Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Goodbye, my Nokia mistress. Hello again SE, my true love.

Author Goodbye, my Nokia mistress. Hello again SE, my true love.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 01:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I understood exactly what you were saying dogmann.

Hlcn_twst started this thread on the premise that he was going back to a non-smartphone SE over an s60 smartphone, so comparing boot speeds of smart to non-smartphones is relevant to the discussion.

I never said that Nokia didn't have the faster booting smartphones, I was simply comparing ONLY the boot times of phones, regardless of being a smartphone or not.

The K800 takes 25 seconds to boot without flight mode prompt. If you were after a new SE and didn't want a smartphone, but boot time was important, then the comparison is fair.

Also you rarely need to restart a non-smartphone to flush memory, the way you often need to do with s60. Actually I'm even finding my WM5 handset doesn't need restarting that often.

So I'm wondering why is a fast boot time so important to you
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 02:24

On 2007-12-07 00:50:31, sapporobaby wrote:
Not to pile on here Max, but the days of the truly dumb phone is numbered.
When you can have a smartphone as fast and stable as my iPhone, what have an underpowered, Java crunching phone? My iPhone does not hang, crash, fart, burp, spit up, or do any of those unpleasant things. I will take a S60 powered phone any day over a run of the mill Java phone. There is simply no comparison.

Really? sorry, i doubt it by far J2ME is still the most robust platforms around. i dont know where did you get that kind of impression as J2ME is still the fastest growing Platform and has the largest support for manufacturers as well and oh i forgot why did symbian still got no decent interface transitions? i know S60 3.2 and touch features them but Java has been reigning for User interface for so long that s60 before and still atm haven't got some sleeves to beat that and i think the dumb phone you're referring to was the phone platform that does not support either Java or Symbian or WM or Linux

10 years at Esato
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 02:45
I've had an E50 too back then . . . LIKED it's SLEEK-design and compact-over-all features . . . however, since I am a camera-guy, it's 1.3 MP camera was way too BAD to capture images at my standards

But the BEST thing that I've experienced with that fone is it's capability to READ SMS in VOICE (Voice Message Feature) . . . also, when browsing the menu. I guess this was made for BLIND-users

I can say that it's one of the BEST fones I've had for now . . . [addsig]
JuanPablo
W610 Orange
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 02:52
Welcome back

And plese, never go to the "dark side" again
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 02:57

On 2007-12-07 02:52:50, JuanPablo wrote:
Welcome back

And plese, never go to the \"dark side\" again

@juan- There are times that there is LIGHT too in the DAR side . . .and when I said - LIGHTS, I mean: Christmas LIGHTS ! [addsig]
JuanPablo
W610 Orange
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 02:59

On 2007-12-07 02:57:22, *Jojo* wrote:

@juan- There are times that there is LIGHT too in the DAR side . . .and when I said - LIGHTS, I mean: Christmas LIGHTS !

I don't like Xmas, sorry

Happy to stay here right now
driftmania
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 03:04

On 2007-12-06 22:10:30, mweb6161 wrote:

On 2007-12-06 22:05:44, goldenface wrote:
Esato will always be for SE phones first and foremost - the physical structure of the forum shows that.

All thats happened is SE is going for growth for the past few quarters and has been churning out mainly mid-tier phones, which has been painful for dedicated SE fans but great for those over on the dark side - sneering and waving N95s and N81s around.

Re, N81, if i had an overweight, overpriced plasticky lump with a dire 2mp non AF cam, i would be well inclined to keep it hidden under the table .

You mean a W910i? Or perhaps the S500i/W580i?
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 03:04
SE J2ME phones have the fastest interfaces before it was overthrown by the RAZR2 which has no animations in the menu but has a 500Mhz CPU!
10 years at Esato
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 06:56
@Hlcn Twst:

Let me get this straight.

1. You migrate from the "older" S60 platform E50 to a SE because S60 is slow and you wanted better speed. Have you heard or try newer S60 like 6120/6290/N76/N81/N82/N95/E51? These S60 are very fast phones and some are even faster that SE newest kid on the block K850 .

2. You can find every app you need in j2me. Then you are really modest in your need. I guess in your case any phone will do. For me, I can't find any java app that do the following (which I have added to my S60):- advanced call filter and in-phone answering machine, threaded sms (like in iphone), scheduled sms sending, reminder for missed call/sms/email, decent full web browser, pdf reader, timed/calendar-based profile auto-change, cell position based app, ebook reader that can handle my 300Mb encylopedia prc file and phone data/file search function.

I guess if phone buyers comes to know about the cheapo 6120 can do all those things I mentioned above then it maybe their opinion about S60 will be different.

gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 07:29
i'm contemplating to do the exact opposite of what Hlcn Twst did... too bad the n81 doesn't have AF...
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 07:37
@Hlcn Twst

I think ur deluded,For ex if u take E51 and all latest nseries devices userinterface is really fast

And u may see it urselves from the review of E51
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e51-review-193.php

And E series is also very capable buisness device

heres a Conclusive comment on E51 From Gsmarena
Each of Nokia's Enterprise devices has its strengths, but usually at the expense of a few compromises. The stylish Nokia E51 proves to be a well-balanced performer that will certainly meet the contemporary business requirements. Fine looks are just an added gain.

Nokia E51 might be the right bestseller stuff not only for business, but for regular users too, for its all-purpose applicability. The 350 USD price tag sure adds to that excitement. With E51 there's one more pro on offer.

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 08:54
@Max Wedge

Sorry Max but you actually said

"@dogmann, you claim an SE takes longer than 35 seconds to boot, but actually my K800 takes exactly 30 seconds including the flight mode prompt. If you disable the flight mode prompt at boot, it's something like 20 seconds."

Which i very obviously from looking at my post have never said any such thing did i? and if i did please show me where or retract this statement as it is quite clearly inaccurate. You are well aware how i feel about people claiming i have said or implied things i clearly haven't.

You then go to say

"The K800 takes 25 seconds to boot without flight mode prompt. If you were after a new SE and didn't want a smartphone, but boot time was important, then the comparison is fair."

Now with this statement i really am shocked as i had no idea that my allegedly slow S60 smart phone booted faster than a K800 and as the K850 is slower that to. So just how are S60 smart phones so slow then if my current smart phone boots faster then these two dumb Java based phones and even my older smart phones with only an extra 5 seconds for a smart phone couldn't really be considered slow either. Also it is not me that keeps saying how slow S60 is it is others and it appears they are all wrong now to.

As for what you say here with

"Also you rarely need to restart a non-smartphone to flush memory, the way you often need to do with s60. Actually I'm even finding my WM5 handset doesn't need restarting that often."

Really are sure? that may of well been the case in the past but is no longer true at all as i have 90mb Ram free on Boot up and even with 14 programs running in the background still have 78mb Ram free after even 10 days plus.
I admit it used to be necessary but now due to sufficient installed Ram and the addition of Demand Paging is no longer necessary.

Which means my S60 smart phone now starts faster than your java based dumb phone and can stay up and running as long as it to.

As according to the SE website and what some have said you are advised to restart your K850 to free up memory so that's not quite true either is it. As it says quite clearly here with.

If you haven't restarted your phone for a while, you may experience problems with its memory capacity and speed. The phone is an advanced communications device, rather like a personal computer, and requires some maintenance. Restarting the phone will free memory blocks, which will improve the phone's capacity.

Which can be found at this link to the SE website just for verification i am not making things up.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/c[....]oubleshooter/k850i?cc=gb&lc=en

If you remember when you were explaining how good new Java phones were going to be and overtake smart phones i did explain that smart phones were not going to stand still but would also evolve and it seems they have evolved faster with bigger and more significant gains. Also the only reason i now say how fast a smart phone is not because of how important it is to me but because you and others are always going on about how slow they are. Which no longer seems to hold true does it?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-12-07 08:08 ]
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 17:11
Newer S60 Nokia's are of course faster than the old ones. But S60 is still sluggish for performing basic telephony functions, like opening Contacts or starting a new SMS. Because S60 treats these as "applications" that must be "loaded." Compare that to a "dumbphone," where these basics are integrated into the interface and thus have ~0 startup time.

This is what aggravated me about smartphones in general, and S60 in particular. They can do 1 million and 1 things, except work laglessly as mobile phones.

And my needs are, I suppose, modest. (And in one case, totally unmet by S60!) But part of that modesty is the hard realization that there really is only so much you can actually do on a numeric keypad and a < 3" screen. Some things are best left to desktop & laptop computers.

As for Nokia's new haptic touchscreen, if it's still running S60V3, Apple has absolutely nothing to worry about. S60 looks, feels, and runs a lot like Windows 3.1 from 1992. I would be on an iPhone forum right now, were it not for the iPhone's neglect of some very basic features (e.g. uncrippled , MMS, voice dialing...).

So until the iPhone matures to where I'd like it, it's feature phones for me. And that means all the way.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 17:20
I sort of had the same experience with the P990i smartphone. It couldn't come close to the A100 for basic calling, texting, changing settings etc and I think this ease of use was sacrificed.

So I found out I had a phone with great capability that lagged doing the simplest of things. A200 is a breeze to use. I've borrowed by brother's N95/1 and found it cumbersome to use - the UI just didn't flow.
croatia
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 17:23
JUST,WELCOME BACK ON S.E. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic