Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Alarm not working when P1 is switched off

Author Alarm not working when P1 is switched off
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 10:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Boinng

LOL!

You know what else? when my p1 is switched off I can't send a SMS! terrible! I type and type but nothing happens!

[ This Message was edited by: pnf1973 on 2007-12-04 09:58 ]
pwwn3d
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 16:55
There obviously is something ticking over, how else would the clock keep time. Surely something could reasonably easily be integrated to switch the phone on (to the pre-fully booted, charging state say 30 seconds before an alarm or other event is due) and then have Symbian itself ring the actual alarm?

The phone could say, tell the hardware that it wishes to set the next automatically triggered power-up just before power off. After the alarm has rung, the phone could re-set this flag and time for the next event, and shut itself off again.

I guess the newer Symbian Nokia's do something like this anyway.
michael the mage
Z800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-04 17:16
Well, on my Z800 the phone is NOT switched on, BUT the alarm rings anyways. You can snooze and/or turn it off, however the phone still is OFF.

Anyways, why would one need that really.... do those people have digital alarm clocks and after setting an alarm turn the alarm clock off???

Come on there are more important things and issues that need attention [addsig]
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-05 00:16
Oh, no. This is proof SE makes crap phones, and should be harped on for months until SE wises up and respects their customers - and makes them an alarm clock! Really, paying 400 € and NOT GETTING AN ALARM CLOCK THAT WORKS! SE stinks! And nokia doesn't, because they HAVE an alarm clock! HAHA!

But yeah, it could be implemented with an electronic switch the same way as the power- button. Only the switch would be triggered by some counter. (..But it would need extra wiring, switches and modules).
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 01:27
I've TRIED setting the alarm ONCE with my P990i . . . turned the fone OFF overnight and did NOT alarm @ 1 am I'm NOT sure though if I have configured something wrong with the settings [addsig]
michael the mage
Z800
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 01:53
Okay, for all those people that need an alarm clock to set the time and then TURN the clock off .... but still need it to alarm you.... duh....:

you set the alarm with P990i (make sure yo KNOW how to set it correct, the time and day of week...etc.!) then,

t u r n the phone off.... and plug it into the charger and outlet for charging, ot the cradle which needs to be plugged in the power outlet too!

Then... oh wonder... it WILL INDEED GIVE YOU THE ALARM depsite its OFF

I have just tried this for all you poor souls that have to shut off the phone!

Regards

PS
This is for the P990i phone.. .but should actuallz work with the P1 too!

[ This Message was edited by: michael the mage on 2007-12-05 00:55 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-05 02:08
Or...something simpler... don't turn off your mobile. I really don't know why this is an issue. Why would you turn off the P1i in the first place? The power saving capabilities are far better than an archaic "turn off to save battery power" feature.

The P1i doesn't need to be shut down to save power... just stop fiddling with the screen and it actually behaves as if it were off.

This whole issue of "turn off to save power" is as archaic as manually parking a hard drive. Why bother, when the phone already does it on its own when you leave it on standby.

There's also Flight Mode if the whole purpose is to not receive calls but still have your alarm clock.

For those who know how to use the advanced functions of the P1i, there is an accepted caller list so that only certain people may call you (in the event of an emergency) ... something that can't be done if your phone is off.
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 02:08
@ Mike the Mage

Does the charger have to be powered, i.e. do the mains need to be turned on? Because if that is the case then there is a slight problem to the logic because when you charge the UIQ phones from what i gather they partly turn on and load various bits and pieces.

Thus it is not in a state of "off" also by having the phone charging when not needed you ruin the battery.

The problem here is the alarm will not ring when the phone is "off", as i am sure has been mentioned in this thread if on charge the phone does indeed turn itself on and ring the alarm as needed.
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 02:26

On 2007-12-05 01:53:53, michael the mage wrote:

you set the alarm with P990i (make sure yo KNOW how to set it correct, the time and day of week...etc.!) then,

@mike - YES, it's working just FINE for MONTHs . . . however the FONE is switched - ON . . . when I once tried the ALARM in OFF mode . . . it did NOT SOUND [addsig]
SIGHUP
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 02:49
Again with the proverbial "taking features for granted."

Look, it doesn't take much imagination to see where it would be useful to have an alarm when the phone is off. Well, I guess than in itself is not possible since these other phones that have an alarm while "off" are not really OFF. But in a comatose-standby mode.

In any case, let me illustrate to you where "off" would come in handy. I currently use, a W850i and a Nokia N73. I am stateside and both of these phones use the 2100 European band. I love the battery life on the W850, but no 850 or EDGE. Alas, the N73 HAS this requirement, but its rather clunky and battery life isn't as good. So I switch between phones left and right. The other night, I switched the sim from W850i to N73, I was (ironically) reading this website and others. But without knowing it I fell asleep since i was dead tired.

Finally thanks to the recurring alarm on the W850i when its "off" I wasn't late the next day for work since it woke me up.

Not necessarily a bad case scenario, but it did happen this morning. I forgot to turn off alarm on W850i, switched my sim card into N73. This morning I had two alarms!

One really handy case is when your battery is going to die, but no way or recharging. So you turn your phone "off" and it wakes you up the next day, tada!
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-05 02:54
Or during a meeting, or movie and you're asked to switch your phone off as not to disturb anyone and your alarm still goes off...
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 03:03
Some people, like me, have always had phones where the alarm rings whilst they are switched off. These people, like me, find the P1i alarm a bit odd, after all WHY does the phone need to be in 'flight mode' lighting up the room and draining the battery??? Then there are others who have always had phones that need to be switched on in order for the alarm to work. These people wonder what all the fuss is about because they are used to this system and have experience of no other. The bottom-line is that the P1i alarm functions when the handset is on or in flight mode. I don't like it that way but that's the way it is folks. How it can possibly be an 'advantage' I don't know. Remember, some other phones ring the alarm whether they are switched on OR off - the choice is yours!
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-05 03:16

On 2007-12-05 03:03:48, sunking101 wrote:
Remember, some other phones ring the alarm whether they are switched on OR off - the choice is yours!

Agreed. I've had both types of phones (::: R520m alarms worked while the phone was off as well) and if that particular function is the most important one to you, then the P1i isn't for you. Personally, I never really understood why people shut off their phones to begin with... maybe it's also because they're used to phones that aren't battery efficient enough that "switching it off" is an advantage.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 04:24

On 2007-12-05 03:03:48, sunking101 wrote:
Some people, like me, have always had phones where the alarm rings whilst they are switched off. These people, like me, find the P1i alarm a bit odd, after all WHY does the phone need to be in 'flight mode' lighting up the room and draining the battery???

Is this a problem with the P1i? My trusty old P990i can run for days in flight mode and the display will be off unless I touch the phone.

SE's smartphones are not the only ones sharing this "problem" with the phone having to be switched on for the alarm to work. All Windows Mobile PocketPC's I have tried share the same "problem".
neowolvrne
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-12-05 08:03
Hey,

When I got my new SE P1 a few months ago, I went ahead and transferred all of my files from my W810i to my P1. When I was done with my transfer I powered off my W810i and put it in the P1 box. The next morning I did hear my alarm but it was not coming from the P1 that sitting on my dresser but it was coming from the W810i that was in the box on the floor.

Hope this helps
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi