Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Goodbye, my Nokia mistress. Hello again SE, my true love.

Author Goodbye, my Nokia mistress. Hello again SE, my true love.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 18:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@dogmann I admit I misinterpreted your statement, I did think you were talking about SE's generally. But I still think the point stands which is that we are talking about phones generally in this topic not just smartphones.

Anyway sorry for any misunderstanding.

I can't quite agree with you about WAP. The fact is WAP was dead a long time ago. SE non-smartphones have had xhtml support for a long time, and K800 and later have full html support. I admit the latest Nokia browsers do better than SE non-symbian's on things like java script, but they still aren't equivalent to a full PC or MAC web browser.

And by no means can you compare the K800 html support to "WAP".
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 18:21

On 2007-12-07 06:56:13, mib1800 wrote:

2. You can find every app you need in j2me. Then you are really modest in your need. I guess in your case any phone will do. For me, I can't find any java app that do the following (which I have added to my S60):- advanced call filter and in-phone answering machine, threaded sms (like in iphone), scheduled sms sending, reminder for missed call/sms/email, decent full web browser, pdf reader, timed/calendar-based profile auto-change, cell position based app, ebook reader that can handle my 300Mb encylopedia prc file and phone data/file search function.

You are right about integrated phone functions (sms, answering machines etc) - j2me has little support for such functions as yet. However there is a pdf reader for J2ME, and also an ebook reader that can read a 300MB file is theoretically possible, though I know of no actual software available. I have used 10-20MB dictionaries in J2ME no worries, as well as 10-20MB ebooks through readmaniac.

I'm not saying that J2ME is as good an application platform as s60, I'm just saying that you tend to under estimate it's usefullness. There are a whole range of people who like to install useful apps on a phone who are quite happy with the inbuilt phone functions and are not needing third party apps to enhance that functionality. I myself have used WM2002, WM2003, WM5 and S60 2nd edition smartphones and have never actually installed an app that adds to the inbuilt phone functionality.

The fact is some people could have quite high demands of J2ME and not be let down, quite different to the picture you paint of J2ME as being only for those of "Modest Need".

I use J2ME to enhance my K800 extensively: pdf reader, office doc reader, ebook readers, mp3 player and video player (I no longer use the built in - the java versions are better), file encryption, File manager (mini-commander), ftp client, dictionary, map reader, google maps, gmail client (with office doc viewer via online), opera mini web browser, converter apps, DOS emulator (useful for running batch files), rar and zip tools, windows messenger, track id. To name a few..

mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 18:27
@goldenface

I've borrowed by brother's N95/1 and found it cumbersome to use - the UI just didn't flow.

I have the opposite feeling. To me, SE UI feels more laggy than my N95. When I scroll items, the movement of the cursor is like stuttered (i.e. you can virtually see the cursor move from current item to next). On my N95 it is immediate. Same with popup dialog. It is just so irritating with the transition as you virtually need to wait for dialog to finish transitioning.

Another issue I can't get used to is the oversized tab in dialog. The tab is so BIG it just block out screen real estate leaving small area for crucial info.

And the activity menu is more like an after thought. All things are lumped here that it becomes cumbersome (i.e. needing extra keypress to go to relevant tab) to get to what you want .
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 18:46
@max_wedge:

I use J2ME to enhance my K800 extensively: pdf reader, office doc reader, ebook readers, mp3 player and video player (I no longer use the built in - the java versions are better), file encryption, File manager (mini-commander), ftp client, dictionary, map reader, google maps, gmail client (with office doc viewer via online), opera mini web browser, converter apps, DOS emulator (useful for running batch files), rar and zip tools, windows messenger, track id. To name a few..

Can you point to where I can find java pdf reader/ebook viewer (something like mobireader)? Can't find any that works properly in the usual suspect getjar. My friend wanted something in her samsung.

For me, I just cant stand java. It is so slow and looks horrible. Anyway some of the most important app that I need cannot be found in java. I need apps that automate my phone so that I dont have to do mundane stuff (like switching profile or filtering calls)

[ This Message was edited by: mib1800 on 2007-12-07 17:47 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 18:49
@mib1800

From standby I can reach the settings menu in two clicks - [menu] [#]. Now thats quick.

[menu] [0] = Organiser. Or any of my favourites from the shortcut button. This is what I love about the SE UI. After this is very difficult to get used to anything else, making it very easy to use.

Bluetooth a file to friends samsung D*** for instance and watch them go searching for the downloaded file through many clicks.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 20:16
@ mib
you pointed out everything i didn't like in my SE Java phones.
I also find the apps i use the most are not in Java e.g CorePlayer, DivX, SmartMovie, RealPlayer, the proper FULL Opera browser, Symella, Podcasting smoothly and easily etc. . . . And also the great themes that are made for s60 that change even the look of the Music player,and great icons you get for it etc. . . . I WILL NEVER EVER go back to Java unless i get a spare phone, my main phone will always be a Smartphone.

[ This Message was edited by: GUCCI.011 on 2007-12-07 19:31 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 20:40
Here are the things i can do with my smartphone that i cant with a java phone:

1- call filtering programme
2- file hiding/password protecting programme
3- password protecting the phone with a press of 2 clicks
4- wonderful themes that totally change the UI
5- unlimited SMS
6- unlimited no. entries for 1 contact
7- log of all incoming/outgoing communications
8- full HTML browsing, not some half assed ones like in K800

of those 8, atleast 6 are that i certainly need and want and java phones cannot do them.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-08 01:25
@QVGA:

really? can't JP-8 do that? with menu transitions without slowing the phone? with Flash Menus that changes the layout instead of the fixed UI layout, i forgot S60 3.1 has horseshoe and V layout, but is that all it can do? JP-8 is now installable with Flash Menu UI changing the entire Menu UI layout which S60 is behind the most compared to the LG TS phones, iPhone and of course SE JP phones now that's what you call totally change the UI

Aa Goldenface said: most of the menus, sub menus on SE Java UI are accessible with just a press on the number key - a thing S60 can't.

Have wish for this christmas? tell it here - 2 mockup wishes granted, Hoping for

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2007-12-08 00:27 ]
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2007-12-08 01:41
I prefer my N80 over my E65 as the N80 runs more stuff,
my E65 has alot of bugs actually had to get a exchange handset off Vodafone cos it was really annoying me, even still the replacement phone has the same firmware as the old one, it cannot be updated over at Nokia cos theres no updates for it.

what ive done is contact Nokia which they responded very quickley by telling me to take it into my nearest Service centre,

after a search my nearest one is "Intercity Communications Birmingham",
so emailed them to see whether they update it for me there and then fingers crossed as ive not even used the phone yet nor removed the protective sticky things I don't want it being sent off to Vodafone for weeks lol

btw doing this wont fudge up my warranty will it with Vodafone? anyone know?
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-12-08 02:53

On 2007-12-07 18:49:10, goldenface wrote:
@mib1800

From standby I can reach the settings menu in two clicks - [menu] [#]. Now thats quick.

[menu] [0] = Organiser. Or any of my favourites from the shortcut button. This is what I love about the SE UI. After this is very difficult to get used to anything else, making it very easy to use.

Menu key shortcuts are also available in S60 (i.e. menu + position key) . SE UI is worse as it needs more key press. E.g. [menu][0] to go to Organiser. And further keypress to scroll to "calendar/calculator" etc and another one to select. Thats total from 3 to 9 keypresses.

If I arrange my icons in S60 menu, the "calendar/calculator/clock/notes" etc is opened with exactly 2 keypress. I will never need more than 3 keypress to have an app started in S60 period. SE UI still has a very long way to catch up in usability

QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-08 07:52

On 2007-12-08 01:25:52, razec wrote:
@QVGA:

really? can't JP-8 do that? with menu transitions without slowing the phone? with Flash Menus that changes the layout instead of the fixed UI layout, i forgot S60 3.1 has horseshoe and V layout, but is that all it can do? JP-8 is now installable with Flash Menu UI changing the entire Menu UI layout which S60 is behind the most compared to the LG TS phones, iPhone and of course SE JP phones now that's what you call totally change the UI

Aa Goldenface said: most of the menus, sub menus on SE Java UI are accessible with just a press on the number key - a thing S60 can't.

Have wish for this christmas? tell it here - 2 mockup wishes granted, Hoping for

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2007-12-08 00:27 ]

can you have custom icons on K850?
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-08 08:16

On 2007-12-08 07:52:16, QVGA wrote:

What do you mean custom icons? changing the icons of the menu? Menu modding can can do that how about S60? can they have better layouts other than the nasty horseshoe and the V style? can the currently available S60(3.1) have full menu animations/transitions?
10 years at Esato
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-08 08:47

On 2007-12-08 08:16:30, razec wrote:

On 2007-12-08 07:52:16, QVGA wrote:

What do you mean custom icons? changing the icons of the menu? Menu modding can can do that how about S60? can they have better layouts other than the nasty horseshoe and the V style? can the currently available S60(3.1) have full menu animations/transitions?

no, thats built in the OS so that doesnt count. I mean, when making a theme for K800, can you make icons of your choice?
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-12-08 08:58

On 2007-12-08 08:16:30, razec wrote:

You can mod menu in SE UI. But can you have icon packs in SE UI? ie. Can each theme have its own different icon pack?

horseshoe/V style? Who still use that? S60 menu is a 4X3 grid. . Yes S60 got icon animation and it can be turn on/off. Like SE A200 platform, S60 can have custom built flash menu. Come to think of it, you can even replace the entire s60 phone desktop if you want. There are quite a few 3rd party apps (native/flash) which provide custom desktop. There is even one that mimics WM desktop.

sranjanm2002
W995 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-08 10:57
Thank God ! You are late but at the right place finally.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic