Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 4 ... 121314  Next
Author iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-20 22:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@DragonEye

Thanks i didn't realise that as just read other people were using AT&T sim cards although not the original ones, good to know though thanks.

Marc
Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 00:05
Just remember that none of the current activation hacks have been tested on the v1.1.1 firmware that is in the UK iPhone. It's quite likely Apple have closed the loopholes they used...

Hopefully the hackers will find another way in if that's the case.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 11:36
Hi all,

OK i have a little update as i have just spoken to 02, first bit of news is that if you fail the credit check it will be possible to get a special 02 PAYG Sim to work in the iPhone which means you can use all of it's functionality over WiFi saving you the large contract costs. I also then spoke to another department re getting an unlock code for the iPhone and was told it would not be possible to buy an unlock code for the iPhone and was told it won't be available either.

Now as far as i am concerned this is illegal as EU law says that a Network has to sell you an unlock code they really don't have a choice. So if i buy an iPhone when released here purposely fail the credit check and request a special iPhone PAYG Sim just what are 02 going to do when the refuse to sell me an unlock code? as they will clearly be in breach of my rights and EU law.

Anyone have any views on this latest development?

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-21 10:36 ]
Marc_SE
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 11:57
The first part of your post sounds quite interesting Marc.

The questions begs to be asked: If someone fails the credit check and has to opt for the Special PAYG sim, will they be paying even MORE for the handset then?
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 13:34

On 2007-09-21 11:57:36, Marc_SE wrote:
The first part of your post sounds quite interesting Marc.

The questions begs to be asked: If someone fails the credit check and has to opt for the Special PAYG sim, will they be paying even MORE for the handset then?

No because you would have already paid for the phone at the O2, Apple or Carphone Warehouse store.
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 13:41
@dogmann

So if you fail the credit check and get put on a PAYG tariff, could you then put any O2 sim in it you wanted?
Marc_SE
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 13:57
I didn't realise that the £269 was a SUBSIDISED price?
Mobile 1: 07***118776 Apple iPhone4
Mobile 2: 07***118776 BB Bold 9700
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 14:19
Hi all,

Let's clear this up once and for all the £269 price for the iPhone is outright purchase of the device and it is not subsidised once bought and paid for it is yours end of story. No one can tell you what to do with it or make you return it for a refund.

As to putting a PAYG or other 02 Sim card the answer is no you will need a special 02 Sim card specifically for the the iPhone is what i have been told.

Having said that you don't actually need to try and activate it and fail a credit check once it is released you can just request a PAYG special iPhone Sim card and activate the iPhone with that right from the start.

So those that may want an iPhone but don't want an 18 month contract with unlimited Data and WiFi can have a fully functioning iPhone and just use the data part over WiFi with a special 02 PAYG Sim or pay the relevant charges for PAYG data use.

The only new bit of information is not the above as that should now be clear to all once and for all.

It is the fact that 02 are saying they will not supply an unlock code under any circumstances and as far as i am concerned that is illegal in the EU. Quite simply they do not have the legal right to do this and even though i don't even really think i want a iPhone i may well buy one and then get a 02 PAYG special iphone Sim card and then request an unlock code if as they say they won't unlock it for me i will report them to the relevant authorities both here and in the EU and see how this plays out. But the law is the law and i don't see why or how 02 think they are above it or any different.

It will be very interesting to see exactly how 02 will deal with this scenario as just trying to fob me with will have no effect and i really think they are going t be in big trouble on this one.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-21 13:22 ]
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 14:26
Well I think you need to just look at the current situation in the states which the law recently also allowed them to request an unlock code but AT&T has rebuffed that.

So dont be at all suprised that they have some how worded this into a contract, which I am sure is legal if you sign away your rights that no unlock code will be provided until say the 18 month term is up. They can easily do that.

About the PAYG sim I think there will be another crazy charge somewhere as once again I am sure they know what is going to happen if you look at what happened in the states.

Personally I would just buy one from the states if you really want one and avoid adding another number and another contract to the never ending list.
himlims_nl
T65 blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 14:26
does the iphone come with a free windows xp or mac osx key?
i'm running on linux, and i don't think any company could demand me to use a certain OS (like windows or mac osx)
everyone is free to use whatever he/she wants to use.
i'll ask steve jobs if he could send me a G5 along with the iphone
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 14:35
the OpenMoke was released in November last year and thats a Linux based device

AND GUESS WHAT! Its not locked down in any way!

OpenMoko

Nokia N95 + 2Gb MicroSD + Sony MDR-EX85

[ This Message was edited by: batesie on 2007-09-21 13:36 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 14:52
Maybe it's just because it's Marc that has the bee in his bonnet, but I'm kind of seeing o2/Apple's argument in this. Surely, the whole issue of companies being forced to offer an unlock code by law is to prevent them forcing people being locked into furhter contract with the same operator - but at the point of sale of the Iphone, neither company is asking you to sign any contract. And just as you are under no compulsion whatsoever to sign an airtime contract for the product you have just bought, neither are they compelled to issue you with any unlock code - there is no contract between you and o2 or Apple at this point, so no obligation either way. Even if o2 give you a PAYG sim, I'm sure any contract in that case would cover the sim and the service, not the phone - which is entirely separate, and your own property.

Of course once you've chosen to sign up to the contract through Itunes, I'm sure you'd have the same legal rights as any other contract phone owner - but then you'd also be under obligation for the next 18 months.

I'm quite ready to accept the law may not agree entirely with what I'm saying (I've not seen it) but then again the law was never conceived with this particular situation in mind, and if pressed o2 might actually have a case for challenging it.
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 15:03
as ive been saying for years, when you buy a car, they cant force you to use a single petrol station for your fuel. imagine if they tried putting special shaped filler caps that only fit the special pumps at certain stations!

would you buy a microwave if you could only cook a certain brand of food in it?

its EU competition laws that are standing up for us, the consumer in this day and age and people should not be brain washed into accepting something they dont feel is fair....
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 15:30
Your analogies aren't quite comparable... but car dealers do try to force you only to have repairs done at 'approved' dealers in the terms of the warranties. This is a better analogy to being locked into a particular network for the duration of the contract.

At the end of the day, no-one forces anyone to buy anything. You can always make another choice.

If I want to buy my personal favourite type of bread, I HAVE to get it from Tesco. No other bread maker produces the same bread that I prefer, and so far I've only found it in Tesco. Is that monopolistic?
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 15:34
I can't see how they can tie the phone to one sim card, at the end of the day an o2 sim card is the same as all other o2 sim cards, and the iPhone does not require a 'special' sim. I'm using my o2 contract sim in my Unlocked AT&T iPhone right now.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 121314  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic