Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SAD SE 2007 Portfolio-Hard to digest facts

Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 161718  Next
Author SAD SE 2007 Portfolio-Hard to digest facts
darknoob
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 16:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@sealover94

1.SE tried this year to increase market-share.

2.for your request also nokia doesnt have one:P but wait for P3i , if the rumors right, it will have all of those.
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 16:53

On 2007-10-15 16:31:38, mario2004 wrote:

Then how about the N95 - 8gig ? Nokia does listen !

nokia gives you a beta, crippled n95 and then rapes you with a new 8 gig n95.. oh yeah they listen alright lol..
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 18:35
@Dragon Eye

You know what that is one on he funniest things i have seen in ages even with all the faults that the N95 has had and yes some units more than an acceptable number seem to have suffered from them. At least it was a fully featured Multimedia smart phone with all the latest tech nothing outdated or missing.

We all know unfortunately there is a trend by manufacturers as the products get more complex to release less than perfect devices and fix them whilst a work in progress. Which is not something i agree with from any of them but until we the consumers stop accepting this it isn't going to change.

But at least as Mario says Nokia have fixed things in the Ram and Battery department as the firmware issues had already been fixed and and turned it round much faster. A bit like when they realised there was a problem with the E90 they stopped selling them until now and they have fixed them.

Quite different to SE who just continued selling UIQ3 devices and taking premium prices for months from their loyal customers for a far from premium product.

What did SE do after the UIQ3 disaster? they took nearly a year for the P1 with what an added an extra 64MB Ram, WiFi b and a camera and still the same old lacking hardware from 2005 now that's innervation isn't it, what a massive upgrade in a whole year to have made. Not forgetting on launch they still left 2 of the existing P990 bugs in place that were fixed in the last firmware for the P990 maybe they wanted you to have a reminder of just how far they have come. Funny no word from SE as to what happened to the VOIP app they said it would ship with either just the usual ignore and say nothing attitude.

Well i for one hope the new CEO at least responds to the open letter to him and can turn things around. But IMO if he fails to respond and communicate with his loyal users and customers the writing is on the wall for SE so sad for what was once such a great company .

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-15 17:41 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 19:55
Marc.... please note i'm in no way saying SE has been any better off in this regards... i'm just saying as great as the n95 was on paper ... it had some serious issues with ram, battery and build that shouldn' have been there in the first place...

SE's UIQ has been a mess, finally with the p1i it's slightly salvaged and i mean slightly...

the w960 coming out now should have been fully loaded at least in internal specs... processor and chipset but as of now there is no doubt se is behind in the smartphone war... but there mass market phones are doing well.. so maybe the compnay doesn't care that much.
My P1i Review
MG7
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 21:11
DragonEye

Same shitty HW as P1 except the internal memory.
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 22:52

On 2007-10-15 21:11:58, MG7 wrote:
DragonEye

Same shitty HW as P1 except the internal memory.

that's what i said it "SHOULD" be upgraded but it's not.
My P1i Review
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 23:24
@Dragon Eye

You know i agree completely that all manufacturers are getting away with releasing what i would still classify as works in progress. Whilst i appreciate the devices have indeed become more complex. IMO this is still no excuse and all devices should launch with stable and usable firmware even if a few bugs emerge later they should be minor and fixed quickly. But all this release it as fast as we can and fix things as we go along is wrong and should be stopped, devices shouldn't be released till they have undergone proper Beta testing and passed. As to build quality again premium devices demand a premium build quality anything less is cheating the consumer IMO.

But this is where the real problem lies with us the consumers unless and until we all stop rushing and clamoring for the next do it all ubergadget and thrusting large amounts of cash at the manufacturers they are not going to stop this abhorrent practice as it s currently to easy for them to continue.
So really we only have ourselves to blame our complacency is what means we get what we deserve IMO.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-15 22:26 ]
indup
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-15 23:41
manufacturers are in competition as to who can get the latest and greatest phone to market first even if the product isnt 100% ready for release.
likewise consumers also are in competion to have the product first.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 00:05
@indup

Of course they are no one doubts that but that still doesn't make it right or acceptable only the fact we accept allows it carry on, which is why i say it is us the consumers fault.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-15 23:05 ]
johnny_sg345
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 02:22
whats is this topic is all about.. ? are they sooo desperate to bash SE? don't buy SE then.. go for ur nokia..
some guys here said s500,w880,etc are flops? WTF? but i see those selling well and the users giving good feedbacks.

ask u nokia fans 1 thing... your *innovation* does include super crappy slow responding firmware and ugly looking UI? of course i'm talking about some of the innovative nokia phones.

some ppl are here happy with SE. so let us be. i don't want my phone to do all the stuffs in the world.. calls, music, occasional camera + a user friendly neat looking UI.. thats my high end now..
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 03:20

On 2007-10-16 00:05:28, Dogmann wrote:

Of course they are no one doubts that but that still doesn't make it right or acceptable only the fact we accept allows it carry on, which is why i say it is us the consumers fault.

Couldn't agree more. And you admission of N95 faults makes me wonder why you single out SE in the past, but nevertheless I agree 100% that we the consumer are to blame.

Did you notice I've never owned a P990 or P1? I've never been tempted to by one because they are to my standards not up to scratch yet. I would buy a P990 or P1 happily if they were much cheaper, since I see them as viable platforms now (after many firmware updates), but not at the price they retail for. And tbh I feel the same way about the N95. In my country these phones are 1400AUD or 1200AUD on contract. That's a ridiculous amount of money. And for a phone that has faults, albeit not as bad as P990, it's just not on.

For my money, the K or W series phones are much better value, stable reliable phones with efficient ui's, excellent multimedia suport and good java support (No they are not "smartphones" but they are a lot more flexible than what we have thought of non-smartphones in the past.)

So I know you think I am some SE fanboy, because I dare to defend SE against people who seem to single out SE as being some sort of evil empire, but in my book SE are more responsive atm to mid range buyer opinion than the high end. Since there are WAY more people who buy mid range handsets than high end, I think this is a valid strategy of SE. Yes It is wrong that they release crap uiq3 phones without proper testing. Hopefully they will get on top of this.

I want the W960, but I won't buy it until it's been proven. So I'm no blind fanboy. I will exercise my economic power of demand wisely, don't doubt it.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-10-16 02:23 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 04:03
the p1i has actually become fairly cheap.. it's quite the bargain smartphone.. the w960 will be highway robbery as with all new SE phones... such as the w910 and k850i ...i'm getting a n95-3 this week at a pretty solid price... confident that the beta testing is over... too bad it didnt' receive the full upgrade like the 8 gig n95 though...let's hope the n95-3, iphone and k850i can hold me over till something truly exciting comes out...

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-10-16 03:05 ]
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 08:56
@ Johnny, Don't say too loud 'don't buy se phones' - you know the people might listen to you SE profit dropped by 30% in the 3 quartal alone ! ! !
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 12:09
@Max Wedge

That's because i am really just misunderstood and some things said about me gained credibility without foundation. I wish i had a £ for every time i explained i don't hate SE only how they have behaved.

Firstly hate is a very strong emotion to have about a anything but especially a phone even if it is a smart phone. Also i have used mainly Ericsson and then SE for most of the last 20 odd years by choice no one forced me.

Also again i have never claimed all Nokia's are perfect either and have not justified this as being acceptable either. From above it should be clear to most i find what all manufacturers are doing re releasing non finalised firmware to be wrong and do not accept the argument that because we want them sooner they rush them out. Really IMO nothing should be launched until it reaches the stage where it ready to be, look at the trouble rushing out UIQ3 has caused SE and no i am not having a go just pointing out that external pressure from consumers and most probably internal pressure also forced the release when it was not ready.

Marc

Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 12:27

On 2007-10-16 02:22:03, johnny_sg345 wrote:
whats is this topic is all about.. ? are they sooo desperate to bash SE? don't buy SE then.. go for ur nokia..
some guys here said s500,w880,etc are flops? WTF? but i see those selling well and the users giving good feedbacks.

ask u nokia fans 1 thing... your *innovation* does include super crappy slow responding firmware and ugly looking UI? of course i'm talking about some of the innovative nokia phones.

some ppl are here happy with SE. so let us be. i don't want my phone to do all the stuffs in the world.. calls, music, occasional camera + a user friendly neat looking UI.. thats my high end now..

Well said man. SE has come out with some very innovative repackaging of it's tried and true formfactors. W880 and S500 are indeed nice phones, stylish and well spec'd for their market segment. If I was buying in that segment and price level, I'd be very happy with either.

Of course Nokia's in the same segment are smartphones, and as we keep getting told, apparently this makes them automatically superior to non-smartphones. While this is true in a literal sense, of all the people I know who have Nokia s60 phones, about 10% (and I'm being generous) actually even know they have a smartphone or that they can install thirdparty apps on it. Probably 50% don't even know about the task switcher. I don't know if this demonstrates that Nokia users are either a) stupid, or b) don't particularly care about smartphone features.

I assume b), simply because it would also explain why SE mid range phones are also popular, despite not being smartphones.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 161718  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic