Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?

Previous  123 ... 1011 121314  Next
Author iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?
redgaz26
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-03 20:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-10-03 18:13:04, slugworth wrote:
spoke 2 a guy in CPW 2day and he says its exclusive and will stay locked until later next year when it is avilable on a proper PnG tarrif so looks like its o2 or no iphone guys

what do you mean by proper payg tarrif?
so there will be one on release?
but not a proper one?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-03 22:26
@slugworth

I think everyone understands why Apple want to keep the iPhone locked to 02 as it is easily understandable as they will get a kick back from all the monthly charges.

But that really is not the point of this discussion which is if it turns out that people actually purchase and own their iPhone outright it is an illegal practice to keep it locked to one Network and force people to only use that Network.

I don't think anyone has said they don't understand why Apple won't to do this it is only a question of it it is legal to do so or not and until 9th November no one can really give a definitive answer. Same as all the conflicting reports about a special iPhone PAYG Sim existing or not, as some have been told yes whilst others told no only on the 9th November will we know one way or the other for sure.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion on if it is right or not and what should happen it is for now a waiting game we all have no choice but to wait for it's release and then we should get all the answers we need.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-03 21:30 ]
LilyFluffer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-04 02:43
Dogmann,

I´ve read the entire thread and your proposals are entirely sensible, and legally, they'll have no leg to stand on...eventually. However you know they will try to wriggle out of it at first and it will take time. I'd suggest therefore that the fastest way to force their hand is still to buy out the contract, whereby they really are forced into a corner.

You suggest its an exorbitant cost to do so. I disagree. Price up the time spent by people on discovering how to unlock the iPhone. I guarantee that combined it cost them a lot more than 900 quid in terms of opportunity for lost earnings. So under a grand is actually a pretty negligible cost in terms of the research opportunities this potentially provides. And so, if its Apple who have to provide the unlock, they'll have to. Contract paid - give me the unlock please. If they then decline to do so, they really are stupid. No court will side with them.

So for under a thousand quid theres a legally unlocked iPhone, which somewhere with the technical nous can analyse and hopefully provide a better solution for unlocking everyones phone. Hell, why not have a whip round to do it. I'll bung in a tenner just to see what happens, and I don't even want the phone. It'll just be hilarious to see them try and squirm out of this one.

[ This Message was edited by: LilyFluffer on 2007-10-04 01:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: LilyFluffer on 2007-10-04 01:58 ]
crazypink
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-04 09:20
Just caught this post about AT&T refusing an unlock code in the States after a 90 day regulated period set apparently by the FCC!

Check the link! http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=156043
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-04 13:28
@crazypink

That story is why i have said it appears to be Apple locking the phones not the Network.

@LilyFluffer

No i disagree spending close to grand is insane for what if i am right should be done for roughly £20. People already worked out how to unlock an iPhone it's just that with the new firmware and added encryption they can no longer access the areas they need to to. Obviously Apple will have away round it but once it was unlocked it would show nothing new that could be of use it would just be unlocked. I very much doubt it would leave the iPhone without all the new protection in place and just because it was unlocked allow adding apps as in the earlier firmware.

But i really do think we are just going round in circles now speculating on this that and the other when really until the 9th November we just don't know. It i just over a month now and all we can do is wait and see either if the Dev's teams make a break through or if we can force Apple to have to unlock them.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-10-04 12:42 ]
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-10-05 04:42
@redgaz, a current gen phone of this price without HSDPA is hardly the phone of the future. A great web browser on a phone let down by an Edge connection and a 200 meg tariff is not a phone of tomorow. Now a nokia N95 or SE k850I or LG viewty on t mobile and anywhere between 1 and 10 gig download limit - those are the real phones of the future.
redgaz26
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-05 21:35
this is apple's first mobile phone!!!! but what people forget is that it's also their best ever ipod, it's ui is outstanding and it run's OS X the best and most secure OS.
yes it may lack features of other "phones" but it sure makes up for it in style, ease of use and music and video playback!!!!!!!!!!
yes the tarrif's are not the best but you make your own choice with that, no one has to sign a contract.
as an apple fan I cannot wait till the 9th Nov.
but each to their own.
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-10-06 00:46
It is their first phone yes, but that doesnt give excuses for its cost when its lacking decent features, and it doesnt make it the phone of tomorrow.

It would be great phone if it was available on normal tariffs, and if it was free on contracts, but the price is injustified.

As an apple fanboy you should realise that you are being conned into spending more $$$ just for the brand name then the actual product with apple.

Apple could put their brand name on anything half decent (like the iphone) and it would sell like crazy. That is the problem, and why the consumers have to pay so much for the products.
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-10-06 00:51
Don't knock it until you've tried it. I love it how people can criticize something when they haven't so much as looked at or touched it.
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-10-06 00:56

On 2007-10-06 00:51:32, mswallis wrote:
Don't knock it until you've tried it. I love it how people can criticize something when they haven't so much as looked at or touched it.

Dude, I dont need to 'try' the I-phone just to conclude that it would make a poor modem for my PC compared to a K850i do I? That is my primary use now for my mobile, internet.

Im sure its a great fantastic toy to play with. But that doesnt make it a great fantastic phone.

And I havnt critisized the iphone based on what it feels like in the hand, I am critisizing it purely on Cost > Features. The cost of the iphone =/= its features. I would at least expect N95 features on something this expensive. Why apple fanboys dont and think its fine cos its 'apples first phone' and still waste their money on it baffles me.

If the K850i didnt have HSDPA, I wouldnt be getting it regardless of having owned and loved every K series phone up untill now.

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-10-06 00:08 ]
redgaz26
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-06 12:06
the cost of the phone is £269, the cost of an ipod touch with the same storage is £199. so for an extra £70 you get a phone, a camera and texting. how can anyone say this is costly. the tarrif's are a different story. yes they are expensive.
apple would simply not allow the phone to be given away for free.
slugworth
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-07 16:35
im sure the new firmware will be cracked in time and then they will unlock it again and then apple will send more legal threats in the post as they are becomeing as bad as M$ and M$ have just lost a major court case and now everythig they release has to be opensource (or on request) also (software wise) im sure people will end up with an Lpod or an ilinux lol ah well what ya gonna do leave the people to it i say and ill get one in 2 years time when when the iphonev6 is out with no extra space
S500i 4GB M2
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-10-07 23:00
http://www.engadget.com/2007/[....]-france-due-to-unlocking-laws/

Iphone delayed in France due to unlocking laws XD. I guess apple and O2 will be sued in the UK if the phone cant be unlocked at the end of the contract, but by then they should allow it.

Joy.

On 2007-10-06 12:06:48, redgaz26 wrote:
the cost of the phone is £269, the cost of an ipod touch with the same storage is £199. so for an extra £70 you get a phone, a camera and texting. how can anyone say this is costly. the tarrif's are a different story. yes they are expensive.

All Ipods are overpriced in the first place, and the Iphone is also purchased on 18 and 24 month contracts. They easilly make their money back on the contract prices just like all other networks do that give out their phones for free on contract. You know, like phones on contracts are meant to be susidised?

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-10-07 22:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-10-07 22:04 ]
redgaz26
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-07 23:10

On 2007-10-07 23:00:15, Bhavv wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/[....]-france-due-to-unlocking-laws/

Iphone delayed in France due to unlocking laws XD. I guess apple and O2 will be sued in the UK if the phone cant be unlocked at the end of the contract, but by then they should allow it.

Joy.

On 2007-10-06 12:06:48, redgaz26 wrote:

All Ipods are overpriced in the first place, and the Iphone is also purchased on 18 and 24 month contracts. They easilly make their money back on the contract prices just like all other networks do that give out their phones for free on contract. You know, like phones on contracts are meant to be susidised?

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-10-07 22:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-10-07 22:04 ]

ipods are over priced? is that why they have a 70% share in portable music players? a new video ipod nano is over priced at £99? I don't think so.
there maybe apple fanboys but christ there is certainly apple haters out there.
it's simple if you don't want one don't buy it.
you have a choice, stick with your sony's and nokia's!!!!!
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-08 00:05
@redgaz26: Well said!

It's not worth responding to Bhavvs comments - even though he admits he has no interest in the iPhone (fair enough - it's not perfect for everyone) and appears to have an intense but unfounded hatred for anything by Apple, he seems to enjoy and spend much time reading and posting in all the Apple related threads.

There's an official term for such people and they're best ignored.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 1011 121314  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic