, with power- saving modems which won't get past the really high speeds.

So - in my opinion, anyway - we shouldn't really have any reason to complain about not getting, you know, soaring wifi speeds. At least not until it's easy and cheap to produce low- power wireless modems that have no weaknesses, and easily connect with any standard, improve the standby time, cure insane in-laws, improve your sun- tan while you sit behind the desk, and things like that..
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-01-03 09:28
hi all ... just got my P1i and i find its wifi very slow and browser very bad,the iphone dose better job
G-Izzat
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-03 09:57

On 2008-01-03 09:28:53, pt020 wrote:
hi all ... just got my P1i and i find its wifi very slow and browser very bad,the iphone dose better job

I too, have just bought the P1i but I find the Wifi quite good in my area and the browser seems to be doing a good job as well. Browsed through a few websites and all seems to be quite well. The Wifi isn't that fast but it's good enough for me.

The browser on the iPhone is indeed much better than the Opera browser on the P1i.
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-03 12:24
Opera Mobile 8.65 is the reason why the web browsing is slow. Not the phone.

By the way Nipsen, great stuff about that paper. This should shut the mouth of some people here

The Unofficial Sony Ericsson Blog | FORUM
Best dedicated blog ever!

[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2008-01-03 11:27 ]
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-01-03 17:01
yeah. But as teknolog says, SE does have some room for improvement on just the code. ..I suppose it's possible to see that when browsing, or when transferring files - that the standard way of dealing with connections seems to make them drop out if there's anything else happening on the phone.

With Opera.. I suppose it could be something like that the program either runs scripts for drawing, or runs things for transfer, and has operations running that has to complete before talking with the wlan api - and therefore interrupting the transfer more than really is necessary. ..In the way that it's really nothing you can do with the program itself to make it run smoother. Something that may or may not possibly be fixed by increasing the ip- stack in some way, or running another separate stack of some sort for wlan, who knows..

Or maybe it would be "better" with higher internal bus- speeds, so you wouldn't really notice..? Or it could be it's just how symbian runs active programs, so no matter how well everything else is programmed, or how good bandwidth you have, you always get these pauses and drops in the response now and then, which would create synch- problems with the access- points, to at least some degree.. *shrug*.

..but my guess would be that if the wlan module was designed to take care of, you know.. several frames from the access point at a time , without interrupting the main program - that might mean some fewer problems..
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-01-03 17:52
If you want to see a definite limitation of P990s speed try the following.
Connect to WLAN and use a program such as Virtual radio to listen to music over the Internet. No problem there.
There is also no problem listening to mp3s or the radio on BT headphones.
However, if you try to use BT headphones together with Virtual radio (WLAN+BT at the same time) it becomes almost impossible to maintain a decent sound flow to the BT headphones.
The P990 processor just can't handle all this.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
MnM
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-27 00:29
Taking about the speed of transfer is there any utility around so that you can measure it directly on the phone. Particularly with the w960 it would be interesting to see the difference between WLAN 7 & 3G (does not seem much). Also you would be able to monitor how long the connections take to make - particularly when the phone has to work through the priorities.

Is there anything out there?
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-27 07:56

On 2008-01-27 00:29:29, MnM wrote:
Taking about the speed of transfer is there any utility around so that you can measure it directly on the phone. Particularly with the w960 it would be interesting to see the difference between WLAN 7 & 3G (does not seem much). Also you would be able to monitor how long the connections take to make - particularly when the phone has to work through the priorities.

Is there anything out there?

You can just check the connection mgr
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
MnM
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-27 10:07
MnM
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-01-27 10:11
Can see the totals for d/l and u/l but no speed. Am I missing something? [addsig]
None2One
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-28 09:26
i want to know how to surf the Internet thru a wlan.

my P1i gets connected but i am not able to browse any website. i get an error that says, cannot locate remote server

please help
Rishone
Z520 black
PM
Posted: 2008-01-28 09:44
@ NoOne2One

Look at my post here

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=163572#post2237751

it will help you.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi