Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Goodbye, my Nokia mistress. Hello again SE, my true love.

Author Goodbye, my Nokia mistress. Hello again SE, my true love.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-13 00:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
yes, but only viewable in active standby, not while in other menu screens or screensaver.

Actually it's possible to have similiar functionality active standby on K800/K850 with a java standby app (mobytoday). However I agree that it would be nice if A200 had a proper native active standby screen.

@dogmann, I agree the long press is no big deal, but if people are gonna compare menu's on the basis of one click here or there, then afaik a long click is more cumbersome than a short click. It wouldn't worry me personally, I'm just making the observation. To me a long press takes as almost as long and as much forethought as a button press followed by a right or left joystick movement and roughly equates in efficiency (though I agree there is a marginal improvement in the long press). My point is that one press to access running apps and two presses to access shortcuts, compared to s60 long press to access running apps and one press to standby (for standby favourites) there is not much difference in efficency and comes down to user preference.

Yes the search feature is nice, no doubt. Personally though I don't like search based enquiries. I much rather know what I want and go straight to it with a few clicks. Activity menu is good IMHO because it gathers everything in one place (exactly the same reason mib says he dislikes it). Far from being cluttered I see it as organised and coherant.

Also mib, the activity menu is task orientated, since it defaults to running apps if they are running, or if you have it setup to default to the events tab on active events, you will then get active events when you press AM. So there is a degree of predictiveness built in to the AM. Myself, when I use AM 50% of the time I'm accessing a running app. The other 50% of the time it's to access shortcut list, so if I have apps running and don't want to task switch to them it's only one more press to access the shortcut list. So I disable the defaulting to the events tab so that the active events tab doesn't get in my face when I use AM.

Overall I agree that s60 has some nice features, such as active standby, one press dedicated main menu button (however I prefer activity menu if I have to have one or the other - personally I'd like to see the "internet" button on SE mobile's configurable as main menu by user choice), and the configurability of the main menu and submenus.

I'd also like to see support for shortcuts to java apps, since J2ME is the only app platform on A100/A200 phones.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-12-12 23:36 ]
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 12:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I am using my first Nokia since the T68,the n95 was the perfect choice compared to k850 in terms of price,I am enjoying this phone with it's big screen,wifi and video capabilities...but it's weird but I am already missing SE world,it's small things like: battery life,plastic materials,logic menu,a far better theme maker(carbide is so huge that you need 1 week to do a theme while you can do it in 15min with SE theme maker),camera quality in terms of night shots(not the led/xenon dilemna but the flares caused by artificial lights)...
So if the price of the K850 drop to 400$ instead of 550$ the coming 2 months I will return too to SE world
Prince Vegeta,prince of all sayans
Administrator in Dailymobile
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic