Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SAD SE 2007 Portfolio-Hard to digest facts

Previous  123 ... 101112 ... 161718  Next
Author SAD SE 2007 Portfolio-Hard to digest facts
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 04:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Max With all respect - what makes you think Se is popular? Market share below 10%. Third quarter profit dropped by a third. You call that 'popular' ?
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 05:19

On 2007-10-17 04:32:33, mario2004 wrote:
@Max With all respect - what makes you think Se is popular? Market share below 10%. Third quarter profit dropped by a third. You call that 'popular' ?

"Market share below 10%. Third quarter profit dropped by a third. You call that 'popular'"

--> so that's your point why SE isn't popular? i don't know where you lived from but i'm sure there are people who uses SE and who knows T610,K750,K700,T68i and it's brothers i.e. "walkman" "Cybershot" and the P-series.
10 years at Esato
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 12:14
K850I problems arise as soon as release dark pictures,bulky,keypad build quality,camera shutter doesnt open properly ,bottom of the phone creeky
and wobbly,fingerprint magnet and easily gets scratched.Durability of
phone is sad to predict after 6months of the phone users may face few more design issues and flaws .Overall there are many unsatisifed users.

what else to say

Another Sony ericsson mystery

After so much delay they only could come up with this faullty design and flaws,as per many user i found they say they are waiting for "k860i".
cool

This is the only cybershot high end according to sony ericsson managed to release this year after so much of delay.

The SAD SE portfolio of 2007 contnious................

Hmm w960i .....well highly doubt that....

"SE dont plung ur market shares again"
C905
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 12:26

On 2007-10-17 12:14:02, arunvc wrote:
K850I problems arise as soon as release dark pictures,bulky,keypad build quality,camera shutter doesnt open properly ,bottom of the phone creeky
phone is sad to predict after 6months of the phone users may face few more design issues and flaws .Overall there are many unsatisifed users.

what else to say

After so much delay they only could come up with this faullty design and flaws,as per many user i found they say they are waiting for "k860i".
cool

This is the only cybershot high end according to sony ericsson managed to release this year after so much of delay.

every phone has small problems.
i dont think you have heard about n95, but it did also have many problems
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 12:48

On 2007-10-17 12:14:02, arunvc wrote:

what else to say

cool

bulky? really? what phone do you use? W800? or W880? or Samsung U100?

"Overall there are many unsatisifed users"

You can't say that unless you have a proof that people hates it or i should think that you base your post in emotional prejudices
10 years at Esato
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 13:15
@razec

Sorry but there are too much evidence from SE centric forum like esato
Here are few from esato
1)
I just bought this phone
Quite impressive but when the meanwhile i actiavted the phone camera mode,
it make me dissapointed.
Cyber-Shot is just the name but the reality the photo is not that nice as expected.
Video recording is sux,sux to the max!!!
Gosh,i'm so regret to get this phone..
The screen resolution sux,colours sux...
The only thing that impress me is the outlook..
i recommend u guys better get a N95 because i compared photo with my friends mine looks sux because the colours is just 265k :/
ill get a N95 and sell off this outdated phone

2)from esato
My own personal view is that yes there are a few bugs in the software, but you get this with every new phone and not just this one.

Regarding the Camera problem, I have seen a couple on hear mention the problem with the Camera Shutter not working correctly,

3)From esato
Sizewise, it feels slightly more bulky and someone commented earlier that I
had a new brick

4)Esato
Is it only mine??? But the back cover is kinda loose close to the battery flip. Feels like a cheap

5)Esato
I've emailed SE, so have to wait to see what their saying... But if this is the new standard, SE will sink pretty soon

6)Eato
It's the same on my K850i...and it squeeks if you press the back cover just beneath the speaker

7)from GSM Arena
The design of the battery cover is a nice novelty, but we think it has one disadvantage. The lower end of the rear panel wobbles noticeably when typing on the keypad.

esato
Posted: 2007-10-15 22:44
i had a chance to hold the handset yesterday.i feel the buttons on the handset feel too cheap and plasticy

9)I used a K850 yesterday , and the same thing happened with me while i was typing a message , a little sound that kept on coming whenever i was pressing a button ...

10 esato
I dinīt like it either, not at that price.
Uncomfortable buttons and a fingerprint magnet.
I really hope there will come a K860 or something.

11) have to say I'm not a fan either, put mine straight on eBay.

12)the bit to the left of the light sensor if you look at the phone from the back (lenghways) when you push it in squeeks

13)ugh, this sounds crap, currently have a k810i which i love to peices - my work offered to get me a company phone of my choice, so i thought of going for either a k850i or a p1i, looks like ill be going for the p1i! any word about this being a bad batch or it getting sorted?

14)Never liked the phone from day 1 when its spy pic started to surface in the rumors section. I remember hoping it wouldn't get to be a working unit and I remember many others beings worried as well. Now the design has actually been approved, and my nightmare came true. I don't know about its ergonomics or functionality but it's not an issue to me when its shell design failed to meet my beauty-o-meter minimum to begin with. Simply ugly, only next to E90-now that's a phone I'd never want to be caught dead with, but that's a different topic.

15)don't like that small hinged cover because if you drop the phone on the floor and it fall on this cover, it will break.

Think i'll stick with my k800i for a while.

16)the camera shutter. I think this problem is a batch problem, I had it occur to me and so has one other member on here I think, and I believe that member also had trouble with a sqeaky casing which I've suffered with. I think the two are linked and are down to a manufacturing fault in that particular batch. If you get yours over the nxt week or so chances are that batch will have cleared through the systems and yours will be fine

17)I hope firmware tweaks can improve the image quality, because for the first time in my life, I can honestly say that the G600, Viewty and N95 all take better pictures than the K850i

18)The camera shots I've taken in my house tonight in darkish light are a little fuzzy to be honest. I'm sure a play with the camera will reveal better pictures, but it was a little dissapointing.

Sorry for small list will post few more soon
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 13:23

On 2007-10-17 13:15:56, arunvc wrote:
@razec

Sorry but there are too much evidence from SE centric forum like esato
Here are few from esato
1)
I just bought this phone
Quite impressive but when the meanwhile i actiavted the phone camera mode,
it make me dissapointed.
Cyber-Shot is just the name but the reality the photo is not that nice as expected.
Video recording is sux,sux to the max!!!
Gosh,i'm so regret to get this phone..
The screen resolution sux,colours sux...
The only thing that impress me is the outlook..
i recommend u guys better get a N95 because i compared photo with my friends mine looks sux because the colours is just 265k :/
ill get a N95 and sell off this outdated phone

2)from esato
My own personal view is that yes there are a few bugs in the software, but you get this with every new phone and not just this one.

Regarding the Camera problem, I have seen a couple on hear mention the problem with the Camera Shutter not working correctly,

3)From esato
Sizewise, it feels slightly more bulky and someone commented earlier that I
had a new brick

4)Esato
Is it only mine??? But the back cover is kinda loose close to the battery flip. Feels like a cheap

5)Esato
I've emailed SE, so have to wait to see what their saying... But if this is the new standard, SE will sink pretty soon

6)Eato
It's the same on my K850i...and it squeeks if you press the back cover just beneath the speaker

7)from GSM Arena
The design of the battery cover is a nice novelty, but we think it has one disadvantage. The lower end of the rear panel wobbles noticeably when typing on the keypad.

esato
Posted: 2007-10-15 22:44
i had a chance to hold the handset yesterday.i feel the buttons on the handset feel too cheap and plasticy

9)I used a K850 yesterday , and the same thing happened with me while i was typing a message , a little sound that kept on coming whenever i was pressing a button ...

10 esato
I dinīt like it either, not at that price.
Uncomfortable buttons and a fingerprint magnet.
I really hope there will come a K860 or something.

11) have to say I'm not a fan either, put mine straight on eBay.

12)the bit to the left of the light sensor if you look at the phone from the back (lenghways) when you push it in squeeks

13)ugh, this sounds crap, currently have a k810i which i love to peices - my work offered to get me a company phone of my choice, so i thought of going for either a k850i or a p1i, looks like ill be going for the p1i! any word about this being a bad batch or it getting sorted?

14)Never liked the phone from day 1 when its spy pic started to surface in the rumors section. I remember hoping it wouldn't get to be a working unit and I remember many others beings worried as well. Now the design has actually been approved, and my nightmare came true. I don't know about its ergonomics or functionality but it's not an issue to me when its shell design failed to meet my beauty-o-meter minimum to begin with. Simply ugly, only next to E90-now that's a phone I'd never want to be caught dead with, but that's a different topic.

15)don't like that small hinged cover because if you drop the phone on the floor and it fall on this cover, it will break.

Think i'll stick with my k800i for a while.

16)the camera shutter. I think this problem is a batch problem, I had it occur to me and so has one other member on here I think, and I believe that member also had trouble with a sqeaky casing which I've suffered with. I think the two are linked and are down to a manufacturing fault in that particular batch. If you get yours over the nxt week or so chances are that batch will have cleared through the systems and yours will be fine

17)I hope firmware tweaks can improve the image quality, because for the first time in my life, I can honestly say that the G600, Viewty and N95 all take better pictures than the K850i

18)The camera shots I've taken in my house tonight in darkish light are a little fuzzy to be honest. I'm sure a play with the camera will reveal better pictures, but it was a little dissapointing.

Sorry for small list will post few more soon

Why only post the bad comments? You forgot to put all the good comment s that people are posting to. Currently, from what i have read here at Esato, the views on the K850i are about half of the owners like it and the other half dont. I agree that this is a high proportion of dislikers but you are not showing a fair balance.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 13:36
Heres a few positives for the K850i:
1] Got mine today. Great build quality on mine. No dodgy screen rippling or battery cover.
2] i give it a +10.......
(serious...this is the shit....i have never tried a more robust cell phone)
3] the speakers are MUCH better(louder) then k810.........(k810 have good sound, but fairly low)
the new 3.0 MegaBass is awesome...........
4]its looks MUCH nicer in the real "world"...(the k810 pics i took/showed are not even close)...you have to remove all plastic-film around the phone...then you see what a masterpiece it is...

Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 17:20

On 2007-10-17 04:32:33, mario2004 wrote:

numbers can be interpreted in many ways..you're profits dropped by a third is only a part of the picture...

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/semc/pdf/q307.pdf

Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
ttsng
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 10:49
Actually, is p1 selling good? I heard it cuts the price for N95 clearance sale. Will SE cut P1i price when N95-8G release?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 11:21
@Dragon Eye

As you have so rightly pointed out

"numbers can be interpreted in many ways..you're profits dropped by a third is only a part of the picture."

Indeed there can be many interpretations especially from that great statement but then when everything seems to be increasing such as sales and revenue and yet profit's drop. They then blame how good 2006 was it does look a little strange to say the least.

Plus remember this is the same company that told it's P990 users that it had reached stability and needed no more updates when SE had just introduced two more bugs in what to them was the last ever firmware as far as SE where concerned. Remember only the consumers backlash and campaign made then concede they actually were wrong and forced yet another final firmware.

I also have great difficulty in understanding how when the P990, M600 and W950 were all as far as i remember carried by 02. VodaFone, Orange and i think even 3 may have had the W950. That now when the P1 is launched only one UK Network is selling it and it didn't get it exclusive it's just how it has worked out as no other UK carrier picked it up, how can this be classified as well received. If anyone believes SE are happy that just one carrier in the UK has the P1 instead of them all I'd be interested to hear why they think so.

I would also be interested to know what the situation is like in other Country's as i remember reading quite a few posts where people have said only a certain carrier has it in their Country which is even more confusing as it is a Network that doesn't in the UK.

It's not like all these carriers are anti SE as both VodaFone with their Havana Range and Orange with their special Walkman exclusives still seem happy to sell some SE device's just not the P1. It would be very interesting if someone could get even approx sales figures for the P1 and compare them to sales of the P990 or M600 as that would give a clearer picture as to just how well received it really is.

Also if everything is so good back at SE after the amazing job Miles Flint has done why change the CEO after just a minor blip? unless maybe he is taking the fall for the UIQ3 release.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-18 10:25 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 15:51
Marc... i would intepret the numbers in the following matter..

SE is only selling low range and midrange phones...

they have a non existent highend market right now.. and uiq3 is a failure... the p1i has given the "diehard" users something to hold them over...and even then it's based on a slashed price...

uiq3 phones are cheap right now in comparison to "other" smartphones and rightly so cause the specs aren't there.

even the first post in the thread tells us that SE's marketshare is driven by lowend, marketshare grabbing phones.. that everyone knows doesn't make any money... i just hope these lowend products are still be produced with good quality... or SE is gonna hit motorola syndromme come next year...

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-10-18 14:55 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 16:03
@Dragon Eye

Great post and i agree with all you say other then they may be there already. I just hope the new CEO has the will and the ability to change things.

As you and others know i never saw this move to the mid to low range as a good move especially at the expense of the premium devices as that is the most crowded segment of the market and although may increase turnover produces far less profit.

IMO it is the premium products that attract users as even if they can't afford them they aspire to them and start lower down the range premium product's are what gets you market awareness IMO not budget offerings.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-18 15:03 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 16:24
@ Marc

at the same time expanding the low end /midrange creates so a "cash cow" environment that they can use to fund their R&D. next year should be interesting... i think it'll define SE... everything we've seen this year... have been nothing but band-aid solutions imo.. not saying they're bad products but they are not the products i really want to use...
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2007-10-18 18:19

On 2007-10-18 15:51:49, DragonEye wrote:
... lowend, marketshare grabbing phones.. that everyone knows doesn't make any money...

Its not entirely true. That's actually where Nokia makes lot of money, but you need to sell them in very large quantities to earn decent money I would guess.

In Q3 Nokia sold around 111 million units of which 9 millions were N series and 2 million E series phones. This means that 10% of all Nokia phones sold where more exclusive/expensive phones while the rest were simpler/cheaper models. The drop of ASP from 90 to 82 EUR further confirms this, as well as Nokias own statement that sales of phones below 30 EUR have become a significantly bigger part of their total sales.

For SE, due to their small size its clear that their profit depends more on high end phones than for instance Nokias.

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2007-10-18 17:23 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 101112 ... 161718  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic