Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Goodbye, my Nokia mistress. Hello again SE, my true love.

Author Goodbye, my Nokia mistress. Hello again SE, my true love.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-12-06 20:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Cheers Matey's,

Got to drop in here as well. I am still quite happy with my E61. It boots slow but damn is it rock solid. No reboots, no dropped calls. Wifi is spot on. The E90 is not bad either. Never hangs, no reboots, etc... The iPhone (should be called: iPod with phone) is also stable and not bad. SE simply falls short in most things, in my opinion, and is simply not bothered with customer demands. SE will continue to make the same looking phones and selling them as new.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
bearcub24
W890 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-12-06 21:28
Must admit initially the E50 is nothing great to look at, had no choice in mine as it was given to me by work on a Vodafone corporate account but its served me very well for the past year and never let me down, call quality has been exceptional, the shape of it feels good in the hand, and it feels well built. Its maybe just a little dull.
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-06 21:33
I wonder how an - supportive thread brought out all the Nokia users... on an forum

What happened while I was gone?
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-12-06 21:35
this is no longer a mainly s.e forum anymore, its a mixture of all mobile companies.

On 2007-12-06 21:33:10, Hlcn Twst wrote:
I wonder how an - supportive thread brought out all the Nokia users... on an forum

bearcub24
W890 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-12-06 21:45
Well I'm on here because I've always had SE's and mostly with a few exceptions been totally happy with them, but I'm not blind to other manufacturers, lika I say the E50 wouldn't have been my choice but I was given one and its been a good dependable handset.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-12-06 22:05
Esato will always be for SE phones first and foremost - the physical structure of the forum shows that.

All thats happened is SE is going for growth for the past few quarters and has been churning out mainly mid-tier phones, which has been painful for dedicated SE fans but great for those over on the dark side - sneering and waving N95s and N81s around.

MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-06 22:10

On 2007-12-06 22:05:44, goldenface wrote:
Esato will always be for SE phones first and foremost - the physical structure of the forum shows that.

All thats happened is SE is going for growth for the past few quarters and has been churning out mainly mid-tier phones, which has been painful for dedicated SE fans but great for those over on the dark side - sneering and waving N95s and N81s around.

Re, N81, if i had an overweight, overpriced plasticky lump with a dire 2mp non AF cam, i would be well inclined to keep it hidden under the table .
N95 was a groundbreaker that SE are still trying to emulate however.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-12-06 23:20
Lol N81 aint just a lump with a non AF 2MP cam, its a great Multimedia Device for people like me who couldnt give a dam about a high res camera. Imagine it had a 3.2mp AF cam? SE would realy be dying!
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-06 23:58

On 2007-12-06 21:33:10, Hlcn Twst wrote:

Funny that!

I happen to agree very strongly with your experience with the Nokia UI, and it's the primary reason I stick to SE. SE simply have the best UI going.

As for smartphones, I find WM touchscreen phones about a 1000 times more flexible than any symbian phone, but again if I was to choose a symbian it would be a UIQ simply because of SE's UI philosophy. Non-touchscreen smartphones such as Nokia, or even WM non-touchscreens, really don't appeal to me. They are rather pointless in my view, especially when JAVA is so mature these days.

For me a mobile phone for daily use, and a PDA with an inbuilt mobile phone, are two different devices. There is no WM device I know of with a decent camera, so I continue to maintain two phones.

The closest temptation for me is the P1, since it has touchscreen, wifi and a decent camera, but poor application support, and the best apps you have to pay for (very little freeware available for either symbian flavours)

So for now it's my trusty K series (currently a K800) for mobile phone/camera/multimedia, and a WM device for my PDA and mobile software needs. When a K series UIQ3 TS device comes out, I will be finally tempted to combine both device needs into one. I will lose access to the great range of WM freeware, but that's life.

@dogmann, you claim an SE takes longer than 35 seconds to boot, but actually my K800 takes exactly 30 seconds including the flight mode prompt. If you disable the flight mode prompt at boot, it's something like 20 seconds.

You claim WM takes over 1 minute, but that's only if the device has had the battery removed or after a soft reboot, and even then it only takes 40 seconds, not 1 minute. In normal use, my HP HW6965 takes exactly 1/2 a second to recover from suspend mode (PPC's run in suspend mode all the time, they never shutdown unless they run out of battery or the battery is removed). Beat that
SilveR.
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 00:01
Not for all..

There is still lot of user prefer SE UI.

I mean I still did pick W910 before N seriers. price is low priority for me..

Design, UI goes first..

At last, we got lot of Nokia users here.. but this is still main SE forum..
---------------------
K800i K750i W910i W880i
---------------------
We All know, Cash is the King!

[ This Message was edited by: SilveR. on 2007-12-06 23:14 ]
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 00:06

@dogmann, you claim an SE takes longer than 35 seconds to boot, but actually my K800 takes exactly 30 seconds including the flight mode prompt. If you disable the flight mode prompt at boot, it's something like 20 seconds.

Come on Max. The K800 isn't a smart phone and you know this, we are mixing apples and oranges. In my experience, UIQ is slower. The new Nokia devices have dynamic memory and they boot really fast. No smart phone on the market can boot faster (currently).

By the way Max, Nokia will be releasing a TS screen rather soon. A friend of mine that (let's say) is in the biz, showed me a prototype and it will smoke what there now (can you say, bye bye iPhone), and ANYTHING SE has to offer. Nokia has stepped up to the plate and they mean business. This is a good thing all around for SE fans and Nokia guys as well. The better the competition, hopefully the better the phones will be. Key word being: hopefully.

Cheer Max. You been behaving?

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 00:22

On 2007-12-07 00:06:38, sapporobaby wrote:
Come on Max. The K800 isn't a smart phone and you know this, we are mixing apples and oranges. In my experience, UIQ is slower. The new Nokia devices have dynamic memory and they boot really fast. No smart phone on the market can boot faster (currently).

yes as may be, but hlcn_twst is talking about going back to a non-smartphone from a Nokia smartphone, so the better boot time of non-smartphone SE's may well be a relevant factor. So in this case comparing apples to oranges is relevant.

But overall I don't really rate fast boot times, since I rarely turn my phones off. So what if it takes one phone 10 seconds more than another? It's just doesn't matter to me.

By the way Max, Nokia will be releasing a TS screen rather soon. A friend of mine that (let's say) is in the biz, showed me a prototype and it will smoke what there now (can you say, bye bye iPhone), and ANYTHING SE has to offer. Nokia has stepped up to the plate and they mean business. This is a good thing all around for SE fans and Nokia guys as well. The better the competition, hopefully the better the phones will be. Key word being: hopefully.

I agree that competition will improve the breed, however I still reckon the Nokia UI will suck! My PRIMARY reason for not liking Nokia has nothing to do with their technology, which I don't have a problem with, but their UI which I just don't like.

Cheer Max. You been behaving?

As little as necessary.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 00:32
@max_wedge

I made sure to point out i was talking about Smart phones everyone knows or should know a non smart phone boots faster and i really can't believe you could imagine i was talking about anything other than smart phones as i haven't had a non smart phone since owning a Sony UX-40 and a V3.

Especially as this is what i said which looks perfectly clear to me so really can't understand how you have misunderstood exactly what i have said.

" really fail to see how you can say S60 boots slow for a smart phone my current device of choice is just 22seconds and my previous S60's all around 35seconds max, just what smart phones boot faster than this then? SE's at a minute approx? WM6?.

Dumb phones may well do but i could never make do with WAP or just J2ME well not for my needs. I never used Wap when it launched or was the only option as IMO it's just rubbish."

I stand by what i said what smart phone boots faster than my N958gb which takes 22seconds? anyone got anything then?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-12-06 23:33 ]
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 00:50
Not to pile on here Max, but the days of the truly dumb phone is numbered. When you can have a smartphone as fast and stable as my iPhone, what have an underpowered, Java crunching phone? My iPhone does not hang, crash, fart, burp, spit up, or do any of those unpleasant things. I will take a S60 powered phone any day over a run of the mill Java phone. There is simply no comparison.

MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 01:01
Well Sappy, S60 is merely ONE of many various attributes that certain modern devices can possess, how one values that feature/function is entirely down to the individual users needs and preferences.
Also the majority of S60 handsets tend to be placed in the mid-high price sector, budgetary restrictions can and do prevent the majority of buyers from purchasing a smartphone.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic